Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger did the 5” thing again, in 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A quick look over at SGammo shows that not only is 10mm in stock, but it’s available at pre-covid .45acp prices. It’s a lot cheaper than .38 or .45acp, let alone .357. Hell, it’s roughly mid-2020 9mm pricing, and one can actually order it, to boot.
    .40 S&W is also still readily available in FMJ and quality JHP

Looks really classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    .40 S&W is also still readily available in FMJ and quality JHP
    C, may I assume a thumbs up on the Clapp 10mm from you, considering your earlier post?

That AL cased blazer is at targetsports too. 200gr bullet at just over 1k fps.

Thats not up to its potential but still warmer than any .40 besides the .40 outdoorsman from BuffaloBore.

Really good price on that stuff.

How does AL cased stuff work in revolvers? I know steel cased ammo sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That AL cased blazer is at targetsports too. 200gr bullet at just over 1k fps.

Thats not up to its potential but still warmer than any .40 besides the .40 outdoorsman from BuffaloBore.

Really good price on that stuff.

How does AL cased stuff work in revolvers? I know steel cased ammo sucks.
    Sample of one, but I’ve shot a ton of the old ccl blazer 158gr .357 in GP100s, and it was great.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've wanted a .41 Magnum...
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's me, except I already have the ability to load 10mm since I loaded .40 S&W for years.

What's this do that I can't already do with a .357 magnum or .45 Colt? I ask myself, waiting for the Wheels of Justification to turn. So far the Wheels have been stuck on "but N-frames..."
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Could they theoretically fit .41 mag into a GP100 and still have a 6 shooter, or would it be 5-shot like the .44 special GP100?
    A six-shot GP in a rimmed caliber starting with 4 would be interesting to me, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    C, may I assume a thumbs up on the Clapp 10mm from you, considering your earlier post?
    Yeah, I dig it a lot. I wish they sold it as a hammerless!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Yeah, I dig it a lot. I wish they sold it as a hammerless!
    Thankyouverymuch.

That’s what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I reckon that it looks nice, but always saw 10mm as an auto-pistol equivalent of .357 Magnum, rather than some kind of near-.41 Magnum, so, being more practical about firearms, especially these days, will just keep using .357 Magnum as my medium-bore fast cartridge, in revolvers.

I am glad for those who like this concept.
    And that analysis is exactly what ended my long-term project of trying to make the Glock 20 work as a field pistol. While one can quibble about calibers that start with "4" and etc., I just don't think there is a big difference in real world performance between the two. There are far more .357 bullets designed to run at magnum velocities than there are 10mm bullets.

The .357 has been a great general purpose cartridge since the '30s and now that I'm fully ensconced in rural/wilderness living, I come to appreciate how smart those guys were.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Ditto for me. In a .357 vs 10mm for a revolver discusssion, 10mm only starts to make sense if 1) you have another gun in 10mm, and want caliber compatibility, or 2) you want a revolver that comes good to go for moon-clip reloads. Ballistically, it appears .357 and 10mm are at parity, so going to 10mmm isn't gonna give me something I don't already have in .357 magnum...

Since neither of these justifications rock my boat, I'll stick with .357 magnum for my revolvers. I do like the 5" blued in .357, though...

Best, Jon

User Tag List