Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I think @YVK and @SecondsCount would back me up on Utah. Lots of growth and lots of opportunities here. Davis County would be my suggestion.
    Utah is definitely gun friendly and yes, we're growing.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Thanks. TBH, I don't think so, but I haven't looked as I'm still trying to run the business.
    https://nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/...kers/training/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I think @YVK and @SecondsCount would back me up on Utah. Lots of growth and lots of opportunities here. Davis County would be my suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Utah is definitely gun friendly and yes, we're growing.
    I was considering to suggest our home state, I saw this thread when it had only one reply, but decided against. Main reason is my uncertainty of a market for training, in his case, martial training business. Based on experience with firearms, I never had an impression that Utahns wanted to spend much money on training. Very few instructors have made it a recurrent stop, and BaiHu needs consistency. @SecondsCount, you were involved in running a niche training outfit, you are better positioned to speak if such endeavor provided enough income to live on.
    My wife had to drive one hour one way for her dancing lessons because there is nothing closer, and there's nothing closer because there's no demand.
    I do know a person who takes BJJ, I can ask, but my overall impression is that folks here just take it to the mountains and trails, and ranges, on the weekends rather than buy instructions.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Student
    On a related note, Brian and Shelley Hill decided to close Fusion MMA. They're in Georgia.

Florida checks a lot of your boxes, but although we're mostly free in most counties, I feel as though we're one popular vote from an AWB. Anywhere there is the density you want for business, you won't like the politics. Normally if you moved in winter you could get a job, but we're retarded about Covid19 so that probably won't hold true this year.

If I were leaving here, my first choice would be AZ, followed by TX.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

North AL and south or east TN.

PM me if you want the scoop on n AL.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    North AL and south or east TN.

PM me if you want the scoop on n AL.

Regards.
    As a resident of central AL I’ll second this. I’ve met a few transplants from other parts of the country, plus people I went to school with who moved to north Al and ended up liking it more than they thought they would. The Huntsville metro area is the fastest growing part of the state, and it’s bringing in good paying jobs.

In addition to economic considerations another nice thing about the area is you’re an easy day trip from either the Smokey Mountains or gulf coast beaches, and I think you would be happy with the lower cost of living compared to the northeast.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    As a resident of central AL I’ll second this. I’ve met a few transplants from other parts of the country, plus people I went to school with who moved to north Al and ended up liking it more than they thought they would. The Huntsville metro area is the fastest growing part of the state, and it’s bringing in good paying jobs.

In addition to economic considerations another nice thing about the area is you’re an easy day trip from either the Smokey Mountains or gulf coast beaches, and I think you would be happy with the lower cost of living compared to the northeast.
    Day trips are great from here. My wife and I have found all sorts of good things close by.

They say that we will be the largest city eventually. I will say that we are seeing some liberal stuff coming in with the growth but for now, it's where I want to be.

I'm not sure about the martial arts community but I have a buddy that runs classes and can certainly ask him about the pulse of that.

I'm new here, don't know any forum members in person, and don't know a ton about your market in my area, but I'll be a gadfly and just throw this out there for consideration.

I live in one of the two or three urban areas in central Iowa. Downsides up front - Des Moines and the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area don't exactly compare to Memphis, Atlanta, etc. (though as Hambo points out above that has its upsides). And while we have frequent 90 degree days in summer, winter wind chill temps can hit the -20F range. And all I can say about martial arts is that BJJ is definitely a thing here, and I know there's a gym in Iowa City that hosts Craig for EWO every year (haven't attended yet but I'm planning to - I did get to take ECQC in state by just driving the relatively short distance to Council Bluffs).

Upsides. This state is very pro 2A. A few years ago we actually passed a large piece of legislation expanding gun rights in various ways (exe. legalized NFA items besides machineguns, made carry permit renewals easier, took away governor's ability to confiscate firearms under martial law, passed stand your ground). Our carry permits are very easy to get and enjoy reasonable reciprocity. They're also "permits to carry weapons" that cover things besides handguns. Taxes are very tolerable, which means there's some growth in terms of people fleeing IL, and my understanding is they don't tend to be the types who are going to vote to turn IA into IL. The urban centers are blue, but their populations are way too low to really affect anything on the state level, and we have state preemption on firearms law. And as far as opening up, we're definitely on the aggressive side, with businesses allowed open without capacity limitations - just have to follow social distancing practices for now. Our transmissions are also up, but that's another story.

Thanks for this. I wasn't trying to be lazy about looking, I've just been prioritizing some more time critical components to my current position.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List