Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm revolver shopping and need guidance

S&W model 13 or 65

I have a S&W model 13, blue, round butt, 3" heavy barrel. The model 65 is the stainless version of the 13. The only reason this came up on my radar, a friend of mine was an FBI agent back over 35 years ago. It was his issued weapon. The more I thought about the 13, the more sensible having one became. So after a few months.......or weeks of thinking I finally had one. Not too big or small and the 3" barrel is a great option for concealed carry.

One thing to think about is repair in case you get a vintage handgun that the factory no longer supports. And sometimes parts availability is an issue. Lots of good info in this thread. The hardest part may be deciding on what to purchase!

Right off the bat it looks like a stainless 3-4" GP100 .357 with adjustable sights is the smartest choice. But I was never accused of being a smart man, and I like gun browsing, so I'm still looking.

I went to the local shops today and didn't find anything to take home, but I did come away with some observations.

First, triggers. I fondled a few nice looking Smiths (M66, 69, 627). The trigger on my GP100 seemed like a full custom in comparison. I would estimate the S&W triggers were 12-14lb DA, 4-5lb SA. Is this fairly typical of S&W wheelguns? Is a gunsmith the only option to lighten the pull, or can this be a home job for someone of "modest skill"? I'm not looking for 6lb DA, but 10lb would be nice.

Next, adjustable sights would be handy. I do reload, and I enjoy guns that shoot right to POA.

Barrel length. I was considering 3" because it seems like the next size up compared to my 2.5" GP100, but still small enough to conceal. But if I can conceal a 4", I am finding I do like the balance of them better. How are you folks concealing 4" revolvers? AIWB? It seem like the cylinder would preclude traditional IWB, am I wrong?

Lastly, S&W has made a lot of really cool revolvers over the years. I know this is not news to many of you, but as a long-time Glock and SIG shooter, it's really fun looking back through all of the models that have come and gone. I find myself almost getting nostalgic for an era that I never even lived through. Here's two of my favorites from today's browsing. The one on the right is definitely a 629, what is the one on the left?

Name:  S&WRevo.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post

Lastly, S&W has made a lot of really cool revolvers over the years. I know this is not news to many of you, but as a long-time Glock and SIG shooter, it's really fun looking back through all of the models that have come and gone. I find myself almost getting nostalgic for an era that I never even lived through. Here's two of my favorites from today's browsing. The one on the right is definitely a 629, what is the one on the left?

Name:  S&WRevo.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  41.6 KB
    My semi-ignorant guess is that it's a Model 21 in .44 Special.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A k frame can definetly be comfortable behind the hip
    Name:  20200424_093859.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  37.4 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Right off the bat it looks like a stainless 3-4" GP100 .357 with adjustable sights is the smartest choice. But I was never accused of being a smart man, and I like gun browsing, so I'm still looking.
    The "rust resistant jack of all trades that can be maintained and slicked by the average crank" might just be the smartest choice.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If one has a bit of knowledge, counter browsing can be fun and rewarding. But I'm hesitant to buy one online without a chance to check it out first.

So, if I was wanting to just buy one new and unseen, I'd go with a Ruger.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Under $1,200 opens you to a 3" S&W Model 65, but if you want current production, the 2.75" Model 66 is a nice gun. If you can tolerate 4", some good deals sometimes arise for Model 64s and Model 10s. Your price range touches the Model 696, those are nice guns. If you reload, maybe a Model 58?
    Last I checked, $1,200 opens him up to a 3” M-66, sans hole.

Downside there is the circumcised forcing cone if he plans to shoot lots of magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Last I checked, $1,200 opens him up to a 3” M-66, sans hole.

Downside there is the circumcised forcing cone if he plans to shoot lots of magnums.
    One of the local shops I went to had a clean model 66-4 (might have been a -5). I liked the size and the looks, but the trigger was as bad as the worst SIG DA trigger that I've felt. That's all I really have to compare it to. Gritty and 12+lb. The SA was nice. I haven't handled enough older Smiths to know what they normally feel like, but I imagine they don't all feel like that.

I plan to shoot mostly lighter handloads

One of the local shops I went to had a clean model 66-4 (might have been a -5). I liked the size and the looks, but the trigger was as bad as the worst SIG DA trigger that I've felt. That's all I really have to compare it to. Gritty and 12+lb. The SA was nice. I haven't handled enough older Smiths to know what they normally feel like, but I imagine they don't all feel like that.

I plan to shoot mostly lighter handloads
    Smith DA should be heavy but smooth.

Site Supporter
    The 4" stainless GP100 I have is really good as far as DA triggers go. It's extremely smooth and while it definitely has a different feel than a Smith, it's not worse. Just different.

As far as I know it never had a spring change or action job (bought it used) but it is easier for me to shoot than a S&W.

It's also extremely easy to conceal IWB with the compact grips.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List