Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences between Glock Gen 4 and 5 barrels

Vending Machine Operator
    I still like and trust my Gen 4 17 enough that it will stay my nightstand home defense gun as it has for 3 years, but my main work/carry guns are Gen 5s now except for my M2.0 Shield. I do find I see the accuracy improvement.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I still like and trust my Gen 4 17 enough that it will stay my nightstand home defense gun as it has for 3 years, but my main work/carry guns are Gen 5s now except for my M2.0 Shield. I do find I see the accuracy improvement.
    My Gen4 G17 shoots like a champ. I'd not replace it without actual cause to do so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My Gen4 G17 shoots like a champ. I'd not replace it without actual cause to do so.
    Agreed, plus mine was built on my birthday, I can't ignore fate like that.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Gen 5s still have polygonal rifling, it just produces slightly more pronounced markings on the fired projectile.
    I was under the impression Gen5 went w/ lands/grooves:
    https://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the...s%20generation.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I was under the impression Gen5 went w/ lands/grooves:
    https://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the...s%20generation.

Nope the GMB is still a Polygonalish style barrel.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Evidently my targets are too close because I don't see any difference in accuracy. At what distance are you seeing accuracy difference and how are you judging the difference? Shooting from a machine rest? I'm shooting 3/4" target pasters at 7-10 yards and hit more than I miss and I'm confident when I miss I'm the weak link, not the gun or the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by g45c View Post
    Evidently my targets are too close because I don't see any difference in accuracy. At what distance are you seeing accuracy difference and how are you judging the difference? Shooting from a machine rest? I'm shooting 3/4" target pasters at 7-10 yards and hit more than I miss and I'm confident when I miss I'm the weak link, not the gun or the ammo.
    My sense is based on 25 yards. The reason I say sense, is that I am not a bullseye shooter, but I regularly or semi-regularly shoot groups on the head of a USPSA target to evaluate me, my aiming system and zero, my ammo and my pistol. This has gone on for the last ten years and involved many Gen 3, 4 and 5 Glock pistols, in various barrel lengths.

Some observations, all anecdotal, so take them as such. Definitely in Gen 3, and somewhat in Gen 4, I found the 26/19/17 to shoot smaller groups than a 34. Across Gen 3, the pistols seemed more ammo sensitive, with a load or two in the 2.5-3 inch at 25 yards, and many loads printing larger groups. Gen 4 pistols seemed to have more loads in the 3 inch range than Gen 3, but many loads more than 3 inches.

The Gen 5 pistols have shot almost all loads good, and the 34 pistols seem as accurate as the shorter barrels. The first load I tested in multiple G5/34 pistols was 115 American Eagle and it was 1-5-2 inches, off hand at 25. Shooting Gen 5 19/17/34 pistols, I see no difference in accuracy between them and the VP9 and CZ Shadow 2 pistols, I have lots of experience with. Simply put, with the Gen 5 pistols, there is no reason to pick another brand based on accuracy, assuming you know how to work a Glock trigger. A s a side note, the same can be said about the Gen 5 in how it ejects/extracts, and how easy it is to reload.

From my source at Glock, I understand there are multiple differences in the Gen 5 barrels:

1) there is a target crown

2) there is a different finish internally

3) ahead of the chamber it is tighter

Google turned up this comparing Gen 3 to 5, which is consistent with my anecdotal observations.

Name:  5D6C449B-B7C0-4CD4-92C3-E499557C512F.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  67.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List