Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, they're fun as hell. If I made as little as half again what I do now, I'd likely have bought my own by now just for shiggles.

It's when you get the guys saying things like "Well, I guess entertainment and craft beer is more important to you than SHTF TEOTWAWKI, or you'd have save up for NODs!" is when I start rolling my eyes. Yes, having an enjoyable life is more important to me than a thing that probably won't happen the way we think it will happen, and even if it does happen, due to my current living arrangements a set of NODs will be of very little use to me.

It's that classic thing you run into on gun forums constantly, where someone has convinced themselves and/or their significant other that the expenditure of vast sums of money on ever more esoteric bits of gear and training is a completely necessary lifesaving expense. Therefore anyone not doing likewise directly threatens their id.

Not necessarily speaking to anyone here, but I'll bet nine out of ten people who own NVG's couldn't tell you the brand of fire extinguisher that is under their kitchen sink or how many years ago it expired, just like most people who own ballistic helmets probably don't own AEDs.

Christ, I sound like rob_s.
    Frankly, I've grown fond of my expired fire extinguishers...but I'm sure glad that I managed to survive until 2017 without night sights, let alone NODs.
    (Except for what I used on the job.)

Thanks for the chuckle, @Tamara
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"You're gonna need a bigger gun!"
    I would think at the very least an obscure one with unusual historical significance
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I would think at the very least an obscure one with unusual historical significance
    I may have just started the longest discussion/worst flame war in the existence of this forum...
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    So, you're thinking some sort of blunderbuss...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Sionyx can be attached to a helmet mount, why not these as an entry/toy-around NODs setup?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJ86Q8G
    I've spent more on stupider things...

@Corse - let me know how it goes. I'm actually serious, one of the biggest challenges of herp'ing, is it's best done at night and frogs are among the hardest to catch and catalog. Because when you turn on a flashlight to 'eyeshine' them they jump into the water/are extremely well camo'ed. If you could thermal them and then get in close with night vision without turning on a light, you might be able to gig 'em and do better surveys on frog populations.

I actually did some research last night and at least some folks are using thermal for hunting pythons in the Everglades, for the same reasons. So, it would seem possible. Given that basic FLIR monoculars aren't that expensive...it could actually be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    at least some folks are using thermal for hunting pythons in the Everglades
    I don't think they're that hard to spot.

Then again you said Everglades, so Florida and its denizens ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Sionyx can be attached to a helmet mount, why not these as an entry/toy-around NODs setup?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJ86Q8G
    If you aren't running a bino set up GTFO of here with that "poor" crap... I don't think the spousal unit would kill me nearly as badly if I ran dual Sionyx...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If you aren't running a bino set up GTFO of here with that "poor" crap... I don't think the spousal unit would kill me nearly as badly if I ran dual Sionyx...
    I think that a Sionyx monocular on say an airsoft knockoff bump helmet (like what I use for my PVS7s) is not that expensive and a fun toy.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Maybe one of you smart guys can post a link to “this is the PVS14 setup you should buy” because I tried doing a bit of research and holy crap it seems complicated. White or green and tube generations, etc. etc. my brain is full already with useless tactical nonsense.

So rather than learning another new language, can anyone recommend the “glock and 6920” Answer to the 14s?

Thanks

There is a really great write-up by Vic from TNVC in the night vision sub forum on Snipershide.
    He obviously wants to sell his products, but the write-up is a great primer on it, and the TNVC guys are absolutely fantastic when it comes to answering questions about what will work best for your needs.

I'm not affiliated with TNVC, but I am a happy customer and highly recommend them.
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 06-23-2020 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Because I'm retarded

I'm fortunate to have a friend with lots of cool toys, NODS being one of them. I've looked through his more expensive setups, but the only one that I've actually done any LARPing with is his old single PVS14 setup. It's a whole lot of fun.

There is a learning curve, you have to get used to the loss of depth perception. My first time oWnInG tHe nIgHt, I ate shit exiting the vehicle. About 10 minutes later, I ate more shit when I face planted going up a little incline that looked like it was still several feet away. I also learned that shooting with a laser isn't as easy as Garand Thumb and Aaron Cowan make it look. I got a headache after being under them for a couple hours straight. At first I thought it was maybe the weight of the helmet and NODS and my neck just wasn't used to it, but it turns out it's common with the older green phosphor tubes. It was quite the humbling first experience, but I can't say that took away from the fun of it.

As fun as it is, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on NODS. I can afford them, but I just can't bring myself to fork out the cash for the NODS, the helmet, mount, IR device knowing how much that will add up to, despite having property and woods close by I could LARP around in anytime I felt like it.

User Tag List