Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: CCW GP/K/L frame vs single stack auto, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The out of the box trigger pull on the LCR is light years better than a factory J-frame trigger on every sample I've tried.
    I could very well be wrong on the LCR's. My experience is limited to dry firing a single LCR and a single LCRx at a gunstore when I was briefly interested in them. Neither felt all that special but it's a very limited sample and I think was at least a year or two back and maybe more. My frame of reference with a more solid base is with RH, Super RH, and SP101's.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When does this actually start becoming a problem in reality?
    When you shoot a .357 mag, or larger, that is slightly out of time, and a piece of jacket, lead, or unburnt powder goes into your thumb?

All my sources are anecdotal: it happened to me twice with two different older Model 19s. I managed an indoor range for several years and had to put a few dozen bandaids on the thumbs of people shooting .357s on up.

Might be a luck issue, might be a handsize/thumb length issue, might be a combo. @jetfire has plenty of video evidence of his ability to run a wheelgun, but I don’t think he can palm a basketball. Bigger mitts get more of the thumb closer to the crappy spot.

It’s never a serious “injury” unless you’re talking about the big game magnum rounds. It’s more like a slide-bite issue: people occasionally get a little bloody when they shoot guns that don’t fit their large and/or fat hands. Still, based on a sample size of a crapload of people and a crapload of guns, hot-crap-shooting-off-forcing-cones is a thing. It’s not a major hazard, but it’s completely avoidable.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

CCW GP/K/L frame vs single stack auto, why?

I'm probably the last person who should comment here because I only own one DA revolver (LCR 9mm), but here goes. Ergonomically, I hate revolvers. I shoot autos far better in every measurable way. Malfunctions in modern autos can generally be cleared quickly and efficiently. That's not the case for revolver issues. Capacity: I can't imagine choosing a full size revolver over a 15+1 G19 or P-07 for self defense against humans. It's well-established that it often takes multiple pistol hits to stop a single human threat, let alone multiple. I would feel handicapped if I was forced to carry a revolver instead of my P-07.

Against large animal threats, I now carry a G20 with hardcast, or my P-07 with Lehigh XP instead of my .44 SA revolver, for the same reasons as above.

However... I have become convinced by threads here on P-F that a snubby has an important place in the CCW toolkit. I now carry the LCR 9 instead of a G43 or LCP in a non-permissive environment, and in some other situations as well.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-04-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

For me and my thinking:

-I'm now an old, retired cop, who has a few revolvers and try to maintain some amount of proficiency since it's a skill I don't want to lose.
    -Listen, I don't care what anybody else decides to carry or not, if they decide to carry at all.

-Logically, I should carry something with which I'm most proficient; meets my concealment parameters; and perhaps has the most ammo I can reasonably carry. I'll typically carry one extra mag for a reload. I usually be carrying a G26gen3 (12+1 & 10 reload); or G19gen5 (15+1 & 15 reload); I also have smaller and larger Glocks from which to choose, but just don't carry too often (G43 or G17gen5). I'll sometimes instead carry one of my full-size 5" 1911s (8+1 & 8 rds for a reload).

-For optional S&W revolvers (seldom carried however) a 640 Pro (5 & 5x2 reloads); 66-2 (6 & 6x2 reloads); or a 586 L-Comp (7 & 7 reload). The ammo capacity difference is markedly less. Due to this ammo cap difference, I might even be carrying a backup gun, as in my 642-1 (yet another 5 rounds). I'll usually be loaded with .38 Special +P. I don't see much benefit in .357 Mag for my perceived anti-personnel/self-defense use. I do own .357 Mag ammo should, for some reason, change my mind or use up my ammo inventory.

-For other folks, they may be more comfortable or accurate with a revolver. It might be what's available and only what they own. They may have difficulties manipulating a slide or reloading due to age, strength, training (or lack thereof), or technique. I'm fairly sure the younger cops I worked with prior to retiring never even held or shot a revolver and the opposite may have been true when I'd started out.

