Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 86

Thread: I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

  1. #71
    Member Trooper224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wichita
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've never given KS serious consideration but there's a lot of love coming through in this thread. My only experience with KS has been some consulting work in KC long ago. I barely got outside of work and the hotel. And the occasional drive down I-70 between Denver and I-35 for vacations in CO. I-70 is only memorable for the constant windstorms.

    I'll be looking for an excuse to visit again once the world settles down.
    My wife and I both have family out in California. When I left at the end of '91 I vowed never to return and I've stayed true thus far. My wife's been out several times for family things, but I have no desire. A brother in law from San Francisco visited and when he found out what we'd paid for our house, his jaw hit the floor. Our best friends now live in Houston and I'd often thought of Texas, but the state is swinging California left at an ever increasing rate. Our daughter lives in Georgia, our youngest son in Virginia and the oldest son used to live in W. Virginia. Every time I visit I don't feel like I can breath until I get home and step off the plane. I guess I've lived in the open spaces for too long. Last year I was in Florida and I enjoyed the beach, an old sailor needs the sea from time to time. However, the sweaty ball sack humidity wasn't for me. I think I'm where I belong.
    We may lose or we may win, but we will never be hear again.......

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I think @YVK and @SecondsCount would back me up on Utah. Lots of growth and lots of opportunities here. Davis County would be my suggestion.
    Only big downside to northern Utah is the housing market is insanity (expensive, with low availability), and not likely to get better (cheaper, more available) any time soon. SLC itself has a pretty liberal bent to it, but overall the northern Utah area is pretty conservative. Outdoor recreation here is quite great... with a variety of activities and landscapes available for enjoyment. It does get more busy, even outside of town, all the time. I like it here, but I've always lived here.

    Wife grew up in Idaho, near Boise, and we frequently travel up that way... Boise is still pretty nice, but is growing fast. Some of that growth is driven by folks fleeing CA/OR/WA... Most of the rest of the state is pretty rural, which isn't a bad thing. I could see myself living in Idaho, but I'd probably choose a smaller town, vs Boise and surrounding areas.

  3. #73
    Site Supporter SecondsCount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I was considering to suggest our home state, I saw this thread when it had only one reply, but decided against. Main reason is my uncertainty of a market for training, in his case, martial training business. Based on experience with firearms, I never had an impression that Utahns wanted to spend much money on training. Very few instructors have made it a recurrent stop, and BaiHu needs consistency. @SecondsCount, you were involved in running a niche training outfit, you are better positioned to speak if such endeavor provided enough income to live on.
    My wife had to drive one hour one way for her dancing lessons because there is nothing closer, and there's nothing closer because there's no demand.
    I do know a person who takes BJJ, I can ask, but my overall impression is that folks here just take it to the mountains and trails, and ranges, on the weekends rather than buy instructions.
    South of SLC would be better dollar wise but the area around Bountiful and Farmington seem to have money to spend.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

  4. #74
    Member Les Pepperoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SRQ - Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Paging @Les Pepperoni for local BJJ situation on the West coast of Florida. (Not sure if the Sunshine State is an option, but we do like guns here. )
    Someone else mentioned FL... I'm "newish" here in FL, myself... While the gun-climate is pretty decent, there are erosions to the current affairs probably coming.
    The state is hit or miss with work - near Tampa, a lot of it is seasonal, subject to weather, pandemics, etc.

    I'd love to paint it a rosy picture, but I think some of the other NY'ers and NJ'ers are already in the process of getting down here since the NY/NJ situation is so kittened.

    Good luck - if you decide on FL, just DM - I'm not on here quite as often, but often enough.

  5. #75
    Marginally Relevant NH Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Have not read the entire thread, but just in case: as a former New Yorker living in NH for the last 12 years, my only regret is that I didn't make the move sooner. Though Boston-commuting Massholes continue to move to southern NH and make it their bedroom community (and bring their liberal votes with them), it remains a great place to live in many ways if living in the northeast interests you.

