Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

Tenn. gets my vote.

I was born in Brooklyn NY .. lived Queens NY .. moved to .. Connecticut

Retired 14 years ago to Middle Tn.

I’d love to recommend N Idaho, but I’m just not sure of the job market for your skills. Let me look into it a bit. Also, we have winter.

That said, Boise is a little more temperate, has a hot economy, and has a decent college/university scene. They do have some MA schools though, including a Gracie gym.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I like the idea of TN. Any specific city/town? Jobs, people you know? PF members in TN?
    I like eastern Tennessee more than middle. There are lots of good places to live, though. Just not Memphis.

I live in Cottontown ... I like it.. your around 37 miles from Nashville and close to Kentucky.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3

BaiHu, my friend, it’s been too long. We need people like you in Virginia. While the state is in very bad shape, there is very active resistance. There’s really nowhere safe in the US anymore – I tell everyone that we can’t run forever. We’re going to have to make a stand at some point and see if we truly have the numbers we believe we do.

Happy to discuss in greater detail…

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    BaiHu, my friend, it’s been too long. We need people like you in Virginia. While the state is in very bad shape, there is very active resistance. There’s really nowhere safe in the US anymore – I tell everyone that we can’t run forever. We’re going to have to make a stand at some point and see if we truly have the numbers we believe we do.

Happy to discuss in greater detail…
    Where about in VA. I'll be in the Culpepper area soon. You left NJ not too far back, right?
    ETA: Doh! I finally made sense of the handle. Let's talk offline soon. You've still got my number, right? I got yours.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Come to California. You aren’t used to freedom, and we have better weather than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsius View Post
    Come to California. You aren’t used to freedom, and we have better weather than anywhere else.
    Thanks, but no thanks. Only if you're looking to create the PFAZ: Pistol Forum Autonomous Zone.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

You mentioned two desiderata. For a list of gun friendly states, you might glance at the most recent Guns & Ammo list of Best States for Gun Owners: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-owners/369075 . There are other state characteristics you might consider important: https://www.freedominthe50states.org/ You can google and find a ton of relocation websites if you wish.

In terms of business, if you're not independently wealthy you might consider a big city. Big cities are where the opportunities lie, and comfortable little communities always surround big mega-cities. Best of both worlds: jobs and good neighbors.

Both the state and the city should be gaining population. No sense in starting a business only to lose customers every year due to things you can't control. The city should have limited room for expansion. Examples would be Miami (Everglades to the south, Atlantic to the east. The west is limited. Can mostly only grow to the north. Another example might be Salt Lake City. Yet a third might be a city blocked on two or more sides by national parks or forests. The reason to seek a growing population in an area of limited land availability is that property you buy has a chance of reasonable appreciation (more people into a fixed area equals higher land prices).

New emigrants to a city probably have fewer links to established businesses, leaving opportunity for you to solicit to them through the web. Alternatively, a personable martial artist could teach unarmed skills at multiple locations: a gun store might sponsor a class; you could teach a semester class at one or more community colleges, or you might offer to speak on unarmed self-defense to women's groups. If you have a little money, you might build-out a manicure salon and rent the chairs. Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a manicure salon, and they all seem to be doing well.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wyoming. Jobs in the oil industry (I can help, maybe)
    These are going to be much much tighter than 6 months ago. Field hasn’t been hit as hard as corporate offices but hiring is probably way down with $35/BO. (14+ years in the industry and been through 5+ rounds layoffs in the past 5 years)

User Tag List