Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    All true but thermal still works in the southwest, I’m sure it would be better in cooler climates, but I’ve had no issues with detection of things as small as rodents in the desert, or people walking through the brush.
    My comments were directed towards detecting people at several hundred to over 1000 meters over wide areas of terrain. Using a Flir Scout 240 the signature from a barrel cactus is almost indistinguishable from that of a kneeling man at 75 yards and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    My comments were directed towards detecting people at several hundred to over 1000 meters over wide areas of terrain. Using a Flir Scout 240 the signature from a barrel cactus is almost indistinguishable from that of a kneeling man at 75 yards and beyond.
    I’m not sure what sensor the scout uses, but I’m not having issues right now distinguishing between cactus and people at 50yrds. I’ll try when the sun goes down and see what happens, although birds, even at fairly close range, are hard to spot if they aren’t moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I’m not sure what sensor the scout uses, but I’m not having issues right now distinguishing between cactus and people at 50yrds. I’ll try when the sun goes down and see what happens, although birds, even at fairly close range, are hard to spot if they aren’t moving.
    A standing or walking man is no problem. A smaller kneeling person looks a lot like a barrel cactus to me until I get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Weird how NODs don't prevent cardiovascular disease... Just like everything else that I want, dammit.
    Name:  5A0C3710-4766-4BD3-AF4F-05F6D39A90AC.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  52.8 KB
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Has @JodyH been tagged in yet?

pat

Thermal works great in the desert and the heat...way better for finding people hiding than an NVG. Rocks and cacti can give off similar heat signatures but...still, thermal is the way for locating / acquiring than a NVG.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Thermal works great in the desert and the heat...way better for finding people hiding than an NVG. Rocks and cacti can give off similar heat signatures but...still, thermal is the way for locating / acquiring than a NVG.
    Agreed.

If one’s resistance to purchasing NODS is waning... who are the reputable trainers? I know Defoor has a class and I’ve trained with him previously but getting into his classes now is like winning the lottery. I have heard TNVC has some good stuff. Any AAR’s from folks here? Trainers to avoid? Things in a curriculum to look for that are useful? Things that are a waste of time?

And since a purchase of this type would spend most of its time in the safe... is a metal safe able to serve as a Faraday cage? It would be terrible for one’s NODS to be useless after an EMP makes the world dark.

And if I... I mean, if one buys NODS do they come with an instagram account? Oh and what kind of background works best for taking pictures of NODS?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If one’s resistance to purchasing NODS is waning... who are the reputable trainers? I know Defoor has a class and I’ve trained with him previously but getting into his classes now is like winning the lottery. I have heard TNVC has some good stuff. Any AAR’s from folks here? Trainers to avoid? Things in a curriculum to look for that are useful? Things that are a waste of time?
    I personally plan on trying to get in on a Presscheck Consulting class whenever it opens up. I know Bill Blowers also has stuff that is more LE oriented for NODs that might be of particular interest to you professionally. I could also see some stuff coming in from osmosis as OpFor at DARC. Telluric Group has closed their few open enrollment, but apparently are still doing private group classes.

Site Supporter
    @El Cid http://www.greenlinetactical.com/ Has been the recommendation from several vendors I have talked to. They are run by the former training director at TNVC and their cureent special projects manager. They also rent you the gear for the class. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVe...49oDXplSyEV_3A Is Sam at TNVC's youtube channel, has some good information on understanding night vision specifications, how they work, and what is important.

https://www.kinetic-consulting.net/ is another I have been recommended. His youtube channel certainly has some good information. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHV...1-lux68MMOQQjg

User Tag List