Edited to add an add'l thoughts:
    -When I was working, for a backup, I left the J-frame S&Ws for the Glock 43. The G43 had two more rounds; I shot it faster and a bit more accurately with it. It didn't carry as well for me on my ankle, but carried just as well in a body-armor holster.

-Already mentioned somewhere in this thread, as a LEOSA-50-State-ok-to-carry, I do need to be aware of ammo capacity limits, should I be visiting such a state; and this could affect what I decide to carry, too.
    Last edited by L-2; 07-04-2020 at 09:00 PM.

There are some good examples above of selecting a carry rotation based on one's personal requirements/preferences/constraints. Here's one more example.

I'm in California, and while I'm in a relatively gun friendly part of the state I'm still bound by state law. So 10 round magazine limits, all of the newest semi-autos are off roster and thus only available to non-LE at an absurd premium on the used market, and I'm limited to a carry rotation of three, listed by serial number on my permit. I try to look at the bright side and think about how much money that's saved me over the years, but it does seriously constrain the options. Right now the rotation is a pair of HK's, one full size and one compact; and a J-frame. ironically it's the J-frame that often gets carried in higher risk urban environments, because someplace like Oakland or LA can also be a NPE.

As a consultant my projects can be anywhere in the US and occasionally overseas; I tend to be on one or two large projects for a few months to a few years and then move on to what's next. Project sites can be in inner city urban areas, in upscale suburbs, or in remote backcountry. Occasionally all in the same week, although in practice there tend to be patterns which require re-assessing carry needs periodically. Sometimes it's a big infrastructure construction site with lots of people around, but other times I'm the first guy in to figure out what permits are going to be needed.

About a week ago I carried the USP 45 on a remote site where stray dogs and wildlife are potential issues. So I was covered for anything from black bear to pit bull. That's easy in rainy season under a jacket, this time it ended up being a warm day and any reasonably observant person would have noticed that bulge under my shirt at 3:00. This was in a rural pro-2A county and I'm pretty sure the lady at the gas station was the only one who noticed, but I wouldn't try that in the Bay Area.

Out of curiosity, after getting home that night I tried a GP-100 MC under that same shirt. It was pretty much invisible. Not any smaller really, more a matter of shape. Curves instead of square edges and without the square ends of the slide and the grip at the same height above the belt, it just disappeared.

When my permit comes up for renewal in about a year and a half, I'm going to think about replacing at least one of the semi's with a revolver. I'll likely be semi-retired by then and with more control over where I spend my days; I live in a small low crime community where the last shooting of anything other than a small furry varmint was sometime in the 1970s; and I'll still be doing backcountry hikes.

I already sometimes carry a revolver when in the backcountry in Oregon or other states where there are no constraints; or on National Forest land where I can open carry.

Why? In the end, it comes down to the fact that I enjoy the craftsmanship of pre-lock, pre-mim S&W revolvers, and they're fun to shoot. Not entirely rational, but then not everything always needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    @jetfire has plenty of video evidence of his ability to run a wheelgun, but I don’t think he can palm a basketball.
    Excuse me sirName:  50CEC65B-C259-4C82-B464-A1F7CA269E40.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  41.7 KB

Tangential, but: lead shavings from magnum rounds are no joke. Some years back, I was burning through some old WWB 110 grain .357 in my 65-3 3” RB, and some shavings came back off the forcing cone/gap and into my thumb. It bled like a stuck pig. I’m on my way to the restroom to wash up, dripping blobs of blood, and the range owner comes out of the office. There was .75 seconds of tension before I said “shavings; absolutely my problem and not yours.” He arched his eyebrows, and I went on to rinse up.

Those flecks of SJHP took, maybe, 6 or 7 months to work to the surface?

All that said, all my thumbs are still present and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    You’re the white Larry Bird. Paws like Jordan.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Excuse me sir
    Name:  50CEC65B-C259-4C82-B464-A1F7CA269E40.jpg
    It’s masterful bon mots such as that which have put him where he is today...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

NCAA womens basketball ???

I know for a fact I cant palm a basketball so its no judgement from me.

User Tag List