Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pachmayr wraparound grips

Yep, the old MEU(SOC) pistols we had back in the 80's used them. I was issued one on a Med float, and liked them.

The problem was that you'd get salt spray under them, and rust would eat you alive. We'd have to PM the hell out of them to keep that from happening.

Having said that, I have a set without the medallions but with the "signature" on a 1911, just for old time's sake.

I used them quite regularly back in the 80s. Back then, "tactical " was the cool catch word everyone was using and wanted to be. So, we replaced our wood grips with rubber and bead blasted our polished blue finishes flat and happily paid for the privilege. I always used Pachmayrs rubber coated mainspring housing in conjunction with the grips and found that very serviceable. I only moved away from that setup when I started carrying a gun concealed. The rubber really snagged on clothing and was quite uncomfortable against bare skin.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I used them quite regularly back in the 80s. Back then, "tactical " was the cool catch word everyone was using and wanted to be. So, we replaced our wood grips with rubber and bead blasted our polished blue finishes flat and happily paid for the privilege. I always used Pachmayrs rubber coated mainspring housing in conjunction with the grips and found that very serviceable. I only moved away from that setup when I started carrying a gun concealed. The rubber really snagged on clothing and was quite uncomfortable against bare skin.
    Same era, same experience. I also didn't like that they came up so close to the trigger guard, so I did some Exacto surgery to make a relief cut. Then I cut the whole front strap part off. That didn't cure the clothing snagging, but wood grips fixed everything. In that same time frame, Colt shipped pistols with a knock off of Pachmayrs. They weren't checkered, but instead had some sort of inferior texturing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I like the Pachmayrs okay and currently have the version mentioned by the OP on my Rail Gun. My wife's gun has a set that I cut the front strap off because the pistol has a checkered front strap.

The pros and cons have been pretty well stated by others in the thread. They are grippy and provide good purchase on the gun. They also make the grip a bit fatter than standard stocks/grip panels. The rubber contains metal supports and they stay well formed.

They also don't support the plunger tube and tend to make clothing cling a bit.

Overall I prefer a gun with a checkered front strap and standard grip panels, but the Pachmayrs are a valid option.

Thanks!

I appreciate all your responses. Will probably end up with a pair on my DW A2 parkerized.

User Tag List