Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 use by LE agencies...

Quote Originally Posted by bustermed View Post
    Don't know about Bakersfield PD, but I do recall that other agencies, including much larger ones, didn't enjoy competing with Clovis PD in combat competitions.
    Was this when Bill Jeans was with Clovis. He’s told stories of thrashing CHP at shooting events.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

If your still keeping track. Cochise county (Arizona) sheriff dept. is still carrying 1911s
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    If your still keeping track. Cochise county (Arizona) sheriff dept. is still carrying 1911s
    Do they issue it or are they personally owned? Any sense of which ones are in common use?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

One issue that I’m having continuing to carry a 1911 on duty is that I keep breaking my preferred holster, a 6378 ALS. The ALS wears out eventually and the holster will have no retention all of a sudden. I’ve broke 2 so far. Anyone with a similar experience?

Im assuming issued as all of the guys I’ve been on calls with or backed up all carry the same stainless 1911 with black grips. I’m not 100% sure I think they are kimbers. Next time I run into one I’ll ask.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Yes, Bill Jeans. When I talked with him a few years later, Clovis had switched to Glocks, not because he or most officers at CPD preferred them, but because Colt's customer service/support had declined to a point where they couldn't be relied upon, which was never an issue with Glock. I never met Bill in person, by the way, not even back when I worked at Fresno S.O. (in a "civilian" position). My conversations with him were over the phone, a few years after I moved to Georgia, where I became the Legal Advisor for the DeKalb County Police, and then a captain and, later, chief at Emory University PD. Don't remember the name of the firearms guy at Bakersfield, but he was impressive.

BTW, though the data is dated (I'm into aliteration), Fresno S.O.'s training unit did some interesting work back in the 80's, before anyone figured out the proper way to design and manufacture 9mm projectiles. They went back as far as they could, using whatever reports were available, and compared deputy-involved shootings before and after their transition from Model 15 .38 revolvers to 9mm Model 59 pistols. They couldn't find a single incident in which a revolver-armed deputy had been shot because he (all the road deputies were male, back in the revolver days) lacked sufficient cover, concealment, and/or time to reload (speed loaders), nor did there seem to be any difference in the number of times an opponent was hit in the torso before ceasing to be a threat-- somewhere between two and three times, but closer to three than to two. The big difference was that, after switching to the Model 59s, the average number of rounds fired by deputies DOUBLED, despite the average number of hits remaining the same. Great if you happened to be a by-stander who was standing down range, huh?

So, when it was time to replace the 59s, they decided to switch to .45 ACP, and considered 1911s, based on Clovis PDs experience with them. In the end, though, they went with Smith 645's, not because they were great fans of them, but because the familiarity-gap between the 59s and the 645s was narrower than it would have been with 1911s. They then used the excess transition funds to step up training-- with deputies going to the range every month, and not only qualifying, but also being presented with IPSC type problems, e.g. sitting at a table, fork in hand, and the light or buzzer goes off, etc. When I last spoke with C. Rodney Craig, in their training unit, average number of hits (out of five deputy-involved shootings with 645s) had dropped to 1.2, and missed shots were back to revolver levels. He said that they didn't attribute the difference as much to to the change in caliber or service pistol as they did to greater combat proficiency. I think that would have been in the late 1980s, or even 1990 or so.

BTW, I'm sad to say that the last time I saw the late Chuck Taylor (don't get me wrong, it's not like he knew me-- we met a few times, briefly, because our department brought him in as an ourside instructor for a couple of week-long training programs), he was carrying a .40 Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Was this when Bill Jeans was with Clovis. He’s told stories of thrashing CHP at shooting events.

Holster for 1911

Our department allowed (and somewhat encouraged) 1911s as an option, but officers who purchased a 1911 for duty use were provided with holsters and magazine pouches by the department. Uniform personnel were issued Dan Blocker gear-- straight up draw, with a simple thumb snap. No tension screw, if I recall, but it was next to impossible for an oppoent to snatch the pistol out of the holster from the front, back or side. Hand atop the gun, then pivot, was a weapon-retention technique every officer could master.

I always wore civvies/mufti, so I had other options, and chose a Taylor Omega from Gordon Davis Leather. Loved it, and never had any maintenance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    One issue that I’m having continuing to carry a 1911 on duty is that I keep breaking my preferred holster, a 6378 ALS. The ALS wears out eventually and the holster will have no retention all of a sudden. I’ve broke 2 so far. Anyone with a similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by bustermed View Post
    Uniform personnel were issued Dan Blocker gear--
    Probably Ted Blocker https://tedblockerholsters.com

Dan Blocker played Hoss in Bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have a 6360 where the ALS has hair retention. Its wore out and I wont use it for duty anymore.

I used to have a pretty good contact with Safariland who was from the Houston area and he would come see me about 2-3 times a year.

if I broke something, he had stuff to fix it. He left some years ago.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I have a 6360 where the ALS has hair retention. Its wore out and I wont use it for duty anymore.

I used to have a pretty good contact with Safariland who was from the Houston area and he would come see me about 2-3 times a year.

if I broke something, he had stuff to fix it. He left some years ago.
    Well that's disheartening. I just got a 6390

User Tag List