Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for properly specc’ed stripped lowers?

I am very impressed with V Seven's GI spec lower. Great fit and finish with a modern touch of square edging and just the right amount of flared magwell.
    https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...r-15-gi-lower/

Mega is really nice too and more traditional.

I have various old school Bushmaster, Armalite, Eagle, and Colt lowers. Also multiple newer Aero, Anderson, BAD, Brownells, Mega, and V Seven lowers.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Are PSA good to go? They have lowers for $49.99, seems to be the best price by far.
    Join FPC

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Who do we like for properly specc’ed stripped lowers?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Are PSA good to go? They have lowers for $49.99, seems to be the best price by far.
    I’m hardly an expert, which means I should probably just shut up, but I know tons of people with PSA lowers. I’ve yet to see any issues with the lowers themselves. Opinions online range from “they’re the same as any other forged lower” to “cheap garbage”, but nobody’s been able to explain very well why they’d be so bad.

PSA uppers are a little more suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an e-mail from Brownells that Geissele is now selling receivers

Upper/lower set https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod136320.aspx

Stripped lower https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod136319.aspx
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

If you are chasing bargains then I would say that the vast majority of lowers will work just fine for a shooter.

However, if you want something a bit nicer with a higher level of QC then it will naturally cost more.

They have tighter tolerances for better chance at close/correct fit with a range of quality uppers, trigger guards, safeties, grips, pins, springs, RE, and triggers.

Some of the nicer details I have noticed in better forged milspec-ish lowers:

- Balance of magwell flaring vs magwell edge thickness/material removal

- Rear magwell/front trigger guard pin junction edge not being too sharp

- Trigger guard pin fitment with various trigger guards with no sharp edges

- Rear trigger guard ears blending with grips for no exposed edges

- Safety ledge detents not too sharp

None of these details will make a lower "shoot" better but it's nice to know when a manufacturer cares about the details.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

+1 for V Seven.

Probably one of the nicest lowers for the money is the Wilson Combat mil-spec forged lower. Under $100, excellent quality, multi-cal marked, and has a cool kid rollmark.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Some of the nicer details I have noticed in better forged milspec-ish lowers:

- Balance of magwell flaring vs magwell edge thickness/material removal

- Rear magwell/front trigger guard pin junction edge not being too sharp

- Trigger guard pin fitment with various trigger guards with no sharp edges

- Rear trigger guard ears blending with grips for no exposed edges

- Safety ledge detents not too sharp

None of these details will make a lower "shoot" better but it's nice to know when a manufacturer cares about the details.
    That's pretty much it. Short of having oversized or misaligned pin holes (which is far more rare than the internet would have you believe), there's not much functional difference between a "good" lower and a cheap one.

I've owned and/or built with Aero, Spikes, RRA, TBRC, BCM, PSA, CMMG, and maybe others I forgot. Can't really say how one or the other would hold up to 20,000 rounds, but for "normal" range/SD use I can't say one's functionally better than the other. Finish niceties may or may not be more apparent, but they don't make the gun go boom more or less often.

Site Supporter
    IIRC there are only a few forges making lowers and uppers. The finishing may be the difference...

pat

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Probably one of the nicest lowers for the money is the Wilson Combat mil-spec forged lower. Under $100, excellent quality, multi-cal marked, and has a cool kid rollmark.
    I am not planning on buying parts for any more builds, but I would try that at the price. Will hopefully be assembling one of their barrels into a Mega upper soon, and it's a nice piece. In distribution, the price is excellent for what you get.

I can't find anyone else selling the receivers at discounted prices, only marked up, which suggests WC is selling them retail with reasonable margins and not discounting them into distribution.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List