Thread: P365/XL mag not staggering

P365/XL mag not staggering

One of my original 12-round P365XL magazines occasionally (~10%) will not load to capacity. The second round in doesn't "stagger" as it goes down, instead sitting directly atop the round touching the follower. This makes it impossible to load a 12th round. Not a critical issue as I can see through the catch hole if the round are staggering properly and this gun has been reliable otherwise. I know the solution is "throw it out and forget it", but I have several more USA-stamped magazines and I'm curious if this is a known Check-Mate issue.

Have you left the mags loaded to capacity for a few days? Mine became significantly easier to load after sitting fully loaded for several days. Might be worth a try.

It's not a matter of spring stiffness, the rounds are not loading in properly sometimes. When I experience this problem I can unload and reload the magazine and that usually fixes it. It's mostly an annoyance that I hope isn't common with USA-stamped mags.

Hmmm. I’ve got five OEM 12 rd XL mags running. Minimal rounds to date; 240 evenly distributed. I’ve taken them all apart, removed any visible flashing or casting marks on the followers, and cleaned inside and out. No issues like this so far.

I have four of the 12-round magazines. Two came with the pistol and two were purchased from Osage County Guns.

I have yet to shoot the pistol, as I am waiting for the replacement front sight that was DOA and the Holosun 407K is still on backorder.

However, all the magazines will accept 12 cartridges with no issues, and I haven't observed any burrs, roughness, spring binding or dragging, etc. in any of them.

Site Supporter
    I have had this happen to me several times with several different brands of magazines (primarily Glock but occasionally Smith), but primarily when I am hurrying to stuff mags at a training class. When I would slow down it seemed the problem would go away.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I have had this happen to me several times with several different brands of magazines (primarily Glock but occasionally Smith), but primarily when I am hurrying to stuff mags at a training class. When I would slow down it seemed the problem would go away.
    This seems the correct answer. After experiencing this with a second magazine, I slowed down and began deliberately loading rounds straight down. Being fast and sloppy with an UpLULA may be incompatible with these magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    This seems the correct answer. After experiencing this with a second magazine, I slowed down and began deliberately loading rounds straight down. Being fast and sloppy with an UpLULA may be incompatible with these magazines.
    What’s the OAL of your rounds? I’ve run into a bit of this with the 15-round 365 mags when run with HST 147’s. To the point where I’ve relegated to range use only.

The very slightly shorter 124’s are no problem. All my 12’s are fine with the longer 147 round, but it could be OAL related.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    What’s the OAL of your rounds? I’ve run into a bit of this with the 15-round 365 mags when run with HST 147’s. To the point where I’ve relegated to range use only.

The very slightly shorter 124’s are no problem. All my 12’s are fine with the longer 147 round, but it could be OAL related.
    This did indeed happen with HST 147s, but also with whatever cheap ball I was using previously. Most likely WWB or Blazer Brass 115. It didn't occur to me it could be ammo related as the gun has always cycled fine. I do have other 12-round mags in storage but right now the gun and mags, when carefully loaded, are vetted in my mind and I'm hesitant to mess with anything (especially nowadays) until my practice twin arrives.

I've had it happen on occasion with one of my p365 12 rounders too - if I wasn't counting rounds while loading I'd never know because it has never caused a stoppage. If it gets worse, I'll try swapping in my lakeline metal followers to see if it fixes it before throwing the magazine in the round file.

User Tag List