    FWIW

  6. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NW Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I'd love to paint it a rosy picture, but I think some of the other NY'ers and NJ'ers are already in the process of getting down here since the NY/NJ situation is so kittened.
    I think Florida has been in that process for decades?

    I think if you go to a Rays vs Red Sox or Rays vs Yankees/Mets game, you'll probably find more Red Sox/Yankees/Mets fans than Rays fans.

  7. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NW Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Though Boston-commuting Massholes continue to move to southern NH and make it their bedroom community (and bring their liberal votes with them), ...
    It is kind of sad to see the "Live Free or Die" state (I loved seeing those plates when I lived in Maine) has voted for the Democrat in six of the last seven presidential races.

  8. #78
    Member BaiHu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In front of pixels.
    In random news today I just found out that my father is moving to Ft Meyers within the year, so.....that just expanded our escape from NJ radius. Anyone here live near or around the area that can speak on:

    1. property value fluctuation.
    2. safety.
    3. condo vs stand alone.
    4. weather concerns/mitigation.
    5. schools, schools, schools.
    6. job market.
    7. freedom vis a vis masks and 2A. I know it's better than NJ, but are you losing ground?

    TIA
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

  9. #79
    Wag more, Bark less RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    In random news today I just found out that my father is moving to Ft Meyers within the year, so.....that just expanded our escape from NJ radius. Anyone here live near or around the area that can speak on:

    1. property value fluctuation.
    2. safety.
    3. condo vs stand alone.
    4. weather concerns/mitigation.
    5. schools, schools, schools.
    6. job market.
    7. freedom vis a vis masks and 2A. I know it's better than NJ, but are you losing ground?

    TIA
    Mrs. RJ is a retired Realtor with contacts still working. Real Estate in FL is on fire right now, I don't recall the exact number but 6% price increase over last year? Many buyers are paying cash, and especially hot is the $100 to $250K condo market. Properties are snapped up in days if not hours. We have many buyers from NY and NJ, which is fine.

    Safety - Well that's pretty subjective. Much depends on where you end up living. There are parts of Tampa that are "unsafe" meaning I would prefer not to be there. I mean, not Chiraq or Memphis or East St Louis unsafe, but let's say not as safe as you'd like. (Personal opinion alert We went to a car-related weekend event planned at the Edison/Ford estate in Ft Meyers. Downtown sucked. I mean, we stopped at the Publix on McGregor and Clifford just at dusk, it was not a great place to be. I'm sure there are nice places in Ft Meyers, of course.

    Condo vs Stand alone - We owned a Condo in Clearwater. I would never do it again. You get all the disadvantages of an apartment (idiot neighbors, people clomping around upstairs) with none of the benefits of a stand alone house (no yard, no BBQ grill space).

    Weather - It's freakishly hot and humid for three months of the year, then it's just hot the other nine months. Florida would not exist without Air Conditioning. You do get used to seeing 108F on your dash gauge and thinking, well, that's a little warm.

    Schools - Are good. Obviously, "depending" on where you are.

    Job Market - I'm just retired this year, so can't say I'm active. I'd check indeed.com for opportunities. For sure, I see a lot of "hiring" signs.

    Freedom - Masks are a way of life, but people are dealing with it. You go to a restaurant, wear a mask, take if off when you sit down. Same for haircuts, just wear the dang thing. Same in Lowe's. Everybody is in the same boat.

    2A - Florida is good for 2A. No open carry is allowed, except in certain circumstances (e.g. camping) which personally I am fine with. There are many many CCWers here. Millions; I don't know the exact number but it's very high. Ammo is hard to find, but that's life these days. Many large and small gun stores in many communities.

    Florida divides into regions, so it is very difficult to generalize, but I'll try. Most everybody is from somewhere else, so you have this weird blend of cultures going on. Miami is big with Cuban and South American culture. It is my absolute least favorite part of the State. The Keys are like another planet. Life changes when you cross the sound and get on A1A.

    East coast all the way up to St Augustine is suburbs, Miami North, and the Space Coast. Orlando is The Rat and tourists, mainly. North and central around Ocala is horse country and rich folks. Center and south of about Tampa is Orange Groves, and more Orange Groves.

