Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Biden has a 'big lead' on Trump in Polls

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    When it comes to talking about left-wing violence, you tend to pop up with this sort of equivocating. In a way, you're kind of like the guy who says "all lives matter" when the black lives matter thing pops up (with the understanding that the counter argument to "all lives matter" is -- according to the movement's proponents -- "yeah, and right now black folks are dealing with [racist murders, police killing blacks disproportionately with seeming impunity, etc. etc. etc.], and since that's an immediate concern maybe we ought to pay more attention there.").

McVeigh was nearly a generation ago, and the 80s bands like the Covenant, Sword, and Arm of the Lord are virtual unknowns today outside of those who've done some research into extremism in this country. Depending on how you want to count the bodies, I'm sure a case can be made that right wing extremists have killed a lot more people than left wing extremists (and I'm virtually certain that a well-reasoned counter argument to that can be made, and I highly doubt the left-vs-right score is settled science).

The guy who shot up the Congressional GOP baseball team wasn't a generation ago. That was three years ago. Neither was the guy who threw pipe bombs at the ICE facility. That was two years ago. But, at the top of the list, as with the BLM example, the immediate, probably-ought-to-be-the-top-of-the-triage-list problem is a group of leftist radicals who have been literally burning shit down for two and a half straight months with virtual impunity and tacit support from a mainstream political party and certain local governments populated by members of said party.

Guy lights up a GOP baseball team? I listen to NPR on the way to work and hear what is in effect victim blaming, asserting this ultimately falls at the feet of Trump and his culture of violence or whatever the hell it is he's up to. Meanwhile, an organized mob holds a city hostage for two months straight? The chair of the House Judiciary committee gets on TV and tells me it's a myth.

And yes, I'm well aware that Atomwaffen is a recent phenomenon and the guy who drove his car into the Charlottesville crowd isn't ancient history. Those recent phenomenons also regularly have the living shit prosecuted out of them, and you don't see Tucker Carlson or Mitch McConnell getting up on TV defending them.
    Yeah, but Orange Man Bad!

Right wing protest... Virginia Jan 2020

https://twitter.com/i/status/1219311446615633921

Left wing protest... Portland now..

Name:  Portland-federal-courthouse-860x484.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  88.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Right wing protest... Virginia Jan 2020

https://twitter.com/i/status/1219311446615633921

Left wing protest... Portland now..

Name:  Portland-federal-courthouse-860x484.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  88.8 KB
    this video tells you the difference between human beings and a bunch of wild animals ..... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fob1911 View Post
    this video tells you the difference between human beings and a bunch of wild animals ..... LOL
    Well, that too

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Depending on how you want to count the bodies, I'm sure a case can be made that right wing extremists have killed a lot more people than left wing extremists (and I'm virtually certain that a well-reasoned counter argument to that can be made, and I highly doubt the left-vs-right score is settled science).

The guy who shot up the Congressional GOP baseball team wasn't a generation ago. That was three years ago. Neither was the guy who threw pipe bombs at the ICE facility. That was two years ago.
    If you want to count bodies from a few years ago you shouldn't leave out the guy in Charlottesville car attack, or the Charleston church shooter, or the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting... Same time frame as your examples.

I don't think "leftist killers have, probably, killed more than right-wing killers" is a good look, nor is adding up the bodies to see who got more. Doubly so when you (should) already know the score for "your side" broke double digits in the first inning. There's also the unspoken implication, intended or not, that "their guys are worse than our guys". That's an argument that doesn't take a lot of imagination to see going nowhere in a hurry.

At least for me, none of these assholes are "my guys". I'm sure you feel the same. You think other people, who don't share your political or tribal affiliation might also feel likewise? Or are you absolved of any links to what happened in Charlottesville but the average liberal is somehow on the hook for what happened on that baseball diamond?

Really best to just not even touch that one. It doesn't go anywhere.
    Last edited by jh9; 08-07-2020 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    If you want to count bodies from a few years ago you shouldn't leave out the guy in Charlottesville car attack, or the Charleston church shooter, or the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting... Same time frame as your examples.

I don't think "leftist killers have, probably, killed more than right-wing killers" is a good look, nor is adding up the bodies to see who got more. Doubly so when you (should) already know the score for "your side" broke double digits in the first inning. There's also the unspoken implication, intended or not, that "their guys are worse than our guys". That's an argument that doesn't take a lot of imagination to see going nowhere in a hurry.

At least for me, none of these assholes are "my guys". I'm sure you feel the same. You think other people, who don't share your political or tribal affiliation might also feel likewise? Or are you absolved of any links to what happened in Charlottesville but the average liberal is somehow on the hook for what happened on that baseball diamond?

Really best to just not even touch that one. It doesn't go anywhere.
    DOJ published stuff on this earlier this year. More white nationalist terrorist murders than any other category in 2019. Jihadi murders distant 2nd.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

I don't keep that score, because frankly I don't care. I agree that "keeping score" is a bad look. That was specifically in response to a common statement he makes whenever somebody goes off about leftist violence (effectively, he'll say yeah but right wingers have a higher body count).

However, going "yeah, but look at these 'right wingers' who should also count in your tally" misses the point of what I was saying entirely (I personally don't think the fact that somebody is a racist of the white nationalist sort should be synonynous with right wing, but thanks to a concerted effort by some, it is). As does the "keeping score" bit. Keep in mind I'm responding to a history of posts from him. I've seen the left vs right scorecard trope trotted out by him several times. Thus the response.

The remainder of your post is non-responsive to what I said and based upon certain assumptions about where I fall on the political spectrum or what I actually think, so I'm not going to bother with the rest.
    Last edited by ssb; 08-07-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Site Supporter

The funny escalates at about 2;25
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Name:  3F0929F1-A3DF-42F1-A058-F5A935D5561D.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  26.4 KB

User Tag List