Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

Just my opinion, but I would think that trying to make it as a new martial arts studio - especially BJJ - right now would be about the worst career move you can make.

BJJ has become more mainstream but its still a tough sell to newcomers. Even if COVID-19 died out tomorrow, lot of folks will have second thoughts about swapping sweat and air with strangers. The hardcore practitioners will come back, but folks that might have tried it before and gotten hooked on it now won't take the introductory lesson. The TMAs, to a lesser extent, will have the same problem.

I can imagine a lot of martial arts gyms will close.

I would move back to Franklin, TN, where I lived for a while.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    @YVK, thank you for this comment. I would not have thought it to be the case because the ballroom circuit has a lot of very good LDS dancers. We kind of automatically concluded that ballroom was actively supported in Utah, and it gives me a sad to find out otherwise. It takes Utah off our "Possible" list.
    A quick search shows there's quite a few classes & places for ballroom/swing/salsa/ tango dancing the the Salt Lake City area. One website- https://www.utahballroomdance.com
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Huntsville, AL resident here. The FBI is also rapidly expanding down here. Entry level contract positions should be growing a lot over the next 2 years. Clearances (TS) required to start at the moment but that may change.

Lots of property out in the county (Madison, Morgan, Marshall) where you can find places on 1-4 acres, low sales and property tax, and still have a 30-40 minute commute into Huntsville proper. We just bought a place like that last month. I can shoot in my yard, sales tax is 4% locally, 40 minutes straight shot to my work on Redstone Arsenal.

Huntsville is in the foothills of the Appalachians. Not as big as the Smokies further east but whatever you call it there's plenty of attractive, mountainous terrain features walling in the East side of the city, and nothing but mountains getting bigger the farther east/northeast you go. Hiking trails and national parks are everywhere. Easy commute to Birmingham or Nashville for a bigger city downtown experience. Huntsville's downtown is rapidly improving, too.

I can think of a couple of BJJ, MT, MMA gyms off the top of my head. I haven't been to one on years, but I believe the demand for training is here and will continue to grow.

I have lived here for 15 years now and really enjoy it. I've lived all over the country....DC, Kansas, North and South Cali, lived in Japan, England, Germany, Middle East. Huntsville is pretty solid.

I grew up in CA so I know just how great the weather is but I have lived in TX and FL for a long time and I am used to freedom. I love the west coast and were I to leave FL I would not consider CA but I would consider WA but only outside of Seattle due to the stupid high COL. As others have said AL is surprisingly good, I lived there 1 year and I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Out west I still like TX and TX needs more sensible voters. I think I would like Montana and WY but I've never looked into it. I have heard good things about Omaha NB.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Overland Park, KS (and nearby Lenexa, kind of a hidden gem) is one of the best places to live and work in the country. An economy that's been booming for 30 years, constitutional carry including cross-border, generally nice people, and exactly the right size to have all the services and none of the traffic. We got a little bluish in 2016 and 2018 but Kansans are conservative and I am optimistic for a rebound. Lots of folks operate successful MA studios. Great place to eat, OUTSTANDING place to raise a family either in a secular manner (the public schools are the best in the country) or responsibly.
    People often dismiss Kansas as fly over country. That works in our favor as it keeps the California cancer at bay, but it's to their loss. I grew up in KC and currently live outside of Wichita. I've been all over the world and most of the US, Kansas is just fine with me. If it weren't for my wife's job and an elderly mother in law living down the street, I wouldn't mind moving back up to KC. We don't have awe inspiring mountain ranges, beaches or ski slopes, but what we do have are people who generally have their heads screwed on straight. KC has a pretty active music and theatre scene as well as great BBQ.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    People often dismiss Kansas as fly over country. That works in our favor as it keeps the California cancer at bay, but it's to their loss. I grew up in KC and currently live outside of Wichita. I've been all over the world and most of the US, Kansas is just fine with me. If it weren't for my wife's job and an elderly mother in law living down the street, I wouldn't mind moving back up to KC. We don't have awe inspiring mountain ranges, beaches or ski slopes, but what we do have are people who generally have their heads screwed on straight. KC has a pretty active music and theatre scene as well as great BBQ.
    I've never given KS serious consideration but there's a lot of love coming through in this thread. My only experience with KS has been some consulting work in KC long ago. I barely got outside of work and the hotel. And the occasional drive down I-70 between Denver and I-35 for vacations in CO. I-70 is only memorable for the constant windstorms.

I'll be looking for an excuse to visit again once the world settles down.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've never given KS serious consideration but there's a lot of love coming through in this thread. My only experience with KS has been some consulting work in KC long ago. I barely got outside of work and the hotel. And the occasional drive down I-70 between Denver and I-35 for vacations in CO. I-70 is only memorable for the constant windstorms.

For most, if they have any memory of Kansas it's driving through on I-70. That gives them the impression that nothing's here, which is understandable. Heck, when I was a kid my dad retired from the USMC. We moved from Hawaii to Kansas. Even then I asked, "wouldn't most people do the opposite?". We spent thirteen years living in the southwestern part of the state and you couldn't pay me enough to got back out there, but the eastern side has a lot going for it.

Ultimately, I've always felt that who you're with is more important than where you're at. That philosophy has guided a lot of my personal and professional decisions.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Frankly it's mostly settled down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    @YVK, thank you for this comment. I would not have thought it to be the case because the ballroom circuit has a lot of very good LDS dancers. We kind of automatically concluded that ballroom was actively supported in Utah, and it gives me a sad to find out otherwise. It takes Utah off our "Possible" list.
    There's actually a very active social dance scene in Salt Lake County and I believe Utah County as well. In addition to Ballroom Utah, there's at least a couple others; the best known is DF Dance Studio. There's free concerts at Gallavan Plaza in downtown Salt Lake City and usually free lessons ahead of each one.

User Tag List