Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ruger did the 5” thing again, in 10mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Me too. That is the same frame size as the .44 mag Super Blackhawk, so as I handloader I'd be better off just buying the .44 and handloading up or down to hit the power level I wanted.

The medium sized Blackhawk flat top Blackhawk frame is a much handier size. It seems like that could be chambered in 10mm?
    Lipsey's has an exclusive large frame stainless Blackhawk in 10mm with 40 S&W conversion cyls, available in 4.62in and 6.5in barrels. It's been tempting me for weeks now. I'm pretty sure I'd have bought one by now if I wasn't undecided on the barrel length.

https://lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKBN-104X
    https://lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKBN-106X

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Lipsey's has an exclusive large frame stainless Blackhawk in 10mm with 40 S&W conversion cyls, available in 4.62in and 6.5in barrels. It's been tempting me for weeks now. I'm pretty sure I'd have bought one by now if I wasn't undecided on the barrel length.

https://lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKBN-104X
    https://lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKBN-106X
    That's a tough call. The 10/40 combination is great-actually, I'd be more tempted by the .40 cylinder with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That's a tough call. The 10/40 combination is great-actually, I'd be more tempted by the .40 cylinder with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges...

Best, Jon
    Why not use the 10mm for the extreme penatrators?

Because I've already got semi-auto .40s on hand, and a great huting combo could be a Ruger .40 with my Glock Gen4 G22.

Best, Jon

Let me test my understanding.

.40 will work if you use TK clips?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Let me test my understanding.

.40 will work if you use TK clips?
    Yes. Specifically these clips: https://tkcustom.com/products/ruger-gp-40sw-050 with Federal and Magtech brass. I haven't tested them with any other brass because I pretty much only buy Federal for my wheelguns and I happened to have Magtech laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    There are multiple layers to that onion, but the smaller BH frame is just, well, tidier. I have 4 5/8” BHs in both frame sizes, and I like them all, but the medium flattops handle better. They fit just a little better in chest rigs and IWB too. One more thing: the reverse indexing set up really does make loading and unloading more secure, and it’s only standard in the flattops and vaqs, not the bigger frame BHs. Odd but true.

Amen to that. I do love my 4 5/8 BH 44 Special stoked with 255 gr Keith SWC and 9.0 gr of Power Pistol .....

Revolvers with rimless cases are not for me, but hey, to each his own. I would opt for .41 mag for those ballistics. Back in the 1980's I hunted with a S&W M57 with an 8 3/8" bbl. Most accurate revolver I ever fired.

For 10mm I have a XDM 4.5 with a sweet Powder River Precision trigger. The smaller grip fits my small hand better than the Glock 20SF

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Amen to that. I do love my 4 5/8 BH 44 Special stoked with 255 gr Keith SWC and 9.0 gr of Power Pistol .....
    Mine is sitting with the underwood 255 Keith load. For something that will drive, like, 36" of penetration, it sure is easy on the wrists. Dare I say it: fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Mine is sitting with the underwood 255 Keith load. For something that will drive, like, 36" of penetration, it sure is easy on the wrists. Dare I say it: fun.
    A formidable load indeed! And tons of fun! There is something about shooting this revolver that is fun and very satisfying to me.

Here is a picture of mine along with the three main handloads I have worked up serious use. 200gr Gold Dot, 255gr Keith, and a 280gr SWC designed by good old Elmer. It’s a sledge hammer!

Name:  70A08539-DF24-48A9-938C-4E9E18C9F996.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  7BD26BF8-FF89-485E-AA0E-7D060C0C248E.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  52.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List