Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme newbie question: recommendations on cleaning supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Are there any recommendations on cleaning kits and lubricants?

I am a big fan of the Rogers cleaning kits:

https://www.rogersshootingschool.com...s/gunclean.php

They are very small and fit in a range bag and give you lots of brushes and squeegee's.
    Bill Rogers, who designed this kit, also designs the Safariland holster, so he knows as
    much about guns as anyone. The only disadvantage to the kits is that the bore cleaner/lubricant
    bottles get brittle and eventually break and you loose their contents. However the bottles
    are small so you are probably getting near empty anyway. I buy a new kit ever couple of
    years and keep an extra lubricant bottle on hand (just some slip2000 or similar).

Also I like the Borka torque wrench. The kit I have comes in a little pouch that reminds me of the Rogers cleaning kit, I keep it handy as it has all the little screwdrivers, hex wrenches that I need for the minor gunsmithing
    that comes up when cleaning (tightening optics attachments, replacing batteries, etc.) I am not normally
    a handy guy and I do not have a tool box full of screwdrivers and wrenches, so keeping these two small bags (cleaning kit, tool kit) around is about all I need.

Borka Tool Kit (BTK)
    http://shooterstools.com/Pages/BTD/btdkits.html

Oh, and when I joined this forum, people used to talk more about taking classes at Rogers Shooting School,
    I recommend that everyone take a week long class there some time in their shooting career.

https://www.rogersshootingschool.com/
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I've bought lots of lubricants for a couple of reasons:
    1. Found them cheap (damaged freight store, Harry Epstein's, filler for Amazon order in one case, etc).
    2. Because I plan on reusing the bottle. (like the designs and keeping them with range bags/gear)

My favorite was a Hoppe's lube needler bottle, my father picked up several of, for using as oilers on his leather sewing machine. I told him to watch for more, as they were a dollar each.
    I don't really keep grease with all the gear, but I do use it. It tends to stay in places through my range sessions, so I can leave it at home. I've used several of these as well (TW25B, Superlube, some sort of little gun lube tube that looks/smells like red lithium grease, on and on). My favorites are inexpensive, food grade lubes (superlube around $3 at harbor freight), or TW25B, when I found it for $10 a tube (wished they had more). Look at the tempeture range and your location.
    I have patches and brushes that came in a giant kit (big gun cleaning kit that was $17), and patches will be replaced with bits of worn t shirts. Rags, are those microfiber rags, that were a present from work (free). Brush comes with the gun, but I still like/prefer the boresnakes, as they fit well in a range bag (left with them) and I can use them at the range if needed). Brushes and dental picks can be toothbrushes, or inexpensive brushes picked up elsewhere. Dental picks I haven't really used, but some of my garage hand cleaners came with fingernail cleaners that are effectively those. Others were an inexpensive Amazon add on (get to free shipping cost, thing).

The two things I tend not to use are used motor oil (don't want any metal out of an engine, normally a bottle would have enough sticking to the side to eliminate that chance) and Froglube. (read it doesn't mix well with other stuff and most of the stuff I use is a mineral oil base that goes well with other mineral oil based lubes between shooting/cleaning sessions.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Looks like I've got options.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Let us not forget that he made students with dry weapons use Vagisil as lube and it worked
    Yeah, when I am teaching carbine classes I have a tube in my pocket. To keep the Legend alive!

pat

Lots of brake cleaner recommendations - I'd avoid that stuff.

As folks have commented, a gun will run dirty and lubed, but not dirty and dry. Brake cleaner will strip all the lube off your gun that you spent some time, effort, and money putting on your gun.

With a good CLP (it is a category of product, not a brand), and most of them are good, there is no need to strip all the lube off your gun unless you're trying to get something to stick to your gun like sight paint.

I get folks like to have an aerosol to blast stuff on the gun, and that's probably why folks choose brake cleaner, but there are several CLP's available as an aerosol and if you have to have an aerosol, I'd choose one of those.
    Last edited by JTQ; 06-28-2020 at 11:23 AM.

A couple of Glock cleaning/lubing videos with CLP's

Hickok45 with Ballistol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

Mrgunsngear with BreakFree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3yOdghX94

Lubing with SLIP2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlAu6AVyQY

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Let us not forget that he made students with dry weapons use Vagisil as lube and it worked
    Some people on this forum may or may not have snuck some dabs of vagisil onto their foreheads before doing rounds of mountain goat drills in ECQC.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

[i]Rich's Obligatory Lubricant Market Survey (Prices circa 2016)

Fireclean 2 oz. $9.97 / oz

Canola oil, Crisco pure, 48 oz. $0.06 / oz
    Now there is an interesting comparison. Fancy packaging and canola oil can be sold for a 16516% increase in price, yippee!

Lately I've been using simple green (undiluted) to clean my pistols. Doesn't get the barrel perfectly clean, but I'm not picky about that.

Any harm in using a water based cleaner? Seems to do an adequate job and I imagine it's not as hard on the plastic frame as brake cleaner or solvents.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

Any harm in using a water based cleaner?
    Which "water based cleaner"?

User Tag List