Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: CCW GP/K/L frame vs single stack auto, why?

Alot of us in our mid 50's learned how to shoot with wheelguns. I know many guy's who jumped on the hi cap band wagon in the 90's and never looked back. Some of us still like to stay proficient with revolvers. Including carrying them as a ccw gun.

Went out with my usual waistband Model 10 snub and pocket LCR. With each, I ran the following on a QIT target with 6" circular high center chest and 3"x5" headbox laid out. B-27 X ring shaded in the middle of the chest as an aiming spot:

4yd - Draw to one chest shot, reholster. Draw to pair in chest, reholster. Draw to Mozambique, reload the Model 10 from a pocketed Safariland. In the case of the LCR, reholster then draw to pair in headbox, reload with pocketed Speed Beez.

7yd - From low ready, up to sinfle chest shot, open cylinder, blindly spin, arrest cylinder, close it up, back to low ready. Repeat until empty but only spinning cylinder after each live round goes off. Reload in same manner.

7yd - Repeat previous but from the draw. In case of the K-frame, reload with speed strips.

25yd - One cylinder slowfire from standing position. Brush guns, reload carry ammo, head home.

Then felt like a bike ride so stuffed my 4" Model 10 AIWB in a kydex rig and got take-out dinner before turning back homeward. Saw a library box so traded an old pulp novel for a copy of Anton the Dove Fancier and read a section while eating at a park bench in the sun. Carrying a steel revolver on a bicycle, the universe had a sense of humor. The first story contained the following:

"...Soon a policeman arrived on bicycle, followed by Mr. Joseph on his puffing, sweating mare. The policeman talked briefly to my grandmother and immediately set to work...Every time he bent down his leather pouch would slide from his shoulder and get in his way. Slowly he would move it back into place, cursing under his breath.

The policeman was tall. He had graying hair and wore high, shiny black boots and a navy blue uniform with a tunic over it. Around the tunic he wore a wide leather belt; connected to it, crossing his chest, was a narrower one. Across his back he cartied a rifle on a sling with a massive chamber and a highly polished stock. A large metal eagle, the emblem of the Polish Republic, was pinned to the center of his round navy blue cap..."

Ignoring a certain meth-addled Austrian belligerent harshing the mellow a few years later, the chapter absolutely enchanted me with the old ways. I could have carried some polymer auto. But the slight heft of oiled steel and worn wood on my belt just seemed to fit as an integral part into the fresh air, clouds floating over, sun warm on my skin, and tale of a small Jewish boy staying at a country cottage with his grandmother as they ate and socialized around an old wooden table on the veranda overlooking farm fields and swimming pools in the brook.

Beyond ease of ball and dummy to stretch range time during a period of low ammo availability, is it an objective case for the medium frame carry revolver? No, but it's enough for me.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 08-25-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Because:

1) I'm the most comfortable with handling a revolver (first learned on one).
    <snip>
    For my wife, this. She's good with rifles, but semi autos, since she's been concentrating on her PhD and post-doc, are more of an unknown. She feels more confident with a revolver, since it is all mechanic-clock-work motion and it is easier for her to manipulate. (She's short, with hands way too small for a Glock 19.) Except, she started on a semi auto.

User Tag List