Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

I think you kinda missed the tongue in cheek esque point. That being its larp until situations start to arise where its not so larpy for some.

For a truck gun to get stolen, you would need to leave it unsecured. I would think that rather irresponsible.

As to the videos you reference, poor choices and tactics remain poor no matter what tools are utilised.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’d have to be a true world collapse for them to have real impact.
    Not to pick on you, I just want to point something out.

It wouldn't take very much right now to cause an extended blackout. We're getting into the middle of summer--local forecast for me in the NE is 90 degrees, every day for a week. And if you're in an "area of unrest" (srsly, we need a cool-sounding sarcastic name for this), it's not like infrastructure is super well-defended. It doesn't have to be planned or targeted, it just has to affect your AO. I also think it would be a mistake to think that all the utility workers haven't caught Riot Fever, or that there might not be a criminally- or radically-minded individual among them.

Cities get real dark during blackouts. Countryside can stay pretty light out, but cities get dark. And even if I had a generator, I'm not sure I'd want to turn it on. Yes, lighting the shit out of yourself is handy for countering NODs, and can be discouraging, but it places you at the distinct disadvantage of being That Place That's All Lit Up. Night vision would let you maintain some awareness of what's going on in your general area without raising your profile.

If I get even a hint of brownout, not even blackout, here. I’m out. We’re loading up and GTFOH’ing.

Which is my way of saying, stay in the city at your own risk/peril - I won’t be. I have a pretty stout line for “time to go” and that’s time to go. I already have multiple egress routes.

NODs won’t be necessary, we won’t be staying that long.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I had some NV gear on loan for a while, and took it up to my cabin where there's no artificial light unless I turn on a flashlight or set something on fire.

You spend a few nights sneaking around in the dark, and the only question is "can I afford this stuff?" It's a whole other level of unfair advantage.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I had some NV gear on loan for a while, and took it up to my cabin where there's no artificial light unless I turn on a flashlight or set something on fire.

You spend a few nights sneaking around in the dark, and the only question is "can I afford this stuff?" It's a whole other level of unfair advantage.
    As long as you are the only one with NODS....

...and you don't run into a tree because/ no depth perception.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-22-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    I think you kinda missed the tongue in cheek esque point. That being its larp until situations start to arise where its not so larpy for some.

For a truck gun to get stolen, you would need to leave it unsecured. I would think that rather irresponsible.

As to the videos you reference, poor choices and tactics remain poor no matter what tools are utilised.
    Do you have any idea how many stolen Truck / car guns I have recovered over the years ? A LOT. 3/4 of the stolen guns we recover locally are stolen out of vehicles. Unfortunately "truck guns" - cheap guns left in vehicles full time with the expectation they might be stolen are a thing here in TX. Hell, a "suspcious person" my guys encountered a few days prior, stole a vehicle left unlocked and running at a local gas station and then used the loaded gun left in said vehicle to shoot and kill a good smaritan who followed him while on the phone with 911. So I don't really find anything funny about truck guns.

Site Supporter
    If I had the money I would absolutely own an nvg setup. I think it’s kind of silly to come up with reasons why they wouldn’t work for you when they are THE standard for fighting after the sun goes down for any military that can afford to field them.

I also think it’s not stupid to say you’d rather put that money in an IRA or use it for an awesome vacation.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Not to pick on you, I just want to point something out.

It wouldn't take very much right now to cause an extended blackout. We're getting into the middle of summer--local forecast for me in the NE is 90 degrees, every day for a week. And if you're in an "area of unrest" (srsly, we need a cool-sounding sarcastic name for this), it's not like infrastructure is super well-defended. It doesn't have to be planned or targeted, it just has to affect your AO. I also think it would be a mistake to think that all the utility workers haven't caught Riot Fever, or that there might not be a criminally- or radically-minded individual among them.

Cities get real dark during blackouts. Countryside can stay pretty light out, but cities get dark. And even if I had a generator, I'm not sure I'd want to turn it on. Yes, lighting the shit out of yourself is handy for countering NODs, and can be discouraging, but it places you at the distinct disadvantage of being That Place That's All Lit Up. Night vision would let you maintain some awareness of what's going on in your general area without raising your profile.
    I agree, and it's funny to sit here in June 2020 and see people write "things would have to get really bad" lol

Since this is GD. Anyone who is running NODs and/or thermal - have you spotted any reptiles while out at night? Snakes, lizards, frogs?

The field herpetologist in me is wondering if I can find a way to justify NODs in my next grant budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
    I agree, and it's funny to sit here in June 2020 and see people write "things would have to get really bad" lol
    There still isn’t much of a need, even right now. Stay the fuck inside with your shit locked and most of the country won’t have a problem. For those that do, NODs may be some help but there’s probably a lot of other things that could also be useful with that much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List