Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger did the 5” thing again, in 10mm

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What's this do that I can't already do with a .357 magnum or .45 Colt? I ask myself, waiting for the Wheels of Justification to turn. So far the Wheels have been stuck on "but N-frames..."
    ^^^^ This.

My understanding is that the post-Miami-Firefight rationale behind the 10mm was to give the self-littering guns the stopping power of a .357.

Given that I have an N-frame .357, a 10mm really doesn't make sense for me. I'm going to keep telling myself that.

(It does work. I haven't bought a new Python.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I have a lot of those 40 cal clips from TK Custom, and they are good to go for competition or even concealed carry. When I carry my 10mm Wiley Clapp, I'm usually carrying 180gr HST in those clips.

Re: the gun in question, I have one and it is just okay. My sample was rough, and I was disappointed to find out that the product improvements that are standard on the Match Champion, Wiley Clapp, and Super GP100 models have not trickled down to "special" editions like this. No shimmed hammer, rough action, and those grips that look so great in the picture were ill-fitting and rattled when you held the gun.

Sample size of one and all, and nothing that I wasn't able to fix, but disappointing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    ^^^^ This.

Given that I have an N-frame .357, a 10mm really doesn't make sense for me. I'm going to keep telling myself that.
    I have a .357 4" GP100, so I keep telling myself it doesn't make sense, but it's hard because I have 10mm brass, dies, and bullets all boxed up in the closet...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have a .357 4" GP100, so I keep telling myself it doesn't make sense, but it's hard because I have 10mm brass, dies, and bullets all boxed up in the closet...
    And you won't have to chase brass around with a moonclipped revolver....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Could they theoretically fit .41 mag into a GP100 and still have a 6 shooter, or would it be 5-shot like the .44 special GP100?

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Could they theoretically fit .41 mag into a GP100 and still have a 6 shooter, or would it be 5-shot like the .44 special GP100?
    Gary Reeder builds a 5-shot .41 Mag GP100 conversion that will cost you about the same as a decent beater work truck. Folks on the various Ruger fora have petitioned Ruger to make a .41 Mag GP100, and have been greeted with silence. I'm not sure if that's because of market forces, or if Ruger's penchant for over-engineering makes them less comfortable with the idea of a .41 Mag GP100 than Gary Reeder, or both.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I reckon that it looks nice, but always saw 10mm as an auto-pistol equivalent of .357 Magnum, rather than some kind of near-.41 Magnum, so, being more practical about firearms, especially these days, will just keep using .357 Magnum as my medium-bore fast cartridge, in revolvers.

I am glad for those who like this concept.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

There is one of these at a LGS and the bluing is much better than pictured. I put a set of those wood grips that are shown on the pic that Polar posted on my 357 MC GP100 and they were in need of fitting (loose) and they were slick to hold. They are no longer on my MC. 10mm is intriguing as I already load for 40 and I own a 4" Model 69 44. If I were a decade younger and still crawling around in the hills as I used to I would probably purchase it.

Love the platform, great idea, especially with the 3" WC as a companion piece. One for town and one for country.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I don't need to stock another caliber and to have a revolver that needs moon clips in order to function.

I'm going to keep telling myself that. Because I've wanted a .41 Magnum, but I'm not interested in jumping that far down the handloading rabbit-hole. A 10mm sort of solves that.

Don't want! Don't want! Don't want!
    A quick look over at SGammo shows that not only is 10mm in stock, but it’s available at pre-covid .45acp prices. It’s a lot cheaper than .38 or .45acp, let alone .357. Hell, it’s roughly mid-2020 9mm pricing, and one can actually order it, to boot.

User Tag List