Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shitty is shitty: check your gear

I am not to savvy on current DD parts and upgrades, but just curious why does DD have or use aluminum end plate?

Retarded engineering makes me distrust a brand. Any ME or materials science undergrad, or even a high school kid who's taken machine shop knows that staking aluminum isn't part of a good design. When I discover something this obvious, it makes me question what other crappy designs are hiding in the company's product line. For example, that's why I don't trust anything from S&W anymore.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Fixed: new Colt endplate arrived from Brownells today. Castle nut torqued to 40 ft/lb, staked in two places and cold blued. Check out ‘dem factory-lookin’ square stakes!

Attachment 56768Attachment 56769
    Good looking stake job.
    What did you use (I'm guessing a "custom" punch)?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Good looking stake job.
    What did you use (I'm guessing a "custom" punch)?
    The magic tool (found it in a google search on an obscure forum, IN gun owners maybe?) is a #1 square drive bit, impact rated. I found this Milwaukee locally and like it better than the Dewalt for its thinner shank so you can see what you’re doing a little better.

Name:  6D5F60C7-350B-4D49-81C9-15CF335C9E4B.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  43.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Retarded engineering makes me distrust a brand. Any ME or materials science undergrad, or even a high school kid who's taken machine shop knows that staking aluminum isn't part of a good design. When I discover something this obvious, it makes me question what other crappy designs are hiding in the company's product line. For example, that's why I don't trust anything from S&W anymore.
    I agree. It’s a registered lower, and I do like their flared magwell, but honestly, the only thing DD on the gun at this point is the lower itself, and some of the lower parts (takedowns, springs, detents), and receiver extension. The trigger and bolt catch are Geissele, trigger guard is Magpul, Grip and Upper received are BCM, BCG and barrel are factory Colt.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The magic tool (found it in a google search on an obscure forum, IN gun owners maybe?) is a #1 square drive bit, impact rated. I found this Milwaukee locally and like it better than the Dewalt for its thinner shank so you can see what you’re doing a little better.
    Pretty slick - thanks for the info & photo.

I'll be stealing your idea and adding one of those to my tool kit to go along with the "Mayhew #415-5/16 5/32 PT Center Punch" that Larson (RIP) used/recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Pretty slick - thanks for the info & photo.

I'll be stealing your idea and adding one of those to my tool kit to go along with the "Mayhew #415-5/16 5/32 PT Center Punch" that Larson (RIP) used/recommended.
    I just called DD tech support, who then consulted their warranty manager, about this and here is there response. For reference, I was interested as I own 2 of their 2014 Mk18s and 2x 2017 V4S's.

They pulled a couple of their rifles and with magnets verified that their end plates are steel. I asked the tech guy if he could verify the history of this with his supervisor. The warranty administrator has been with DD since its founding and says that DD did use aluminum end plates early on for a few years, which a 2011 gun would probably have fallen in those years.

They asked me to send them pics of my serial #s and end plates, and if any are aluminum, they will replace with steel and new castle nuts / staking, as the rifles have a lifetime warranty.

They recommended that anyone who is concerned contact their warranty dept to discuss, and they will replace any aluminum end plates with steel at no cost to the user.

So my sling came off the rifle this weekend. Luckily, I caught it before it hit the concrete. I thought that I didn't seat the QD in the socket well, so I stuck it back in, without much thought, and drove on. Well, it came off again, and I managed to catch it the second time too. At that point my QD needed some inspection. When I got to look at it, I realized the actual QD section of the RE plate came un-swaged from the RE plate.

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So my sling came off the rifle this weekend. Luckily, I caught it before it hit the concrete. I thought that I didn't seat the QD in the socket well, so I stuck it back in, without much thought, and drove on. Well, it came off again, and I managed to catch it the second time too. At that point my QD needed some inspection. When I got to look at it, I realized the actual QD section of the RE plate came un-swaged from the RE plate.

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand.
    I've had QD sling hardware failure in the past. My 6933 hit muzzle down so hard it wedged a chunk of gravel in the birdcage that I wasn't able to dislodge with anything I had on me.

BCM and Magpul QD hardware have yet to fail me so I stick with them.

User Tag List