Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Glock Gen 4 and 5 barrels

Differences between Glock Gen 4 and 5 barrels

I was moving a Glock Store heavy tungsten guide rod sold as “Gen 4/5” between a Gen 4 and 5 this afternoon, and realized how different the barrels are.

Name:  11719C3D-1C38-4D3C-A915-135D215A758E.jpg
Views: 4654
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  9F72A893-865D-48FC-A3F6-A4DFF15F83EF.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  50.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was in a GLOCK Armorer course just a while ago, and saw there were many changes between the 4th and 5th generations. Nothing really wrong with the earlier generations, but the Gen5 pistols can demonstrate a noticeable improvement in performance-part of that due to the “marksman” (their term) barrels.
    I’m ok with earlier generations of GLOCKs. But what I put on almost every morning is one or two GEN5s. I have seen the difference in accuracy and noted it.

Site Supporter
    The Glock 17 Gen 5 switched to Glock 19 locking geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The Glock 17 Gen 5 switched to Glock 19 locking geometry.
    Does that means Gen 4 and Gen 5 G19 barrels wouldn't have the same differences between them?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Does that means Gen 4 and Gen 5 G19 barrels wouldn't have the same differences between them?
    The gen 4 and 5 19 barrels are still different in terms of geometry- the gen 5 does away with the slope at the barrel hood where the top of the locking hood interfaces with the slide and goes to the simple right angles that the 17/34 have always had, as well as most G19 gen 1-4 aftermarket barrels.

Site Supporter
    In theory, you can put a gen 5 17 barrel in a gen 5 19 since they now share the same locking block. This is why gen 1-4 17 barrels are not at all compatible with a gen 5 17.

Do the older barrels give a few extra feet per second velocity over the Gen 5 barrels?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Do the older barrels give a few extra feet per second velocity over the Gen 5 barrels?
    Why would they?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Why would they?
    Polygonal rifling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Polygonal rifling
    Gen 5s still have polygonal rifling, it just produces slightly more pronounced markings on the fired projectile.

User Tag List