Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Atlanta Travel Question

Site Supporter
    My kid will be making this trip tomorrow. Starting from Wilmington, likely be passing through ATL around 1PM-ish. Planning to overnight in Meridian.

I assume with the National Guard deployed there will be more State Patrol resources to keep problems off the highway?
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...vernors-order/

Looks like previous advice here remains viable. Please let me know if I've missed something.

Thanks again for all the tips.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    My kid will be making this trip tomorrow. Starting from Wilmington, likely be passing through ATL around 1PM-ish. Planning to overnight in Meridian.

I assume with the National Guard deployed there will be more State Patrol resources to keep problems off the highway?

Looks like previous advice here remains viable. Please let me know if I've missed something.

Kid may run in to some post lunch hour traffic but should otherwise be fine.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Good idea to stay in Meridian. Jackson is a combat zone but passing through won't be a problem. My old area.

East of Shreveport/Bossier City on I-20 there is a loop that goes around the two cities. I urge you to direct your daughter to take it. Otherwise she must contend with on-going construction as she drives through both areas. Without construction it is congested.
    Last edited by willie; 07-08-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Good idea to stay in Meridian. Jackson is a combat zone but passing through won't be a problem. My old area.
    I've spent enough time in Jackson to know... Good food... Sleep elsewhere.

Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A great place to stop for fuel, food, and a break is Leeds, AL. It is east of Birmingham and has high-volume gas stations and good food choices. There is even a Cracker Barrel on the north side of I-20. I suggest NOT stopping anywhere in Birmingham.

WSB radio-95.5FM-has traffic updates at half hour news time, and “traffic alerts” when necessary. Should be fine, as others have said, driving straight through on I20.
    There are “Highway Emergency Reponse Operator”(HERO) service trucks in the Atlanta metro area should there be an emergency like a flat. Dial 511, and follow prompts-punch “1” should get an operator. I bring this up because one of my daughters used them for a flat, and it worked.
    Forecast possible thunderstorms, so if the driver runs into rain, just slow up a bit because a lot of Atlanta area drivers can be idiotic.
    Good news is the GA National Guard is in the city and things seem calm, especially during daylight hours.

Site Supporter
    Safely through Atlanta, blew past Meridian, onward home.

Kkudos to Hhilton for the no charge cancelation inside the window.

Thanks again for all the feedback here. Much appreciated.

Site Supporter

Spiraling into Chaos

Here's a lesson. When you KNOW a thing, act accordingly.

I had occasion to drive through Atlanta yesterday. From the West (I-20) to the North (I-85). I KNEW I should take I-285 West Loop Northbound. Google told me it was 30 minutes faster to drive I-20 to 75/85 and North through town.

"It's a Sunday. There's nothing in the news. It'll be fine"

What google failed to say was that the 75/85 split was fracked and that the workaround was to exit onto the surface roads for about a mile and catch the Buford Connector to bypass the delay.

- I knew i should just take 285
    - I knew i should pay the price for not taking 285 and stay on 75/85 through the split. It was only 25 minutes.
    - I knew something was hinky when I saw the "broken down" new Lexus blocking traffic in the intersection.

I could see traffic backed up maybe 75 yards behind that Lexus. But I was already committed to turning that way. Next thing I know, I'm sitting in the middle of it and a dozen "youths" spill into the gridlocked traffic and start pulling door handles. Thankfully unsuccessfully. Lots of gesturing, window knocking, face making, but no broken glass. Thankfully.

I'm taking 285 on the way back South, regardless of how backed up it is.
    It's not like I didn't ask.

Don't take the fast way when you know it's high potential for stupid people doing stupid things.

Don't be like me.

Site Supporter
    Weekends can be tough in Atlanta traffic because "they" choose to do hiway repairs on weekends.

Is this basically downtown ATL i.e., thru the business district?

User Tag List