Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Atlanta Travel Question

Site Supporter

RFI: Atlanta Travel Question

If someone had the need to drive straight through Atlanta at around 2PM on a weekday, on I-20 from East to West, is there any reason (currently) that would be a bad idea?

Any reported lawless hi-jinx on the I-20?

Taking 285 South and around would add 15-20 minutes (to a 19 hour drive). 285 North and around adds about a half hour.

Looking at dates in early July.

TIA
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I think the major interstates are relatively safe during the morning and middle of day. Suggest listening to Atlanta news and traffic radio station 95.5 plus watch WAZE for traffic updates. If you see WAZE traffic issues you can then take 285.

You should be fine sticking to the interstate. Just be cautious at the merges with I-285 and I-75/85. Those usually suck because folks don’t pay attention to the signs of “Exit Only” lane...
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I think the major interstates are relatively safe during the morning and middle of day. Suggest listening to Atlanta news and traffic radio station 95.5 plus watch WAZE for traffic updates. If you see WAZE traffic issues you can then take 285.
    Good idea, WAZE.. Thanks.
    I don't use it because last time I tried it demanded I give up my contacts.
    This trip is my kid returning from finishing undergrad classwork... got an internship to finish in the Fall and then graduation (early!).. Woot!
    Trying to route them (driving with a friend) around any possible problems.

I haven't seen of any issues in Meridian, MS....??
    I think they'll spend the night there and not try to drive 19 hours all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    You should be fine sticking to the interstate. Just be cautious at the merges with I-285 and I-75/85. Those usually suck because folks don’t pay attention to the signs of “Exit Only” lane...
    I've messed up exiting 285 more than my fair share. And it was only like 20 lanes across back then.

Thanks. !
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    You should be okay crossing the city on 20 at 2pm. Anytime after about 3:30 will be dicey as traffic really picks up then -- and forget about 285 in late afternoon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    You should be okay crossing the city on 20 at 2pm. Anytime after about 3:30 will be dicey as traffic really picks up then -- and forget about 285 in late afternoon.
    COVID traffic is still nutz?...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remind them to get an early start..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    COVID traffic is still nutz?...
    Yeah good point. Sorry, I was basing my post on normal traffic patterns. With the decrease in Atlanta traffic due to COVID you will probably have a bigger window during the day in which you can traverse the city without getting hung up. But still, I think in general my advice is sound.

Site Supporter
    Atlanta traffic still bad. Always truck traffic and the nonessentials are just wondering around on the roads.

Traffic seems to be getting back to pre-COVID levels, at least from my observations.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I would add the usual vehicle travel stuff.

Top off in the tank before you get to half. Preferably during daylight, in "good" areas.
    Pre-trip inspection of vehicle, including tires and spare.
    Basic snacks and water so you can keep going if you want.
    Road atlas in case you end up having to detour.
    Etc.

Good luck.

User Tag List