Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 use by LE agencies...

Site Supporter
    With regard to the Dallas PD post by @HCM, et. al.: Dallas PD has issued revolvers for a very long time. They've variously issued Model 10s, Model 15s and Model 64s (4" and 2"). Even though they did issue them, many, if not most of the personnel carried a personally owned revolver, with the calibers being from .38 Special, .357 Magnum (most popular), .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special and .45 Colt. In the late 80s/early 90s they mandated first 4" only revolvers in uniform and then made the entire department a .355/.357 bore service gun PD. They allowed the newly approved 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum. As time progressed, the number of revolvers dropped off and during my last visit to the FTU, they said they had one revolver left in uniform service.

The officer killed in the aforementioned 1911 failure was A. D. Hallum #3660: https://www.odmp.org/officer/5959-of...n-duane-hallum
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Just saw this thread and I apologize since I haven't read through the whole thing.

My department issued the Colt Series 70 in 45 ACP starting around 1973 all the way up through the mid-1980's when they forced everyone to carry the S&W 659 followed by the 5906.

They began to re-authorize the 1911 in the late 1990's with full authorization for privately-owned 1911's in the mid-2000's.

There are still a few carrying the 1911, but the 2011 is now far more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Just saw this thread and I apologize since I haven't read through the whole thing.

My department issued the Colt Series 70 in 45 ACP starting around 1973 all the way up through the mid-1980's when they forced everyone to carry the S&W 659 followed by the 5906.

They began to re-authorize the 1911 in the late 1990's with full authorization for privately-owned 1911's in the mid-2000's.

There are still a few carrying the 1911, but the 2011 is now far more popular.
    2011 STI/Staccato only or other stuff like Atlas also?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    2011 STI/Staccato only or other stuff like Atlas also?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Locally I only see Staccato. They seem to be "the thing" in the SF Bay Area right now.

Staccato offers a decent deal and good customer service for LE.

We have one cop that just bought a Wilson EDC9.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    We have one cop that just bought a Wilson EDC9.
    EDC 9 or EDC X9? (The X being the double stack gun).

I much prefer the X9, not only due to capacity but 9mm specific frame / mags and the lack of grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    EDC 9 or EDC X9? (The X being the double stack gun).

I much prefer the X9, not only due to capacity but 9mm specific frame / mags and the lack of grip safety.
    The double-stack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    With regard to the Dallas PD post by @HCM, et. al.: Dallas PD has issued revolvers for a very long time. They've variously issued Model 10s, Model 15s and Model 64s (4" and 2"). Even though they did issue them, many, if not most of the personnel carried a personally owned revolver, with the calibers being from .38 Special, .357 Magnum (most popular), .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special and .45 Colt. In the late 80s/early 90s they mandated first 4" only revolvers in uniform and then made the entire department a .355/.357 bore service gun PD. They allowed the newly approved 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum. As time progressed, the number of revolvers dropped off and during my last visit to the FTU, they said they had one revolver left in uniform service.

The officer killed in the aforementioned 1911 failure was A. D. Hallum #3660: https://www.odmp.org/officer/5959-of...n-duane-hallum
    Thanks Wayne! The attorney that did our legal update has been gone from DPD for a long, long time. Long enough to go to college (graduated from the same program a few years before I did), go to law school, practice privately for a decade or two and become a professor at two different law schools in two different states concurrently.

pat

ahhhhh, NUB where you been all my life.

You cannot miss with the NUB

I went cheap as they had seconds in the model I needed. They come bent, but I recall my dad making a comment about me in the 80s when I had a ruffy 72 hot rod Old Cutlass. He said I was used to working on junk. HAHAHA thanks Dad! A masking tape covered smooth jawed pliers and a careful squeeze and bend ... fixed.

thanks for suggesting this mod.

its tight in there with the rotating hood, enough clearance for the thumb safety and Sentry lock but it works.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 08-13-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

If I couldn't have the nub I'd rather have a sls over the ALS.

Glad it's working out.

Pima county Arizona sheriffs department.
    They carried 357 Mag revolvers and 45 ACP 1911s.
    I was working Titan missile security out of DMAFB in Tucson at the time (80-84).
    Last edited by MichaelOrick; 08-23-2022 at 10:42 AM.

User Tag List