Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ZEV Technologies OZ9

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's exactly that attitude that should concern you, to be honest.
    Anything is possible but my confidence to avoid a ND is in training, not some gadget that you may or may not remember to use. I see you're in Indy, there's a carry gun match on the west side once a month where you can practice your skills. You might consider that, it's the only realistic practice/training I've found.
    As stated earlier, this is off topic.. I'm not new to gun forums but I'm new to this one and it annoys me to see how threads wander so I"ll try not to be one of those people that derail threads. Back to OZ9 talk.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll try and get some realistic practice in.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm unqualified to determine what constitutes realistic practice. We have a LEO that joins us when his schedule allows and I have high regard for his opinion because he has real world training and experience. His experience includes LEO for over 10 years as well as defending himself successfully, twice, in self defense encounters. He has commented that he considers the match good "practice", that's enough of a recommendation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by g45c View Post
    I'm unqualified to determine what constitutes realistic practice. We have a LEO that joins us when his schedule allows and I have high regard for his opinion because he has real world training and experience. His experience includes LEO for over 10 years as well as defending himself successfully, twice, in self defense encounters. He has commented that he considers the match good "practice", that's enough of a recommendation for me.
    Of course an advantage of a place like Pistol-Forum, is we have hundreds of military and law enforcement shooters with collectively thousands of years of experience, industry reps, and many hundreds of dedicated tactical and competition shooters.

Placing your thumb on the hammer of a DA pistol while holstering has been considered best practice for decades. Two of the main founders of PF, invented the Gadget, integrating it with the partially tensioned design of the Glock, to try to mimic the DA best practice of thumbing a hammer when holstering. Since appendix carry has become the preferred method of carry of many here, allowing a larger pistol to be concealed under less clothing, an additional layer of safety is welcomed by many.

For the way you use a pistol, you may feel like a Gadget is unnecessary, and that is your personal choice. It is not just holstering in a hurry that makes the Gadget attractive to me, it is also holstering in the dark, holstering with multiple layers of clothing on, and holstering in a seated position with one hand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Fair enough.. As I said earlier it's not my intent to derail the thread.. Thanks for the info.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    This. I would like to try one, and if it fits well, swap everything with a Gen3 G19, resulting in a Zev frame, with everything else Glock.
    If you want to go that route why not get lone wolff frame or one of the other aftermarket frames. It would probably be a lot cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 06-29-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    If you want to go that route why not get lone wolff frame or one of the other aftermarket frames. It would probably be a lot cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I have yet to be impressed with any of the third-party frames I have seen or handled. This Zev looks different, so may fit differently. (I live near a huge gun store, that eventually manages to have just about everything available, in their pre-owned selection, sooner or later.)

I know that the “feel” of a gun can lie, but, at least, it is a start.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I've been following the Zev threads because I have a personal interest in them. I, like you g45c, do not want to derail a thread. With that said any new shooters who may happen upon this thread may get confused or take on some questionable info.

I am not a user of the striker gizmo that was referenced above. I believe it is a valid option for safely re-holstering and I may explore it's usefulness in the future.

I'm at 30+ years in law enforcement as a Police Officer, with time in patrol, narcotics our special ops team and now firearms instructor at our Police Training Center. During my time I've competed in USPSA, IDPA and 3 gun matches frequently. I can tell you after being immersed in the real world side and competitive side of firearms that matches are good "practice" but they are still a "game" that lack real world situational involvement. Don't confuse attending a match with being prepared for a real world armed encounter. The ability to perform under the stress of a timer, shoot accurately, work your gun proficiently and think on your feet help you prepare but when you add in a real body/bodies in unknown locations during different lighting conditions with innocents scattered about things change in a hurry. Things are not "sterile" like they are at a match.

The idea that all will be calm and orderly when it's time to re-holster is completely unrealistic. You need to be prepared for things to go sideways in the blink of an eye. There are numerous ways to accomplish the re-holstering of your firearm. I'm not saying what I practice and present in my classes is "the" way but it is "a" way that I have complete confidence in.

First we must consider the fact that the only consistent thing about small arms ammunition is that bullet performance is inconsistent and unpredictable. To anticipate that a threat will simply stop because you dropped 2 rounds in their "A" zone is a recipe for disaster. I've had conversation, immediately following the incident, with the victim of an attempted murder who had been shot in the head by a .357 magnum. Completely disfigured but conscious, alert and able to communicate with me while first aid arrived. A little research will provide an abundance of cases where individuals have been shot, some multiple times, and continued to return fire or became physically combative.

Holstering a weapon is a motor skill that we practice over and over during range work. Our holsters, for the most part, are in the same position they were from the day we began shooting. I know where my holster is at all times. I prefer not to "need" to look at my holster when re-holstering. Taking my eyes off the threat or threat area, even for a second, may open a door that a committed aggressor will likely run through. If I own an area visually, physically or both I don't want to give it up by dipping my head to look at my holster. Holsters without a reinforced mouth that collapse when the handgun is drawn making re-holstering difficult should be discarded.The striker control device is a viable option, that does not require an abundance of training, for situations where you may need to go hands on quickly.

Sorry for the long read. Many here carry for self defense that may not have given the topics addressed above much thought. This may help and inspire to get additional training.

I'm not a LEO and can't imagine a situation I might find myself in that would dictate I re-holster in a rush. Re-holster CAREFULLY is what I have been taught to do, how I've trained, and conditioned myself to do. I've carried a Glock every day for several years, shot USPSA and local carry gun matches and I've never been concerned about an ND in the process of re-holstering. It seems that's not a popular opinion here and maybe I'm naive but I feel completely safe without a Gadget I don't think any form of active safety mechanism should be relied on to prevent a negligent discharge. Just my .02
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
    it's all easy until you have to do it after fighting for your life with a heart rate of 200.And USPCA or any other competition doesn't come close to recreating that kind of stress

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's exactly that attitude that should concern you, to be honest.
    EXACTLY

User Tag List