Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 use by LE agencies...

I do know the Colorado Springs PD carried 1911s in the time period in question and were still doing so when I entered LE work in the early 90s.

I knew a townie cop who went to work for them specifically for that reason.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I have LE, mostly sheriffs department at my place quite a bit and I see the same thing.

The Holy Grail Staccatos are proving to be 2011s. No more. The younger guys who carry them and 1911s are almost unvaryingly untrainable blow hards.

Carrying that kind of gun is akin to wearing pointy toed cowboy boots to work, which, they do that too.

The older guys carry Glocks and wear comfortable footwear because they’re past the point of vanity and just want things that work and don’t hurt..
    Not to take things off-topic, but if your cowboy boots are uncomfortable, you're buying the wrong cowboy boots.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The Weber County, UT Sheriff department issues Glocks but will allow a 1911 if the officer provides and qualifies with it. I know a female deputy who qualified 100%, and carries a Colt Rail Gun
    Holy shit. That's one of those FA&FO scenarios.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I can’t do 1980 as a cutoff since I was two years old. I decided I wanted to go into law enforcement when I was twelve, which was around 1990/1991. I became a gun-nut around that time and four guns intrigued me most. Those were the 1911, the Beretta 92F/FS/M9, the Glock 19, and the HK P7. The first time I fired a 1911 was the first time I was actually “scared” firing a pistol. I didn’t expect the recoil and hammer bite from that old GI gun. I was 15 and my parents didn’t like handguns so my exposure to them was sporadic. Going to the indoor range with my friend’s dad I found the 92F more fun and the A1 style AR-15 to be super cool. That said, there was something about that 1911.

Growing up in the Los Angeles area I saw the transition from revolvers to Berettas on LAPD and LASD. The only 1911 I remember seeing, and I still have an image of it burned into my brain, was during an annual father/son ski trip we did at a family friend’s house just outside the Mammoth ski resort. I remember seeing a Mammoth Lakes officer in the parking lot and noting his Colt 1911 with wood grips with the gold/brass medallion. The gun was blued but the hammer was “silver” colored.

Now I know that had I ventured further into the LA area there were multiple agencies issuing or allowing 1911s in the 80s and 90s, but back then that Mammoth officer was the first I’d seen in person.

It’s been 20 years since I started in LE here and there have been a lot of changes. One of the bigger equipment changes is the resurgence of the 1911. LAPD authorized anyone who could qualify expert around 2010 or so after SWAT had been using them for five-ish decades and SIS had started running them. We authorized them in 2016 thanks to a supportive Sheriff, and Long Beach PD had been issuing the 1911 for academy recruits for a long time, though they had to return them after a year or so and buy their own pistol. Now Orange County authorizes them and I was able to go to their course earlier this year. It’s rad. I think around 2019 the 1911 was getting ready to fade but Staccato has given new life to the platform. Embracing optics was huge and now they’re more popular than ever.

There are some people, both old and young, that try to adopt the 1911 or 2011 type pistol just because they think it’s cool and they suck. That’s one reason we copied LAPD and required a prerequisite qualification with a high accuracy standard. There are lots of young people I’ve seen who have truly embraced the history, uniqueness, frustration, and soul of the 1911. At least on the West coast the training is awesome. LAPD runs a 30hr class, we run a 16hr class, and OCSD runs an excellent 8hr class. Lots of agencies are bringing in great instructors. San Mateo is hosting great guys like Pannone and Hades Consulting. Young cops are training and from a shooting standpoint the motivated are way ahead. If I were the jealous type I’d try to find bad things to say, but they are going to surpass this generation fast. I think it’s neat to see and I’m glad I could be a part of moving things forward.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    .38 supers were popular with state and local cops in Mexico for those reasons, however, the Federales are/were allowed military calibers. .40, 10mm and .357 SIG have replaced the .38 super in that niche.
    All of the Federales, (Federal police) I saw in MX had M4's or some other military rifle I couldn't ID. Probably HK .

Never saw a pistol there in the 4 years I traveled in Sonora and Chihuahua.

Reasons being the drug cartels had rifles and so do the feds.

Local police don't carry open. They're mostly plain clothes so you can't know who they are or what they carry.

It isn't the US with uniformed police. Too many dead cops.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-12-2023 at 11:14 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Holy shit. That's one of those FA&FO scenarios.
    For sure. Her dad is very pro gun. He owns his own company and has a private 4 lane range in the basement.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    All,

Does anyone know of any law enforcement agencies that used the 1911 during the heyday of the revolver? Let's say, 1980 as a cut-off date.
    Not where I grew up or worked. Highway Patrol carried revolvers well past your cutoff (not sure if they were .38 or .357, but I recall seeing T-grips on them). I didn't see any semiautos at all until after 1980, and those were S&W 9mms (not issued). AFAIK there were no .45s of any kind until after 1990 (S&W issued to deputies and individual officers with 1911s or P220s). Departments switched from revolvers in the late 80s, early 90s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I grew up outside of Richmond in Henrico County. Their PD used the P220 for a good portion of the 90s and early 2000s. You are certainly right about few OIS - maybe 1 every couple of years back then. I recall one very nasty OIS on I-64W near 295 West where the officer shot the guy some 7-10 times requiring a reload and was himself shot in the vest and leg. My recollection was that most of those were torso hits but the suspect kept getting up and returning fire. You know it’s the 90s when departments thought the 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shok was the end-all fight stopper…after 10 rounds.
    I remember that incident. He was on his third and last magazine when the bad guy stopped shooting back.
    That officer recovered and left Henrico for Metro DC PD where he is now a Lieutenant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread. Mexican Law Enforcement has always fascinated me.
    I live in Jalisco a few months every year.

Mexican LE terrifies me.

User Tag List