Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW GP/K/L frame vs single stack auto, why?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    For me, the choice to carry a GP100 instead of a similarly sized semi-auto is entirely an affectation. It's not better, the gun doesn't hold as many rounds, etc. But I like GP100s, and I enjoy shooting them. So as a practical choice there's almost no reason in an urban environment to choose a six shooter instead of a modern semi-auto pistol.

But that's okay, because I like revolvers.
    Man I really don't want to say this: I agree 100% with Caleb.

We could dissect the minutia of why A or B is "better" but the reality is we carry what we do, at least in part, because that's what we want to carry. I wouldn't carry some gun I didn't like because the internet (or even experts) had decided it was the best thing to carry. Just carry your gun and be able to use it well. If some dude pulled out their carry gun and it was a red dot Gucci Glock and another pulled out an old worn out S&W 19, my response would be pretty much the same: cool.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    If some dude pulled out their carry gun and it was a red dot Gucci Glock and another pulled out an old worn out S&W 19, my response would be pretty much the same: cool.
    My gut feeling is that I'd expect the guy with the old Model 19 to be the one to watch.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My gut feeling is that I'd expect the guy with the old Model 19 to be the one to watch.
    That gun has seen things...

Site Supporter
    I was surprised by how easy it is to carry a 4" GP100 with the compact grips. Also everyone needs a DA wheelgun, if for no other reason than because if you can shoot one well, you have a solid foundation in trigger control.

Anyhow, I wouldn't hesitate to carry my GP if needed and here's why.

Most of my life isn't spent making enemies with people who hate me intensely enough to try very hard to kill me even going so far as to participate in a gun battle or ambush me. There are some outlier likelihoods that I'll find myself embroiled in some sort of attack staged by jihadis or antifa or the boogaloo bois or whatever, but the most likely situations I'd see in my life would be a criminal threatening my life for some sort of financial gain. That means the overwhelming likelihood is that the concussive blast of a .357 mag going off is going to reset his priorities. Said criminal wants to live to spend what he's threatening my life for. He's got a family to support, a dealer he owes money to and choir practice to attend so he can turn his life around. Some sort of cannon going off when he expects compliance and fear reverses the equation.

As an aside, I recall a conversation speculating that the .357 had such a strong reputation for stopping power because the blast and noise it made was jarring. I might be misremembering the conversation.

So for most cases, almost any gun is gonna do it for me, because it won't take many rounds for said criminal to decide that they don't intend to risk their life for my wallet, keys or phone.

I do carry a modern semi auto however, because it is easier to find holsters, ammo is cheaper and therefore building live fire skill is cheaper, and if I do run into the aforementioned spree killing incident and, by outrageous bad luck, I end up having to trade shots with a dedicated, armed assailant, then I can stay in the fight longer. That is always my last consideration, but it is still there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'll throw in my $.02 worth to hopefully add a little to the discussion. I started my handgun life with SA revolvers, then became acquainted with DA revolvers when I joined the Sheriff's Dept. Reading Jeff Cooper (G&A magazine) got me interested in the 1911 and the 45 ACP so when my department authorized semi auto carry (April of 1974) I qualified with a MKIV Series 70 Government Model. I carried one model or other of Colt 1911 for the next 25 years. But...

As a young deputy I got interested in competition: practical pistol before IPSC; and NRA PPC revolver. That refined my DA trigger stroke and as others have said, that skill seems to stick, much better than the Glock trigger stroke and even the vaunted 1911 trigger press. I've always found it strange that I shoot a DA revolver better deliberately, and the semi auto better fast. For that reason I continued carrying semi autos even after retirement.

Recently I've been plagued with worsening arthritis in my hands, and after shoulder reconstruction surgery on the strong side, general upper body weakness. What once was a powerful grip with both hands cannot now manipulate the slide on either a Glock 30S or a G36. DB's comments in the now famous "Snuby interview" got me thinking about DA revolvers. I've continued to play with them all these years, even specializing for a while collecting N-frame Smiths. All the while I carried 1911s and Glocks I was shooting revolvers in steel matches, IDPA and even the occasional IROC event.

