Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm revolver shopping and need guidance

I'm revolver shopping and need guidance

I've got my 40th birthday coming up next week and I've decided that now is a good time to get into shooting revolvers. Which means I'm revolver shopping and I need some help. My wheelgun experience is limited to SAAs, a 2.5" 629PC, and a 2.5" GP100 (still have that one). I am completely ignorant of the Ruger vs S&W vs Colt comparisons, and equally clueless about revolver maintenance.

Basic requirements:
    1. Decent trigger or can be made to have one at the end-user level
    2. Will hold up to a lot of dry practice. I only shoot 3-400 rounds a month these days, but I dry practice 2-3 times a week
    3. 3" barrel. This will not replace my P229 as my carry gun, but I could see it as a hiking gun.
    4. Under $1200ish
    5. .38 special or larger
    6. Aesthetically pleasing (no King Cobra)

Just from browsing, I'm a big fan of the S&W 625 in 45ACP with a 3" barrel. I see a few "model of 1989" on GB within my budget. I also like what I see from Ruger with the GP100 3" 10mm. I would be interested in a Python if they made a 3", though slightly over budget.

Anything in particular that I should be aware of? Any certain years of production to avoid, or specific models that stand out as exceptional?

Colt is out, if you don’t like the King.

Kimber is most likely out, due to its only documented weakness being related to dry-firing: firing pin breakage reported with large amounts of dry fire. Religious use of snap caps is theorized to mitigate the issue, but it’s still something to mull over. Plus, it’s a smaller gun; the 3” version is almost exactly the same overall size as a 3 1/8” Ruger SP101.

So that leaves S&W and Ruger. Given your bias towards end-user friendly tuning and maintenance, the Ruger would seem to make more sense. JMO, but I can—and have—do a decent trigger hone on GPs and SPs. Getting inside an old ‘Smith for anything other than very occasional cleaning and spring swaps is where I draw my own line, but to each their own.

As well, another Ruger might allow for commonality of accessories with what you’ve got. I’d probably look at the match Champion that gun nut Caleb first brought to our attention:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100Matc...eets/1786.html

Yeah, I know it’s a 4-incher (in Canadian inches, no less), but you already have a 2.5. The 10mm that you mention is very cool, too—my LGS has one in the case right now—but I’ve Read that 40S&W ignition is moon clip dependent, and can be problematic. Someone will be along soon to confirm or correct that comment soon, I’m sure.

It’s either that, or go vintage S&W, and keep dry fire down—not because they’re especially fragile, mind, but because parts and good smiths are getting hard to find. Again, JMO, OMMV, etc.

Site Supporter
    If I were in your situation I'd look at the Ruger GP100 model 1753 from Talo. 3" .357 with Novak sights. I don't have personal experience with this particular one but the GP100 has a proven record and this model seems to fit your preferred requirements and has a lot going for it.

Happy Birthday and welcome to the 40+ club!

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The 10mm that you mention is very cool, too—my LGS has one in the case right now—but I’ve Read that 40S&W ignition is moon clip dependent, and can be problematic. Someone will be along soon to confirm or correct that comment soon, I’m sure.
    My 10mm GP100 isn’t happy with .40S&W using either OEM or Ranch Products moonclips. More misfires than actual ignitions. TK makes a thicker 0.040” moonclip just for .40 usage but since I don’t own any .40 guns or stock .40 ammo it isn’t something I concern myself with. It is 100% reliable with moonclipped or loose 10mm ammo. I bought my GP to complement my 10mm SR1911 but it has actually replaced it in the lineup.

In my opinion you can get a better trigger in a S&W but the Rugers are close enough, tougher and user serviceable.

Site Supporter
    Here's a 1753 on Gunbroker right now.

Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp model 1753

I should have mentioned this is the Wiley Clapp model before. They also have a stainless finish but my personal preference is for the blued. I'd prob bob the hammer and it'd make a hell of a carry gun.

Someone please buy this before I do!

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Basic requirements:
    1. Decent trigger or can be made to have one at the end-user level
    2. Will hold up to a lot of dry practice. I only shoot 3-400 rounds a month these days, but I dry practice 2-3 times a week
    3. 3" barrel. This will not replace my P229 as my carry gun, but I could see it as a hiking gun.
    4. Under $1200ish
    5. .38 special or larger
    6. Aesthetically pleasing (no King Cobra)
    1 - GP100 - I’ve done a couple which puts it on the level of riding a bike IMO
    2 - GP100
    3 - GP100
    4 - GP100 with prudent shopping you could get 2 GPs near your $1200 “budget”
    5 - GP100 in .357, 10mm/.40 or .44 Special
    6 - GP100 but my bias might be showing by this point...

I don’t know the model numbers offhand but I’d be looking at a GP in .357 or 10mm if this was my quest. For me a big advantage is the ability to run a second caliber and the .44 Special doesn’t have that option.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Here's a 1753 on Gunbroker right now.

Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp model 1753

I should have mentioned this is the Wiley Clapp model before. They also have a stainless finish but my personal preference is for the blued. I'd prob bob the hammer and it'd make a hell of a carry gun.

Someone please buy this before I do!
    If not the wiley clapp then the 2.75" m66
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872057245Name:  20200607_140447.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  56.1 KB

My son bought a 4” S&W 686 Plus last year, and that’s been nothing bought a joy to shoot. I’m looking at getting the 2.5” version at my LGS tomorrow. They’re all boat anchors, but I’m judging all CCW pistols by the 2 S&W 642’s I bought a couple months ago. That revolver makes my Sig P365 and P938 feel like boat anchors...😳😳😳

P.S. I used to have a Ruger SP101, and it’s trigger assembly was odd for me. I much prefer the S&W internals.

The 625 with moon clips will hands down be the fastest to reload and of course a wide variety of good ammo is available. The N-frame is too large for some people to conceal if that's in your future plan, but me and others do it regularly so it depends on the person and what they wear. It's a 40 oz gun in 4". There is a small group of people loading fairly high horsepower .45 auto rim for these guns.

If you can live with .38 spc/.357 mag the L frames can give you 7 rounds, somewhat slower reloads, it's about a 37 oz gun in 3". The 6 shot version in 4" is about a 41 oz gun. A ton of good ammo available in .357 as well and if you reload there's more to be had where current factory ammo leaves off.

I've carried both L & N frame guns (4") for several years now, the 3" is handy, 4" is a sweet spot for magnums concealed.

My K frame experience is well less than other commentors so...
    You can't go badly wrong with either Smith or Ruger because if you decide something else is more for you, you'll get your money back out of one bought used. I would stay with the used market unless I was certain of what I wanted, and probably even then if I could find it and hold it before buying.

User Tag List