Thread: Week 378: Vice Card Challenge

Week 378: Vice Card Challenge

[img]TriggerPrepMediaScreen by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

Week 378: Vice Card Challenge

Results may be posted until July 26th, 2020.

Designed by: Chris Long
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric with horizontal 3x5 added to head, see below for alternatives
    Start Position: Concealed and holstered, hands up/surrender
    Rounds Fired: 3

This is a very special challenge from Chris Long at Spas-12.com! Chris is an outstanding shooter who has made a wonderful 80s-themed shooting challenge based on a famous episode of the original Miami Vice series.

The scene from Miami Vice where the IPSC Grandmaster Jim Zubiena portrays a hitman who does an awesome AIWB draw and Mozambique will always have a special place in the hearts of many shooters.

Here’s the original scene in case it’s new to you:

MUST WATCH Chris Long’s amazing promo video for the Vice Card Challenge >>>>>>>>

Please visit www.triggerprep.com/challenge to see all the details. Here’s enough to participate in the Drill of the Week.

Set up your USPSA Metric target with a 3x5 card positioned horizontally in the head, and place it at 7 yards. Start at the hands up/surrender position (wrists at/above nipples, palms facing target), with the gun holstered and concealed. At the start signal, draw and shoot the classic failure to stop, or Mozambique – two shots to the body and one shot to the head.

You must have two hits to the A-zone in the body and one hit to the 3x5 card in the head for your run to count for purposes of the Drill of the Week. Your score is your time, for a clean run.

If you intend to submit your run to triggerprep.com and win a patch, there are more protocols that must be followed. Summary – You have to show a clean/pasted target, a tape measure showing the distance, a clean/zeroed timer, shoot the drill as specified from concealment showing both the shooter and the target, and then the final hits and timer readout. You must submit any official attempts via the form at www.triggerprep.com/challenge. Alternative targets are detailed there – Modern Samurai Project targets are also accepted. The par time to win a patch is 1.38 or less, the time that Jim Zubiena took to shoot the Mozambique in the original Miami Vice scene. Only fifty patches are available, so get in soon! See all rules at www.triggerprep.com/challenge to make sure you do it right. You definitely want this patch!!!

Check this thing out:

[img]20200623_143217 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread – for Drill of the Week purposes only – official entries to the Vice Card Challenge must be made through the web form at www.triggerprep.com/challenge :

Gun, holster, and concealment used
    Best time for a clean run (any time is fine for the Drill of the Week)
    Video link (not a requirement, but this challenge is really itching for video…
    Anything you noticed

Please stick to posting results/video in the DotW thread. Duke has a thread going where we can have general discussion, comments, nostalgia, fun, etc. here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nge-Mozambique

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

M2.0c, ameriglo spaulding's
    Jmck 2.5 aiwb
    Concealed under a button up

First clean run after several attempts.

1.63 - 1.17, .24, .22

Name:  20200626_102105.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  22.5 KB

I am not ready to complete the challenge outside of sheer luck. This was pretty much a zero or hero run and while I'll throw another mag at it for fun, it won't be skill that takes me there for sure, if i lucked into a passing run. My hands up draw is simply not there(not even my hands at sides draw, really).

It certainly pushed me outside of my comfort zone though
    Last edited by backtrail540; 06-26-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Well I won’t be getting a patch with this, but not mad about it either. G19.5 + RMR from JM IWB SS under a tshirt.

Name:  D86D8C34-96D9-4F1C-BA54-A17877AB9080.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  6E376CC1-A8A7-49AE-93E1-9A488E4B0E2B.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  76.2 KB

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Here's the run I entered. Gen5 G17 concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt. Final score 1.29. As discussed in the other thread, a hands up start is sometimes a little challenging for raw speed and I was pretty happy to get away with an .88 first shot. My splits feel so pokey at .20-ish compared to some other folks lol.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List