Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: CCW GP/K/L frame vs single stack auto, why?

I would go with the .357. Just for long term durability and a little more weight for shooting. I would not shoot full power magnums through it.

I was just on rugers website. Looking at the 3" guns had me thinking that a tlr6 type light might beable to be made integral into the barrel shroud.

Site Supporter
    I had a Ruger LCR .357 with the full recoil tamer grip on it was manageable. But that was like 5 years ago I might have a different opinion about it now. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They just fit
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-03-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was just on rugers website. Looking at the 3" guns had me thinking that a tlr6 type light might beable to be made integral into the barrel shroud.
    Underbarrel WMLs are tricky with revolvers. How would that light be activated with a traditional DA revolver grip? Run the gun thumbs forward? Cylinder gap makes exercising controlled light activation during shooting a no-go.

I’d hate to run a WML where my only options are “constant on” or “you have to use your trigger finger for momentary.”
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Cylinder gap makes exercising controlled light activation during shooting a no-go.
    Why?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why?
    Thumbs and/or WML levers/buttons don’t jive with tiny bits of hot, fast-moving gasses and crap. A TLR-6 style light would require a thumb going beyond or remaining under the cylinder gap to keep a momentary switch activated during shooting.

.38 in a well-timed gun with a nicely-cut forcing cone? I can’t imagine that being a problem. .357? Out of a factory production gun, assembled in volume by people paid to do that assembly quickly? I like my thumb too much for that.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Thumbs and/or WML levers/buttons don’t jive with tiny bits of hot, fast-moving gasses and crap. A TLR-6 style light would require a thumb going beyond or remaining under the cylinder gap to keep a momentary switch activated during shooting.

.38 in a well-timed gun with a nicely-cut forcing cone? I can’t imagine that being a problem. .357? Out of a factory production gun, assembled in volume by people paid to do that assembly quickly? I like my thumb too much for that.
    When does this actually start becoming a problem in reality? Thumbs forward has never caused injury to me with any of the 9 Ruger, S&W, or Colt revolvers I've owned. I shot .357 just the other day. I could feel a little warmth, nothing that would cause concern.

@jetfire has shot a few hundred thousand rounds thumb forward through revolvers and still has both thumbs, no injuries.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    My .02 is the Smiths are better trigger wise than pretty much every Ruger DA I've ever handled. In J's especially after a few hundred dry snaps to smooth them out. Then again I can be a trigger snob so grain of salt...
    The out of the box trigger pull on the LCR is light years better than a factory J-frame trigger on every sample I've tried.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    When does this actually start becoming a problem in reality?
    Most famously? With the .460XVR.

With .38's the worst that's likely to happen is maybe you get tattooed with some powder grains, if that.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

When does this actually start becoming a problem in reality?
    460/500 S&W are crazy calibers. IIRC the gasses on the 460 ate the first run up and Smith had to mirror polish the face of the forcing cones after that.

When your cylinder goes out of time and you start shaving jacket/lead can cause you problems too.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List