Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shitty is shitty: check your gear

Proof that because a company is touted by instagram celebrities, it still needs to be treated as suspect until you’ve thoroughly vetted your sample. I’ve been burned by this several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Honestly, 8 years and 10,000 rounds on an aluminum end plate that was only staked in one place is quite impressive actually. The last aluminum end plate I used came loose after about 18 months and it was staked in two spots. That was enough to turn to turn me against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Honestly, 8 years and 10,000 rounds on an aluminum end plate that was only staked in one place is quite impressive actually. The last aluminum end plate I used came loose after about 18 months and it was staked in two spots. That was enough to turn to turn me against them.
    It’s impressive sure, but it doesn’t change the fact that aluminum is not an appropriate material for this application. A “so-called” premium company like DD should know this. Speaking of which, how’s that gas port?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    It’s impressive sure, but it doesn’t change the fact that aluminum is not an appropriate material for this application. A “so-called” premium company like DD should know this. Speaking of which, how’s that gas port?
    .070 Crane Spec ‘cause the barrel’s a Colt!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    It’s impressive sure, but it doesn’t change the fact that aluminum is not an appropriate material for this application. A “so-called” premium company like DD should know this.
    Yeah, it's almost like that's the point I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Hit the range with @karmapolice yesterday and at one point I set my rifle down and observed the pic below. Daniel Defense Form 4 MK18 with their aluminum QD endplate factory staked. 2012 transfer, so probably 2011 gun with maybe 10K on the lower. 100% FAIL! I re-torqued it and staked it on the other side when I got home last night, but a proper steel endplate will be ordered and installed shortly. THIS is why proper assembly procedures matter.

Attachment 56275
    I can't tell from your photo, but if that castle nut is original to the gun, check the staking pockets before re-using it.
    In addition to their aluminum endplate, DD's staking pockets are known to be too shallow to accept a proper amount of material "flow" even from a correctly staked steel endplate.
    The DD combo of the aluminum endplate & out of spec CN staking pockets is no good.

I've replaced a few on co-workers DD guns and the side-by-side comparison to in-spec castle nuts with correctly machined/in-spec pockets is obvious.

The Forward Controls Design castle nut is a work of art, and although a bit pricey for what it is, I've got a few and they are really nice.
    The FCD castle nut combined with the Impact Weapons Components QD End Plate is a pretty slick combo.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...ols_p_103.html

https://www.impactweaponscomponents....ns-components/

The Sionics Castle Nut & QD Receiver End Plate are a nice, quality combo as well.
    Last edited by tango-papa; 06-25-2020 at 09:24 PM.

I really like the pws end plate and ratcheting castle nut for this reason. Two clicks, witness mark and good to go. If it slips it'll catch the next notch and witness mark let's you know. Never had that happen on 4 different carbines I've put them on for me and friends

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I really like the pws end plate and ratcheting castle nut for this reason. Two clicks, witness mark and good to go. If it slips it'll catch the next notch and witness mark let's you know. Never had that happen on 4 different carbines I've put them on for me and friends
    I just built a lower and used one of these. Not much trigger time but so far, so good. Sort of the “easy button “ castle nut approach. I have one from FCD, it is almost too nice to install.

Fixed: new Colt endplate arrived from Brownells today. Castle nut torqued to 40 ft/lb, staked in two places and cold blued. Check out ‘dem factory-lookin’ square stakes!

Name:  B0C106C4-3992-479B-9927-1685D75E6243.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  27.4 KBName:  F2B1DBAC-CD16-4699-A4B6-27E20B2E9875.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  25.4 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 07-02-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List