Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for properly specc’ed stripped lowers?

Who do we like for properly specc’ed stripped lowers?

Say a guy wanted to pick up a couple of more stripped AR15 lowers for future builds. There are so many MFGs these days, it’s hard to know if any one is better than another. Is there some absolutely yes - these are the best or conversely no these are the worst?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Say a guy wanted to pick up a couple of more stripped AR15 lowers for future builds. There are so many MFGs these days, it’s hard to know if any one is better than another. Is there some absolutely yes - these are the best or conversely no these are the worst?
    Mega/Zev,
    SOLGW (made by Mega/Zev)
    KAC

I’ve had good luck with Aero but some have not. The Mega/Zev one’s are a bit nicer.

ASanderson is a crap shoot.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would not be buying a non ambi kac lower. They had issues with the forging at the start, not sure if they fixed it. And the fact that's it's still not ambi whats the point unless you are hot for kac but if you are hot for kac why arent you getting the ambi lower...

Radian probably is the best lower, I also like PWS mod 2 lowers. Going forward I would probably only buy Radian lowers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Centurion Arms. Small veteran owned business with outstanding products and customer service. I have been so impressed with the stuff I have bought and use from Monty that I don't even bother with other AR manufactures anymore.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm an AR noob, but I had good luck with my Aero Precision lowers. All 5 had great fit/finish, no issues with function during or after build.

I particularly like the Aero M4E1 lower receiver as the threaded bolt catch pin saves you a decent amount of effort. I was initially worried these might back out vs. a regular roll pin but I have a few thousand rounds through 4 of these lowers and none of the pins have budged. Obviously this may change in the future.

YMMV.

Over the last 15 years I have used Spikes, LMT(MARS-L), and Aero.

All were fine except for two of the Spikes lowers had really tight threads for the receiver extension. They took them back, said they were within spec, but replaced them anyways

They all have a very similar fit and finish, and have held up well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I noticed some lowers - like the Centurions and Sionics lowers are marked Cal - 5.56 as opposed to Cal - Multi.

Does that matter?/Does anyone think it matters in the long term?

Both of these lowers are likely destined to not be 5.56 guns. Instead, are likely to be a .458/.375SOCOM gun and the other likely be a 6.5G or 6ARC gun.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Only if we one day get hobgoblin-of-preachers gun control rules here, like in Japan, EU, and UK/Aus/NZ. But if you think that might be the case anywhere that you end up living as long as you may keep the receivers, act accordingly.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I've built rifles/pistols on the following lowers:

DPMS (90's era as well as new)
    Bushmaster (90's and new)
    Spike's
    Palmetto
    Aero Precision
    Colt
    Anderson
    BCM

If I had it all to do from square one, I'd go Aero for a basic workhorse, and for my next 'Gucci' build (whenever that happens) I'm going to give Centurion a try based on the large number of overwhelming positive reviews.

My only beef with the Aero is the finish is a bit glossier than most milspec-ish black finishes from Colt/BCM et al.

I would only bother with an Anderson or a newer DPMS or Bushmaster under duress and without any other options. Pre-94 examples of DPMS and Bushmaster lowers have been surprisingly good to go in my limited experience.
    Colt and BCM need no introduction. PSA's and Spike's I'd only bother with if you really liked one of their novelty lowers for a range toy. Otherwise, Aero or Centurion.

User Tag List