    Panhandle is the Redneck Riviera and Eglin AFB and Hulrburt Field. In there is Pensacola, Navy Town. Tallahassee is it's own zip code, being the Capital and all. Gainsville the same, for Gator Fans.

    Where we live, West Coast from Tarpon Springs down to Naples, is the broadest / most normal area of the state I've found. There's no state income tax, but local tax can be hefty (we are in Hillsborough, at 8.5% the highest in the state). Car taxes and fees are ridiculously low. Oddly, all the DMV offices I've ever used are incredibly efficient and well run.

    My 0.02 anyways, hope this helps.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
    — J. C. Watts

  10. #80
    Member BaiHu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In front of pixels.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Mrs. RJ is a retired Realtor with contacts still working. Real Estate in FL is on fire right now, I don't recall the exact number but 6% price increase over last year? Many buyers are paying cash, and especially hot is the $100 to $250K condo market. Properties are snapped up in days if not hours. We have many buyers from NY and NJ, which is fine.

    Safety - Well that's pretty subjective. Much depends on where you end up living. There are parts of Tampa that are "unsafe" meaning I would prefer not to be there. I mean, not Chiraq or Memphis or East St Louis unsafe, but let's say not as safe as you'd like. (Personal opinion alert We went to a car-related weekend event planned at the Edison/Ford estate in Ft Meyers. Downtown sucked. I mean, we stopped at the Publix on McGregor and Clifford just at dusk, it was not a great place to be. I'm sure there are nice places in Ft Meyers, of course.

    Condo vs Stand alone - We owned a Condo in Clearwater. I would never do it again. You get all the disadvantages of an apartment (idiot neighbors, people clomping around upstairs) with none of the benefits of a stand alone house (no yard, no BBQ grill space).

    Weather - It's freakishly hot and humid for three months of the year, then it's just hot the other nine months. Florida would not exist without Air Conditioning. You do get used to seeing 108F on your dash gauge and thinking, well, that's a little warm.

    Schools - Are good. Obviously, "depending" on where you are.

    Job Market - I'm just retired this year, so can't say I'm active. I'd check indeed.com for opportunities. For sure, I see a lot of "hiring" signs.

    Freedom - Masks are a way of life, but people are dealing with it. You go to a restaurant, wear a mask, take if off when you sit down. Same for haircuts, just wear the dang thing. Same in Lowe's. Everybody is in the same boat.

    2A - Florida is good for 2A. No open carry is allowed, except in certain circumstances (e.g. camping) which personally I am fine with. There are many many CCWers here. Millions; I don't know the exact number but it's very high. Ammo is hard to find, but that's life these days. Many large and small gun stores in many communities.

    Florida divides into regions, so it is very difficult to generalize, but I'll try. Most everybody is from somewhere else, so you have this weird blend of cultures going on. Miami is big with Cuban and South American culture. It is my absolute least favorite part of the State. The Keys are like another planet. Life changes when you cross the sound and get on A1A.

    East coast all the way up to St Augustine is suburbs, Miami North, and the Space Coast. Orlando is The Rat and tourists, mainly. North and central around Ocala is horse country and rich folks. Center and south of about Tampa is Orange Groves, and more Orange Groves.

    Panhandle is the Redneck Riviera and Eglin AFB and Hulrburt Field. In there is Pensacola, Navy Town. Tallahassee is it's own zip code, being the Capital and all. Gainsville the same, for Gator Fans.

    Where we live, West Coast from Tarpon Springs down to Naples, is the broadest / most normal area of the state I've found. There's no state income tax, but local tax can be hefty (we are in Hillsborough, at 8.5% the highest in the state). Car taxes and fees are ridiculously low. Oddly, all the DMV offices I've ever used are incredibly efficient and well run.

    My 0.02 anyways, hope this helps.
    Wow! Thank you so much for this detail. I will be digging in and sending questions back or pm'n you if that's okay. TUVM!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •