Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommendations for .357 Mag ammo for 4" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    According to Ammoseek, there's a little bit of Critical Duty out there.

I think the 145 grain Silvertip was highly regarded in its time. It is not a bonded bullet. I bought a box a year ago, and there were defects in the bass of several cartridges that kept them from chambering. That was the second time I had a similar issue with Winchester revolver ammo. I no longer consider it appropriate for carry ammo.
    That’s disappointing. I have a couple hundred rounds left from a lot I bought on clearance from a store around 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    That’s disappointing. I have a couple hundred rounds left from a lot I bought on clearance from a store around 2004.
    That's probably good to go.

I first had problems with Winchester .38 Special ammo in the post 2008 Ammo Panic. The Silvertips I had issue with were purchased in 2019.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I just bought one of the new production boxes of silvertips. They aren't crimped.

Im thinking about running them through my press for a light crimp.

.75cpr aint bad

I'm a fan of the Barnes or Federal loaded 140gr Barnes X-bullet. Barnes calls it TSX, I believe Federal calls it XPB.

If you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I'm a fan of the Barnes or Federal loaded 140gr Barnes X-bullet. Barnes calls it TSX, I believe Federal calls it XPB.

If you can find them.
    http://www.selwayarmory.com/buffalo-...box-of-20.html

Thats a Sierra JHP, not a 140gr Barnes.

To get a Barnes bullet you have to get the stuff titled "Buffalo-Barnes"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Thats a Sierra JHP, not a 140gr Barnes.

To get a Barnes bullet you have to get the stuff titled "Buffalo-Barnes"
    Oh shit, my bad. I didn't realize they had a 140gr traditional bullet. Thats a pretty good load though. Pretty close to my 140gr XTPs.

Well, for now, I am going to go with the Hornady Custom .357 158gr XTP loading because that is what I can find available locally right now. Another plus is it will also work OK if I need to use them in my Marlin 1894. Also I found plenty of 158 gr XTP bullets so I can easily duplicate the factory load in my reloading room. Factory loading is supposedly 1250FPS. Just got another chronograph so I will check it out.

I'm thinking that the 158gr XTP will have halfway decent barrier penetration? I know they tend to be very accurate and have been for me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Well, for now, I am going to go with the Hornady Custom .357 158gr XTP loading because that is what I can find available locally right now. Another plus is it will also work OK if I need to use them in my Marlin 1894. Also I found plenty of 158 gr XTP bullets so I can easily duplicate the factory load in my reloading room. Factory loading is supposedly 1250FPS. Just got another chronograph so I will check it out.

I'm thinking that the 158gr XTP will have halfway decent barrier penetration? I know they tend to be very accurate and have been for me over the years.
    I know XTPs aren't chemically bonded but they always seem to hold up pretty well, especially the heavier ones

User Tag List