Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for properly specc’ed stripped lowers?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I noticed some lowers - like the Centurions and Sionics lowers are marked Cal - 5.56 as opposed to Cal - Multi.

Does that matter?/Does anyone think it matters in the long term?

Both of these lowers are likely destined to not be 5.56 guns. Instead, are likely to be a .458/.375SOCOM gun and the other likely be a 6.5G or 6ARC gun.
    Functionally it doesn't matter, but since you're already asking it'd probably really bug you to shoot anything else out of a lower marked "5.56". I'm the type of guy who says, "Yeah it says 5.56 but it's actually 6.8," but something tells me you can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Functionally it doesn't matter, but since you're already asking it'd probably really bug you to shoot anything else out of a lower marked "5.56". I'm the type of guy who says, "Yeah it says 5.56 but it's actually 6.8," but something tells me you can't do that.
    I rarely read the side of my gun, to be honest.

I was pretty much just thinking from the point of view of legal issues. I guess I'm thinking, "Go Multi" - because in some hypothetical legal world, that might...maybe...make it easier...That's probably the same world where I need NODs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    My only beef with the Aero is the finish is a bit glossier than most milspec-ish black finishes from Colt/BCM et al.
    That's funny. One of the things that unimpressed me about Aeros I've looked at is the overly flat anodizing, so flat they seemed to have not been sealed properly.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's funny. One of the things that unimpressed me about Aeros I've looked at is the overly flat anodizing, so flat they seemed to have not been sealed properly.
    All of my Aero lowers were purchased in the 2015-2016ish timeframe - perhaps that's changed in the years since.

Ive built up rifles using Aero, MegaArms (billet), Stag and BCM lowers. The ONLY issue I have run into is my WOA upper does NOT like the Aero lower. You have to pretty much take a hammer to get the rear pin through (I dont, just saying you would) The rest work well together, so I'm going to go with a tolerance stack between the WOA upper and Aero lower.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I rarely read the side of my gun, to be honest.

I was pretty much just thinking from the point of view of legal issues. I guess I'm thinking, "Go Multi" - because in some hypothetical legal world, that might...maybe...make it easier...That's probably the same world where I need NODs.
    Pretty sure they get transferred as a "receiver" and no caliber designation anyway...

Does the marking matter if it is an SBR?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

No. Even the "pistol" marking on some lowers is wholly irrelevant to the Form 1 process.
    Not another dime.

Aero Precision has had the best fit and finish IME, but there really isn't a difference in standard forged 7075 lowers. Well maybe the occasional purple anodized Bushmaster lowers back in the day.

I've looked at Aero Precision, and found many little machining details were just much nicer on the Mega forged receivers. Like chamfers and bevels that would fall under the "fit and finish" as far as the design details go. Not to mention the anodizing appearing not right on the APs, because I already did that earlier in the thread. In total, it was enough for me to decide that the Mega lowers were a no brainer at $35 higher cost. Never looked back.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List