Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for .357 Mag ammo for 4" barrel

Recommendations for .357 Mag ammo for 4" barrel

Some of you who have been following my progress with my Marlin 1894 .357 load testing and action job might recall, I am putting together a package of tools to take with the wife and I as we travel after retirement. The goal is to have gear that is legal and "less threatening" looking in some of "those" states that are less 2A friendly. California in particular. I have settled on revolvers and a lever guns in 38 Special /.357 Mag.

I'm looking for a load for my 4" M66 for when I will take it on the road traveling as my "car pistol". I'm thinking something that a highway patrolman might need if they were still using revolvers. Accurate, flat shooting, barrier blind and etc.

Again I don't see much .357 mag 4" barrel credible testing online so I thought I would see what you all like, use, recommend and etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by 4given; 06-24-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Barnes 125 grain TACX

Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty

Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel in both .38/.357 ("short barrel" is for less than 6")

The 125 grain Golden Saber loading gives good performance, but I think it is less effective through barriers.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I’m pretty sure there’s a thread here somewhere on this. As I recall the 145 grain Winchester Silvertip load was well regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’m pretty sure there’s a thread here somewhere on this. As I recall the 145 grain Winchester Silvertip load was well regarded.
    I did a search and came up empty

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Barnes 125 grain TACX

Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty

Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel in both .38/.357 ("short barrel" is for less than 6")

The 125 grain Golden Saber loading gives good performance, but I think it is less effective through barriers.
    A quick search shows this ammo (practically all .357 ammo) in short supply. I am currently using the Speer 135 gr short barrel 38 +P in this revolver for it's current role as the "upstairs" pistol and it shoots well.

Since i started that thread i pretty much stuck with 125gr golden sabers untill i got some 140gr XTPs recently that I loaded over 9gr unique. Data has that load at 1250fps from a 4" revolver and 1500fps from a rifle.

It expands very well from my 2.75" m66 and my 20" m92 where it still holds together. I know unique isnt optimal for carbine use but if i was using 2400 i dont think it would hold together as well up close.
    Name:  20200305_124403.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  32.9 KB

Jsps going 1900-2000 are fine since they wont break up at that speed.

I bought a box of silvertips yesterday. My buddy works at the shop so i got it at his price. Ill test them out next time I go shoot. Im moving next week soi might have hime buy a bunch for me. I know targetsports had them recently. I think winchester does them seasonally so they are not a reliable source.

Id be ok going back to golden sabers but i doubt theyd hold together from a carbine.

The 125gr barnes or the 135gr critical duty would be my next 2 picks. Gold dots or xtps would be good too. I think the 125s might explode from a rifle and the 158s might not always open up from the 4".

I'd also be perfectly fine with 158gr or 170gr swc over 13.5gr 2400 for everything

Thanks for looking that up!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Since i started that thread i pretty much stuck with 125gr golden sabers untill i got some 140gr XTPs recently that I loaded over 9gr unique. Data has that load at 1250fps from a 4" revolver and 1500fps from a rifle.

It expands very well from my 2.75" m66 and my 20" m92 where it still holds together. I know unique isnt optimal for carbine use but if i was using 2400 i dont think it would hold together as well up close.
    Name:  20200305_124403.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  32.9 KB

Jsps going 1900-2000 are fine since they wont break up at that speed.

I bought a box of silvertips yesterday. My buddy works at the shop so i got it at his price. Ill test them out next time I go shoot. Im moving next week soi might have hime buy a bunch for me. I know targetsports had them recently. I think winchester does them seasonally so they are not a reliable source.

Id be ok going back to golden sabers but i doubt theyd hold together from a carbine.

The 125gr barnes or the 135gr critical duty would be my next 2 picks. Gold dots or xtps would be good too. I think the 125s might explode from a rifle and the 158s might not always open up from the 4".

I'd also be perfectly fine with 158gr or 170gr swc over 13.5gr 2400 for everything
    thanks for the suggestions.

I have some 140 XTP's and would love to work up a load that would work well in my levergun and my M66 for defense purposes but I would rather use factory ammo for defense as recommended. If it was just for my use here in Idaho I don't think it would matter too much but for travel, factory rounds seem like a good idea. I have checked around the net and on the Hornady website and it looks like they no longer offer a 140 XTP loading so I cant go that route either.

Yeah, i get the desire for factory ammo. I think the 145 silvertips would be the closest.

Or the 140 barnes bullet.

User Tag List