My interest in handgunning has always leaned strongly toward the practical side which caused me to give up serious competition years ago and look at it as just an interesting and varied way to practice. As others have stated I'm not convinced I need 15 rounds to defend myself and my wife from goblins. And in my dotage I think the deliberation revolvers require of me is not a deterrent to safety but a benefit. And, with my challenged grip I can perform the manual of arms with any DA revolver better than I can most semi autos.

My current carry gun is a S&W 386 Night Guard. I put an adjustable rear sight on it because the fixed rear didn't shoot close to POI with my chosen ammo, Buffalo Bore's +P 38 Spl 158g SWCHP-GC . I also had my gun smith install an Apex Tactical DA only bobbed hammer. Another compromise because of my poor hand strength is I don't carry full Magnum ammo. The buffalo Bore stuff is about all I can handle and the short ejector on the NG's 2.5" barrel works better with the shorter cases.

When I can get to the range I practice deliberate upper center chest and head shots, mostly at 10 yards and under but occasionally at 15 and 20. Yes I'm slower than I used to be, but that applies to autos as well. Would I be better armed with a higher capacity 9mm? Maybe but given my own circumstances I am more comfortable with the revolver and my capability with it.

Dave

I learned revolvers in 1965 thank you Uncle Sam. Taught revolvers to LEOs for 14 years, then helped Agency transition to Glock (fiscal decisions carry the day). Wake me up in the middle of the night, I will have a Kimber K6 2" very shortly in my hands. On the street look for a small 9mm either a P9 Kahr or a Sig365XL. Depends on the social situation, for fun and just shooting it will be a revolver in an assortment of calibers. I also do training with a pair of Kimber K6s. The aforementioned 2" and a 3" DA/SA.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

As an aside, I recall a conversation speculating that the .357 had such a strong reputation for stopping power because the blast and noise it made was jarring. I might be misremembering the conversation.
    That is a theory of mine which I know I've discussed on here before. It is just a theory, of course, as I'm not sure how you'd scientifically test psychological stops. It makes sense to me, though, as just looking at the numbers and terminal ballistics in a vacuum it doesn't make much sense without incorporating the psychological impact of being on the receiving end.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've found that a k-frame with the right grip, or a GP100 with the compact grip, absolutely will not print when I carry it in an IWB holster, no matter which way I bend, twist, or lean, and no matter what shirt I'm wearing that day. Complete concealability, with no printing, is very important for me.

Additionally, as others have stated above, shooting a good double action revolver is much more natural for me than any other type of trigger. After I got a feel for it, I can shoot any of my revolvers cold, with no warm up, much more accurately than any of my semi-autos.

Finally, I don't own a single semi-auto that hasn't malfunctioned at least a few times over the years. Granted, those malfunctions were usually due to user error, but I still can't help but wonder, in my worst possible moment, am I confident I'll have a good-enough grip, won't accidentally leave a thumb dragging on the slide, won't accidentally hit the mag release, etc.?
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    Now with all this civil foolishness going on locally I am more inclined to carry the issue pistol (G23) off duty especially since I am not travelling.
    Once we feel comfortable enough to travel to MD to visit my son, my travel companions will be my 3" M64 NY-1 and my 442. They hide better on the belt and certainly in the pocket than any of my compact or sub Glocks and my wife can use them in a dire emergency if needed.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That is a theory of mine which I know I've discussed on here before. It is just a theory, of course, as I'm not sure how you'd scientifically test psychological stops. It makes sense to me, though, as just looking at the numbers and terminal ballistics in a vacuum it doesn't make much sense without incorporating the psychological impact of being on the receiving end.
    Darryl and Wayne have talked about this as well, and speculated that it might be the reason for 9BPLE's rep, too.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List