Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for .357 Mag ammo for 4" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Totally non scientific but if the 158xtp opens up from a 2" snub it should from the 4" as well. I bet it would hold together at faster speeds too, although the hornady graph says otherwise so i dont know.
    The Lucky Gunner tests show it opening up to .53" in clear gel out of a 4" and penetrating 26" ... but... clear gel ya know ... so ...??? I think it would maybe expand more and penetrate less in 10% ordinance gel?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Critical Duty and Critical Defense often provide better-than-most accuracy, as well.
    The Critical Duty might even hold together well at carbine velocities too. Hummm.....

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    There used to be some data hornady had on their site that showed the critical duty to reach 13-14 after all barriers.

Perfectly fine for self defense.
    I've yet to see one stay in a person. If that's a bug or a feature depends on anticipated usage, but I don't think you'd have to wonder about lack of expansion or penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    It seems to me that for a general purpose "highway" load the CD round might be a good choice for those very reasons. Expands to about 50 caliber, penetrates deep and is barrier blind. I wonder how it does at 25 to 50 yards?
    I've been carrying a .357 magnum as a "highway travel" gun for a bit, so I'm onboard. I just prefer the 158gr loads since that's often what fixed sights seem to be fixed at.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've yet to see one stay in a person. If that's a bug or a feature depends on anticipated usage, but I don't think you'd have to wonder about lack of expansion or penetration.

I've been carrying a .357 magnum as a "highway travel" gun for a bit, so I'm onboard. I just prefer the 158gr loads since that's often what fixed sights seem to be fixed at.
    Right now i'm leaning towards a 158gr because that's what i'm using in my carbine. Accuracy trumps all and a 158gr XTP would be hard to beat in that regard.

Federal 357B. You know, comes in those red & white boxes.

At this point the question is "what can you find". Looks like very little in stock anywhere.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Federal 357B. You know, comes in those red & white boxes.
    Actually I have a couple of 20 round boxes of C357B. Just don’t wanna use it in my K frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    At this point the question is "what can you find". Looks like very little in stock anywhere.
    Ain’t that the truth!

According to Ammoseek, there's a little bit of Critical Duty out there.

I think the 145 grain Silvertip was highly regarded in its time. It is not a bonded bullet. I bought a box a year ago, and there were defects in the bass of several cartridges that kept them from chambering. That was the second time I had a similar issue with Winchester revolver ammo. I no longer consider it appropriate for carry ammo.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    According to Ammoseek, there's a little bit of Critical Duty out there.

I think the 145 grain Silvertip was highly regarded in its time. It is not a bonded bullet. I bought a box a year ago, and there were defects in the bass of several cartridges that kept them from chambering. That was the second time I had a similar issue with Winchester revolver ammo. I no longer consider it appropriate for carry ammo.
    Thanks Bro. Since I don't need it right away I think I will wait a bit and keep an eye out for the GS in the 50 round LE boxes to come back in stock. However, with the way things are going, who knows what will be available in the future? Thankfully I have a good stock of reloading supplies should worse come to worse.

User Tag List