Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voter Suppression in the Digital Age

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What are the effects of digital voter suppression foreign and domestic and how can it be countered ?
    How is this considered voter suppression?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    How is this considered voter suppression?
    People seem to conflate the potential for convincing the lazy to stay home on election day as voter suppression.

Meanwhile, we have onerous voting laws, continually blocking of mail-in-ballot voting that is constitutional, and gerrymandering up the ass. We don't need foreign voter suppression, when we have domestic voter suppression right here in the U.S.

But let's focus our attention on Russia or Tik-Tok or whatever.
    __

Trump's Campaign has hopefully learned a quick lesson about advertising/believing digital RSVPs in their campaign. They did, actually, play his campaign for fools. Expecting a million people to show up, in the middle of a pandemic, in a city with a population of 400,000 people...Those numbers don't add up. Any fucking moron could have seen that - and yet....
    __

However, if AOC is taking actual credit for this barrage, that should prompt a rapid DOJ investigation. As much as people want her to be better than Trump, in my opinion, AOC is the same person, just female and younger. A narcissistic, power hungry, moron, with the sense of a pile of slime mold.

Site Supporter
    The problem is that being a narcissistic, power hungry, moron, with the sense of a pile of slime mold is acceptable if said mold might carry out your social policies. This has been a prime principle in explaining why folks who spout high moral principles vote for a mold and claim that the deity sent a flawed mold to Earth to carry out their preferred social policies.

The lesser evil mold, based on support of your social issues, can grow on your cheese and on your personal bits, if one those blah,blahs are controlled or those actions are controlled.

Now some become convinced that the mold is acceptable. Certainly, some molds are welcomed to grow in and one products. They produce things we like and use.

Ban guns or ban gays, spread your spores, Oh Great Mold.

I'm too lazy to link to the Politico article, but timeline they show has the Trump campaign realizing 300k registrations were fake before the day. To me the real story is only so many folks within driving distance were willing to show up to this rally.

I think both sides are seeing a reason to push this narrative.

Easier than talking about policies and solutions.

(Or recent SC decisions for someone who was going to deliver culture war wins.....)

ETA: It's been at least a dozen posts since I mentioned Heinlein, so I must recommend "A Bathroom of Her Own," a nice little ditty on using dirty tricks vs. "machine politics." RAH had experience in local politics.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

It's a bit of a willing favor to the Trump campaign on the Left's behalf, giving them a ton of campaign material to use over the next month.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    It's only operative to perhaps influence his turnout from the base. Chosing Orange Mold vs. Dopey Mold based on rally tricks isn't really a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ahem, if I recall there was no Russian interference in the 2016 election as testified by Vlad Putin. Perhaps, sucking up to dictators would be a starting point as well as acknowledging such interference by all foreign parties.

Messing with voting, false info and screwing up meetings is a custom of all of the political spectrum since the founding of the Republic. So it becomes more techy - what a surprise.

Both parties will do whatever it takes. Then squeal if the other side does it to them.
    Asking for help from foreign powers like China used to be frowned on.

Living on Twitter time has it's downside.

The Art of the Deal so to speak.

Trump just had the tables turned on him by a younger generation that knows how to use the platform as well or possibly better than he does.

Putting out false information on Twitter doesn't seem to be a yuge deal unless there's incoming.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Living on Twitter time has it's downside.

The Art of the Deal so to speak.

Trump just had the tables turned on him by a younger generation that knows how to use the platform as well or possibly better than he does.

Putting out false information on Twitter doesn't seem to be a yuge deal unless there's incoming.
    And thus it would probably be a good idea to have candidates that understood the dynamics of Twitter Time. Twitter time isn't going away anytime soon. Tik-Tok, Instagram, blah-blah-blah it's all here to stay. And having septuagenarians run our country doesn't seem like a great idea - in a world where communication and the ability to disseminate disinformation along with real information is measured in seconds.

For all his faults, Obama was not prone to the level of gaffe that Trump or Biden are prone to. He is a man who communicates exceptionally well and clearly, even if his administration was more opaque than the Great Wall of China. Trump doesn't even have the redeeming quality of being an eloquent and intelligent speaker.

I'm proposing a constitutional amendment, if we can limit the minimum age of a president, we should limit the maximum age. I propose that no president can be greater than 60 1/2 years old when sworn into office the first time. Yea, I just cut all of you boomers out of being president, sorry/not sorry.

Honestly, it’s funny if the rally got side swiped by folks who think it’s cool to digitally shout down opposing views. Ha ha funny in one side, but hmmmmm funny on the other. The positive to this is that they didn’t need to burn down Berkeley or some other institution again in their fervor to deny folks they disagree with the ability to freely do their thing. Not very inclusive if you ask me, but par for the course these days. Guess if Slow Joe ever figures out how to get out if his basement his rallies or whatever will become fair game. And so things will escalate just a bit more.

In the mean time, it’s going to play into DJT hands that the DNC is using Chicom TicTok to counter his rallies cause they have no other platform that can compete.

This is not voter suppression in any way, IMO. But then I didn’t think the supposed Russian bots were either.

There are only a few months left till the ejection. How far can things escalate? Can we have folks hack databases and wipe conservative or liberal voting blocks from databases? Can we have polling locations errors for certain regions? The way 2020 is going those may be challenges vs rhetorical questions.

User Tag List