Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New hotness in kydex concealment holsters for G19

New hotness in kydex concealment holsters for G19

Purged all of my old kydex gear and now I’m looking to start from scratch. Wondering what the new hotness is for kydex IWB and OWB for Glock 19s these days. Looking for one of each. Carried just behind the right hip in both cases.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Since you said "hotness".

https://tenicor.com/ Recommended by Kyle Defoor.

https://blackpointtactical.com/ Recommended by Bill Rapier.

Site Supporter
    My most recent holsters have been from JM Custom Kydex. Tony has quick ship options for Glocks as well as some other common pistols, and provides multiple cant and belt attachment options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I have multiple products from the following: Tenicor, Dark Star Gear, and JM Custom Kydex. Everything I’ve purchased and used has been really high quality and has all the modern design features and hardware. I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of them.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I have multiple products from the following: Tenicor, Dark Star Gear, and JM Custom Kydex. Everything I’ve purchased and used has been really high quality and has all the modern design features and hardware. I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of them.
    Concur.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Purged all of my old kydex gear and now I’m looking to start from scratch. Wondering what the new hotness is for kydex IWB and OWB for Glock 19s these days. Looking for one of each. Carried just behind the right hip in both cases.
    JM Custom Kydex #3 or #2 IWB depending on your build. I generally prefer leather for IWB but JM’s kydex IWB are legit.

OWB - I like JM but the Raven Perun is hard to beat regardless of price.

I messed with a Tenicor OWB and did not care for it. The curve either fits you or it doesn’t and the retention was a bit too much of a good thing.

Many co-workers are really like the Blackpoint Tactical Leather wing holsters. They are great for a year or so but the leather wings have a finale service life.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-23-2020 at 12:31 AM.

JM’s IWB #3 is the way to go. Depending on your cant preference, I have one you can try.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    JM’s IWB #3 is the way to go. Depending on your cant preference, I have one you can try.
    The newer ones are available with a multi hole set up that allows adjustable cant , 0, 10, or 20 degrees. Caveat is you must use the “normal” loop spacing rather than the wide.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. A couple of questions that come to mind...

Belt attachments for IWB... since I’m only interested in attachments that don’t require me to remove the belt to take it on and off, it looks like the standard choices are for the most part “pull the dot” loops, fat metal clips, thin metal clips. There’s plastic clips but I never cared for those. I’m familiar with pull the dot and the pros and cons of them, but the last time I was buying holsters that was pretty much the only option. What’s the story with the metal clips, pros and cons? Single Fat vs dual skinny? Unfortunately a lot of these sites seem to offer a plethora of loop types, listed via various jargon and code words, but I don’t see a dictionary on any of them to explain all the different loop options (I may well just be missing it, holster designers, I see, have kept up the tradition of having some of the worst websites on the internet).

Seems like there are a lot of IWB holsters with the attachment point right over the gun, vs the “wing” style. I used to carry in the OG Raven style and Sparks VM2 style with the attachment points outbound of the gun which I. Felt like gave me more stability and wasn’t as “fat” in the pants requiring less upsizing and discomfort. Any thoughts there?

Speaking of the VM2, I considered getting one of those, having carried 1911s fullsize steel and officers aluminum in them for a number of years, but IIRC when I switched from 1911 back to Glock and tried the VM2 for the Glock I found the metal reinforcing plus the extra leather plus the fatter Glock to all combine to make it too thick in the pants. I admit I didn’t try it very long, and at the time Raven was just coming on the scene and the much thinner kydex stole me away and I stopped messing with the leather. Anyone else experience this?

I like an open bottom. At least open enough that brass can fall through, but even better if it’s open enough to allow for a larger gun. In the past I’d bought holsters for a Glock 26 with a fully open bottom to allow a G19, or even longer, to fit. Some of the holsters I’m seeing from the pages suggested above appear to be pretty fully enclosed at the muzzle. are open bottoms, of either variety, still a thing?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Belt attachments for IWB... since I’m only interested in attachments that don’t require me to remove the belt to take it on and off, it looks like the standard choices are for the most part “pull the dot” loops, fat metal clips, thin metal clips. There’s plastic clips but I never cared for those. I’m familiar with pull the dot and the pros and cons of them, but the last time I was buying holsters that was pretty much the only option. What’s the story with the metal clips, pros and cons? Single Fat vs dual skinny? Unfortunately a lot of these sites seem to offer a plethora of loop types, listed via various jargon and code words, but I don’t see a dictionary on any of them to explain all the different loop options (I may well just be missing it, holster designers, I see, have kept up the tradition of having some of the worst websites on the internet).
    Plastic clips are almost all garbage. PTD loops are always good and have traditionally been more secure. Discreet Carry Concepts has kinda changed a lot of things with their clips and they adapt to most holsters. Bottom mount attachments of that style are superior to the top mount, but the Monoblock is a good replacement if you bought a holster with the stupid fucking plastic clip.

Seems like there are a lot of IWB holsters with the attachment point right over the gun, vs the “wing” style. I used to carry in the OG Raven style and Sparks VM2 style with the attachment points outbound of the gun which I. Felt like gave me more stability and wasn’t as “fat” in the pants requiring less upsizing and discomfort. Any thoughts there?
    Kydex/plastic doesn't allow for a clean pancake design like leather does. If a VM2 is an option a VM2 is damn near always the right answer.

Speaking of the VM2, I considered getting one of those, having carried 1911s fullsize steel and officers aluminum in them for a number of years, but IIRC when I switched from 1911 back to Glock and tried the VM2 for the Glock I found the metal reinforcing plus the extra leather plus the fatter Glock to all combine to make it too thick in the pants. I admit I didn’t try it very long, and at the time Raven was just coming on the scene and the much thinner kydex stole me away and I stopped messing with the leather. Anyone else experience this?
    Yup, this is part of why plastic became popular, along with the ability for damn near anyone to make something. It is one of the lowest entry cost businesses out there.

I like an open bottom. At least open enough that brass can fall through, but even better if it’s open enough to allow for a larger gun. In the past I’d bought holsters for a Glock 26 with a fully open bottom to allow a G19, or even longer, to fit. Some of the holsters I’m seeing from the pages suggested above appear to be pretty fully enclosed at the muzzle. are open bottoms, of either variety, still a thing?
    Be mindful of the G26 fit as they're not always compatible in 19+ holsters. Open bottoms are almost always available by the maker on request, or easily made with a bandsaw and a file to clean up.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List