Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The number of situations where I could use NODs that don't simultaneously involve Indianapolis burning too brightly to make them useful are pretty slim.
    Fire is good and reliable.

If you want to "own the night" setting your perimeter on fire and staying safely inside is probably a good way to do it. Just hope the wind doesn't shift.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As long as you are the only one with NODS....

...and you don't run into a tree because/ no depth perception.
    I remember the first time I sledged a door with older generation equipment...

Depth perception was clearly a thing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

NODs are like suppressors, you need space/open land to really enjoy them. That being said, if you just want to buy something cool (and there's nothing wrong with that), in a LARP/post-apocalytpic/"what-if" scenario; a set of 7Bs and an IR equipped long gun would be much more of an advantage than a suppressed long gun (if your budget makes you choose between the two).

If you can find local farmers/ranchers that need coyote eradication, a NODs setup is really fun and it's a good way to shake out your gear.

Also, if you have a little bit of land to shoot on and kids/family to introduce to shooting; rimfire cans are an excellent investment. Not a "LARP" purchase at all.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    In the Army, I found using NODs effectively in close quarters combat to be a complex and highly perishable skill. In particular, the loss of depth perception and peripheral vision using a single tube NOD takes a lot of training and practice to deal with, especially moving around. Also, it really helps to have a team equipped with NODs and who are trained to work together to help cover the loss of individual situational awareness.

All of that to say, fighting in NODs as an individual seems to me to be a very limited capability, and even then it would require not only ridiculous expense but significant training and practice. I don’t think they are worthwhile given other priorities.

I think the vast majority of folks who only want the ability to observe in darkness would be well served enough with something like digital night vision or one of those handheld FLIR monocles, which are much cheaper than “real” NODs and their necessary accoutrements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Considering U.S. Generation 3 night vision has been in existence almost 30 years and prices have fallen I think it's time to get on board, after all not many guys are still running iron sights, technology isn't always a bad thing. NVD's using the European Photonis Gen 2 HD tubes are a good option as well for those on a budget. They are less expensive and only really lag behind U.S. Gen 3 during overcast or moonless nights. As some have pointed out if you live in the city or suburbs ambient illumination may limit it's usefulness at home but if the lights go off and don't come back on for a while you will wish you had them. I have used my PVS-14 and thermal outside the house to check bumps in the night. Night vision weapon sights are fun but unless you can legally hunt with them they are of very limited use. My Simrad KN203 FAB and Litton MK-845 sights rarely come out of the safe while my PVS-14 and thermal get used regularly.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 06-23-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Goggles

After buying all of this, I haven’t really found it useful in my personal life and it rarely leaves the safe. I think it would be somewhat more useful if you lived on a piece of rural land large enough to shoot on or at least knew someone else who would let you use their’s. Absent that, I think there are probably much better uses for the amount of money it takes to get into night vision.

The second issue is that goggle skills are perishable. If you don’t routinely use them, you’re not going to be able to just toss them on and move around easily due to depth perception issues.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    For those that state "your money is better spent on x" consider that the people that can afford NV also likely already have or can afford those other things too. .
    Based on the number of posts I see elsewhere that mention financing these things, I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Based on the number of posts I see elsewhere that mention financing these things, I'm not so sure.
    Good Gen 3 night vision can be purchased new for under $3k. It's not a major personal budget item, fairly cheap really. Some people just prioritize beer, cigarettes, and $200 a month cable sports packages above equipment. Their money, their decision but night vision prices are not a huge hurdle.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What I think I'm going to be doing with my NODs:

Attachment 56241

What I'm actually doing with my NODs:

Attachment 56236
    Thermals are no good against zombies and vampires.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’d have to be a true world collapse for them to have real impact. And even then, so much of the population is ill prepared to fight at night that a scout light on a long gun would probably do the vast majority of work.
    In a true world collapse, battery resupply will nonexistent.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List