Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 use by LE agencies...

1911 use by LE agencies...

All,

Does anyone know of any law enforcement agencies that used the 1911 during the heyday of the revolver? Let's say, 1980 as a cut-off date.

Just to head off annoying tangents:

1) I'm not looking for contemporary use by law enforcement.

2) I'm not looking for your opinion on the efficacy of 1911 vs revolver for LE use.

3) I'm not looking for one-off use by a "Tackleberry"....I'm more wondering about systemic, widespread use.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Probably on the edge of what you're looking for.

Dallas PD did not have any standard issue weapons for most of its history. A number of officers (uniformed and plainclothes) carried 1911s. I have no idea when they adopted standard issue equipment, but I don't think it was until the 1980s.

Similarly the Texas Highway (Motor) Patrol - that when combined with the Texas Rangers has evolved into Texas DPS - did not have an issue sidearm for many years. Many patrolmen opted for the 1911. At some point in the 1960-70s (I think) is when the Model 19 became standard issue for Highway Patrol.

Texas Rangers have never had an issue weapon and have a very long history of using the 1911 as a sidearm. Sufficiently so, that the 1911 is by far the most common weapon seen in the Texas Ranger (and really defacto Texas DPS) Museum.

I have no idea what the training regimes were like in those days, but the weapons were sufficiently widespread in being carried that I would consider them 'systemic'.

Texas Rangers come to mind immediately.

Edit-- @RevolverRob beat me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    All,

Does anyone know of any law enforcement agencies that used the 1911 during the heyday of the revolver? Let's say, 1980 as a cut-off date.

Just to head off annoying tangents:

1) I'm not looking for contemporary use by law enforcement.

2) I'm not looking for your opinion on the efficacy of 1911 vs revolver for LE use.

3) I'm not looking for one-off use by a "Tackleberry"....I'm more wondering about systemic, widespread use.
    The Colorado Springs PD used the 1911 as standard issue for some time. I don't know if they still do. Off hand, I can't think of any other large to midsize departments that issued it as standard, other than the Texas Rangers and I don't know if that case was issue or personal preference.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

By used are you wanting to know department owned or authorized for carry?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I thought (remembered) LAPD SWAT used/adopted 1911-pattern pistols not long after the formation in the late 1960s. Or is my memory faulty?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    By used are you wanting to know department owned or authorized for carry?

POW or issued are both fine...the key being widespread as several guys noted with the Texas Rangers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The Weber County, UT Sheriff department issues Glocks but will allow a 1911 if the officer provides and qualifies with it. I know a female deputy who qualified 100%, and carries a Colt Rail Gun
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Let's say, 1980 as a cut-off date.
    I think mostly what you're going to find from that era is allowed POW, either individually (Bill Allard) or across the board (TX Rangers). LAPD SWAT had them, but just took them out of the property room.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Gallatin County, MT allowed 1911s and the guns were popular among deputies in the mid- to late-1980s. Probably earlier since the department had a number of "old timers" who carried 45s back then.

1911s are still issued and/or authorized for personal purchase as of probably 2015 or so. I don't know if that's still the case.

User Tag List