Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me discover more about this Walther P38?

Can anyone help me discover more about this Walther P38?

I'm trying to help a friend discover the value of this P38.
    I haven't seen anything like this model on gunbroker and this isn't my strong suit, but my friend knows I'm at least better than him - lol!
    TIA

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It's not a P38, but a Luger [/pendant]
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm trying to help a friend discover the value of this P38.
    I haven't seen anything like this model on gunbroker and this isn't my strong suit, but my friend knows I'm at least better than him - lol!
    TIA

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    That's not a P38, that's a Luger P08.

Was that a typo on your part?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

That is the rustiest Luger I ever saw. All that can be said is that it is a P 08 as made from 1913 til 1943.

It might could be made into a functional Zoid Pitted Special.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's not a P38, that's a Luger P08.

Was that a typo on your part?
    I saw 38 somewhere on one of the pictures and thought it was a P38. It's my bad. Thanks for the catch.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I'll give him four nickles and five pennies for it. It's too rusty for much more than that.

Here is a reference for proof marks on different parts of the gun - http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/GLP.php

IF any thing can be discerned through the rust then this will be a source to start figuring it out.

I saw 38 somewhere on one of the pictures and thought it was a P38. It's my bad. Thanks for the catch.
    No problem :-)

There was a time when I couldn't tell the difference either.

If 38 is somewhere in the pics, identifying why might lead you to find out more about this one. Otherwise, RevolverRob is steering you right.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

There are two places to find "38" on a Luger. The last two digits of the serial number on a small part or a 1938 chamber date which would tie it down closely.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Likely a shooter at best-but only after a credible gunsmith examination and some basic clean-up and repair.

Are the component parts (including magazines) serialized to the gun?

Possibly suitable for restoration, but a competant restorer is expensive, and the intrinsic value will likely be compromised.

Possibly a parts gun, or a wall hanger.

Unless-and here's a potentially big "unless" there's a known provable provinance about the specific gun and it's accessories; is so, and if there's value ascribed to the provinance the value of the gun as is could skyrocket.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Like most P38s of late antiquity, it was probably used in the second Babylonian invasion of the Ottoman Empire, under the leadership of General Belisarius, likely becoming rusty after falling into the river Styx in an ill-fated cavalry charge. At least that's my first impression after seeing it.

User Tag List