Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

Should NODs/thermal be in every prepared citizen's toolbox, or is this just the latest trendy gottahaveit for LARP fantasies and Instagram flexing?

Recent events have prompted a lot of discussion and interest in night vision/thermal. It's something I'd like to have, that I'm sure could be useful in certain situations, but I continue to believe that for me the thousands of dollars required for the devices and accessories could be better spent on at least half a dozen other "preps" (of both the hardware and software variety).

I know there are plenty of guys who get a ton of use out of NVD/thermal, do night hunts, camping, etc., but I can't help thinking a lot of these tubes are going to get used a handful of times and then get left to depreciate in a dresser drawer.

I hope no one takes the question personally - I ask here because I'm genuinely curious and asking this in some other places results in people pointing and laughing and calling you "a poor."

Quit being a poor fag.

:P

(What did you think was gonna happen?)

Actually, I think it’s a legit question. One that can only be answered by you. For me, NODs is TOTAL LARP. I live in a city that has a background illumination rate that prevents most NODs from even being used. Hell, there are 8 street lights on my block alone.

BUT - if I lived out in the middle of BFE - where I could see the stars at night, then, I might well consider having a pair on hand. Both, because I have done night time predator control, and because I could definitely get into night hunting.

If you’re thinking about having them to evacuate the world - I don’t see it. Seems too niche, in a world with a lot of headlights, streetlights, etc. Night vision tech is really important, in places with shitty infrastructure, for use by guys who are over there needing to do things 24-hours a day.

Here...night vision is basically for night hunting and Buffalo Bill Cosplay.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm a poor who can't afford NODs so for me this thread presents an opportunity to live vicariously through others

I probably go to sleep too early to be worried about using NODs, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I probably go to sleep too early to be worried about using NODs, anyway...
    Right after I wrote, “I could get into night hunting.” I thought, “Really Rob? You go to bed before midnight and like to sleep until well after the sun is up. How the fuck you gonna go night hunting?!”

I can dream.

Things to consider:

(1) Good night vision gear is fucking expensive. Used, you're starting at $1K, and a lot of guys are would tell you to drop the soy nonfat lattes and save up another $2k-$4k. You can buy a lot of really good training for that money, but it's really hard to post pictures of your small-unit warfare class on the IG.
    (2) In the same vein, it's worth it to spend time and money getting trained on how to use them, do stuff with them, and shoot with them.

I think 99% of guys are just using them as IG jewelry, and very few are legitimately prepared to use them.

My neighbor has night vision binoculars. Not sure of the cost or brand. I'm going to sight in a thermal scope for a friend soon. It seems to be a thing where I live but I don't live in the city. It's pretty dark in my hood. Both of those people have way too much money so they probably need a perimeter defense for the Chazpots. Personally I don't see the need for it but I live on the ragged edge most of the time anyway.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Thermals are best for hunting, but there’s something about shooting a decent group with a suppressed G19 at night...
    #RESIST

It's a fairly simple question to ask yourself. Do you want or have a foreseeable need to own the night? If yes, you need NODs. If not, rock on without. For most average citizens living in stable and developed civilization, NODs are just something cool to have. The closer they get to thinking about having to engage in interpersonal combat in the dark, the more NODs start moving up the list of must haves.

ETA: Oh, and to really get the full benefit of NOD's, you also need IR laser and illuminator, a quality mount and helmet system, suppressors, and an optic with good clear glass for passive shooting (most of the holosun optics that I've tried block too much light to see through well for passive work).
    Last edited by Talionis; 06-22-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    TY83544

I would like PVS14s, but my second hand Gen3 7Bs have never slowed me down.
    #RESIST

The Poors shall inherit....well, not much.

I think there are probably 100 different things you would be better off doing than investing in NV if recent events concern you. Here's a few that come to mind.

1. Do you have friends/neighbors that are also armed? You can't see/target anything with NV if you're asleep. There's no perimeter alarm that can help you get a vehicle unstuck or burn ANTIFA corpses or talk about your feelings with.
    2. Are your friends/neighbors any good with their arms?
    3. Can you communicate/coordinate with them? Trying to coordinate something even with smart and tuned up people is often a goatfuck without practice and generally on the edge with practice.
    4. Can you move quietly with your kit on? I've watched a lot of own the night folks clank and clump around. I could probably get em just by throwing rocks at the noisy part of the night.
    5. Do you have basic relatively inexpensive (compared to optics) FLIR surveillance stuff?

NV is cool, and if you're flush knock yourself out, but if you're wondering if you need it you probably need other stuff more.

User Tag List