Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting and weight lifting

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What does the PF hive mind say?
    Maybe more stretching and less weight-lifting while fasting? Stretching is also very important, if you want to become a strong and fast leopard.
    No drinking does not sound good to me. Pure water or herbal tea are very healthy and have very few calories.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    @BehindBlueI's the feeling of well-being you are experiencing is probably Ketosis . The science behind intermittent fasting/keto diets/etc isn't super thoroughly fleshed out but I know lots of people that swear by it and have had good results.
    I used keto to jump-start my weight loss and get my blood work back in normal ranges but knew it wasn't sustainable for me long term. I did lose 30-ish lbs permanently but then went to a more "eat less/exercise more" and some "intermittent fasting" to lose the other 30, albeit slower. Which is fine.

I don't recall feeling like this, and the only difference is the weight lifting, which is what got me thinking if the hormone release from lifting was a factor.

And I completely get this isn't sustainable either, my ex-partner's son just graduated the Academy and I'm fasting in preparation to eat pizza and wings at his congrats party.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Maybe more stretching and less weight-lifting while fasting? Stretching is also very important, if you want to become a strong and fast leopard.
    No drinking does not sound good to me. Pure water or herbal tea are very healthy and have very few calories.
    Right, and I'm drinking water and coffee and the occaisonal Coke Zero now. Fasting for religious purposes requires no drinking, as well, but this isn't for that and that's just from sunrise to sunset, a relatively short stretch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    And I completely get this isn't sustainable either, my ex-partner's son just graduated the Academy and I'm fasting in preparation to eat pizza and wings at his congrats party.
    Ah, a man with his priorities in order!

Hammertime
    For what it matters: I don’t think it matters at all if you fast or not for a workout. If you are used to fasting it will be easier for you just because your body has adapted to that state than if you are used to continuously feeding the blood glucose.

I also think we worry way too much about dehydration during hour or less sessions. Humans tolerate dehydration mostly fine.

Essentially humans are really adaptable.

It may not be ideal if you are in your 20s and trying to pack on maximum muscle or are a serious bodybuilder. They have to eat. A lot. But they can always do that in non fasting hours as well it is just hard to eat that many calories in a short period of time. I suspect most of us on PF are not in that demographic.

Site Supporter
    I have always been sensitive to not eating enough. Not only do I get in a bad mood, but I feel light headed and sometimes even see "streaks/stars". It often has little to do with how much physical activity I am doing, though physical activity eventually increases my appetite.

The last couple of days I have ate a lot less than normal, despite walking over four miles in serious heat in all my duty gear. Plus I lifted weights on both days, and I do not feel like the above. However, I am eating, and if I don't have something like peanut butter and crackers later in the evening, I will start to feel HORRIBLE.

I drink zero booze, but I drink a lot of diet soda. My water consumption is around one gallon per day, but I usually do not take water with me to the gym.

At 5 ft 4 inches, I weigh 180 pounds. Ideally I would like to lose some of my body fat as I have a bit of a belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    For what it matters: I don’t think it matters at all if you fast or not for a workout. If you are used to fasting it will be easier for you just because your body has adapted to that state than if you are used to continuously feeding the blood glucose.

I also think we worry way too much about dehydration during hour or less sessions. Humans tolerate dehydration mostly fine.

Essentially humans are really adaptable.

It may not be ideal if you are in your 20s and trying to pack on maximum muscle or are a serious bodybuilder. They have to eat. A lot. But they can always do that in non fasting hours as well it is just hard to eat that many calories in a short period of time. I suspect most of us on PF are not in that demographic.
    I'm in my 40s, and am not concerned with an instagram ready body. I just want to stay relatively strong, flexible, healthy, and be able to enjoy retirement.

I just completed a ten day water and black coffee fast and lost 18 lbs. On the even days I used a German Volume Training hypertrophy protocol of 10x10 of 50% 1RM with 120 seconds between sets. On the even days I did one hour of BJJ and one hour of Muay Thai back to back. I supplemented with a ketone ester that has not been released to market yet to kick me into ketosis as a pre workout load and targeted fat as fuel which I need on 0 calories a day. Finally so I could do it each day I used 3 IU of growth hormone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I just completed a ten day water and black coffee fast and lost 18 lbs. On the even days I used a German Volume Training hypertrophy protocol of 10x10 of 50% 1RM with 120 seconds between sets. On the even days I did one hour of BJJ and one hour of Muay Thai back to back. I supplemented with a ketone ester that has not been released to market yet to kick me into ketosis as a pre workout load and targeted fat as fuel which I need on 0 calories a day. Finally so I could do it each day I used 3 IU of growth hormone.
    What exercises were you doing?

How did you feel physically?

Just the thought of not eating makes me feel sick.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Just the thought of not eating makes me feel sick.
    Me too. But I GREATLY respect SouthNarc, and 18 pounds is almost half way to my goal for the year.

BUT, after July 1 I will be seeking tx for low T, hoping it will jumpstart things. Despite intermittent fasting seriously for the last six weeks and working out, eating veggies as my primary source of calories on a daily basis I have lost four pounds. Four whole pounds.

pat

User Tag List