Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hive Mind: Present Suppressor Best Picks

Look, you want to stick with cans that have the new de facto industry standard 1.375x24 threading on the rear of the can. That gives you an array of options from different manufacturers, direct thread, etc. So...look at Energetic Armament, the Dead Air Nomad, and Rex Silentium to name a few off of the top of my head. Cans that limit you to proprietary mounts/thread patterns are dying.

@Hansohn Brothers
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Look, you want to stick with cans that have the new de facto industry standard 1.375x24 threading on the rear of the can. That gives you an array of options from different manufacturers, direct thread, etc. So...look at Energetic Armament, the Dead Air Nomad, and Rex Silentium to name a few off of the top of my head. Cans that limit you to proprietary mounts/thread patterns are dying.

@Hansohn Brothers
    That depends on your application.

Modular cans make sense for recreational use (I have one and another in NFA Jail) but for serious or institutional use the removable rear cap is a potential point of failure.

FWIW: it depends on your intended use. For example, if you're looking at hunting use on a bolt gun, there are ones that are largely built of aluminum. They are cheaper and lighter than the inconel/titanium/etc ones, but are temp limited - you can only fire so many rounds a minute or they will overheat and fail. If you want to do mag dumps out of a semi, they aren't what you want at all, but they might be the bee's knees for a bolt gun hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That depends on your application.

Modular cans make sense for recreational use (I have one and another in NFA Jail) but for serious or institutional use the removable rear cap is a potential point of failure.
    This isn’t a modular can thing, like the Rugged Obsidian.

@kedminster
    #RESIST

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    As a total novice, my initial application would be a .300 BLK AR and some variety of a Glock 9mm, just to have. But with the specter of a rabidly anti-gun administration, I'm approaching this under the assumption that I may not be able to buy suppressors for specific applications in the future.

So I probably should have opened the thread with less of an emphasis on "optimal" and more of an emphasis on longevity and serviceability. I'm happy to pay $1500 or more if it'll last.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    As a total novice, my initial application would be a .300 BLK AR and some variety of a Glock 9mm, just to have. But with the specter of a rabidly anti-gun administration, I'm approaching this under the assumption that I may not be able to buy suppressors for specific applications in the future.

So I probably should have opened the thread with less of an emphasis on "optimal" and more of an emphasis on longevity and serviceability. I'm happy to pay $1500 or more if it'll last.
    Dead Air Nomad or Vox S has you covered for 300 BLK and any of your 30 cal cartridges and then get a separate 9mm can.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I was super impressed with a guy shooting 5.56 through a can at the range the other day. It has me wanting one.

The issue is: I have a bunch of rifles and they all have A2 flash hiders. Is there a can that will work with that flash hider because I don’t really want to swap a bunch of muzzle devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Gemtech Halo.

Griffin makes one too. Not sure what it’s called
    Speaking from first hand experience on a friend's Gemtech Halo some years back - not all 'A2' muzzle devices are created equal. If it is a *true* Milspec A2 muzzle device it will work, but the majority of A2's out there are close-but-not-quite copies. That makes zero difference in function in any situation except this particular scenario. The not-milspec A2's were either too wide and wouldn't lock up, or too loose and that made us all nervous about baffle strikes.
    Interestingly, the best fitment for his Halo was on the A2 flash hider on a early 90's Bushmaster.

While it worked OK, personally I'd rather replace the muzzle device and have 100% reliability.

Interchangeable mounts - My thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This isn’t a modular can thing, like the Rugged Obsidian.

@kedminster
    I agree with Lebowski on this. In suppressor context, modular generally means the ability to alter the length or configuration of the baffle stack. I would argue that an interchangeable mount is very different and very valuable hence why it has been widely adopted in the industry. I have not seen an instance where an interchangeable mount (ours or otherwise) caused a failure at the interface between the mount and the silencer body. This is a very easy point to secure, especially with a few drops of Rocksett and properly applied torque. There is WAY more surface area in this threaded joint than in the joint between a muzzle device and barrel. In every mount failure I have ever seen, the failure was between the mount and muzzle device.

Karl Edminster
    Energetic Armament LLC

https://energeticarms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    FWIW: it depends on your intended use. For example, if you're looking at hunting use on a bolt gun, there are ones that are largely built of aluminum. They are cheaper and lighter than the inconel/titanium/etc ones, but are temp limited - you can only fire so many rounds a minute or they will overheat and fail. If you want to do mag dumps out of a semi, they aren't what you want at all, but they might be the bee's knees for a bolt gun hunter.
    I would respectfully disagree. Aluminum is not a material that should be used for any rimfire or centerfire rifle use. I think there may be some applications where it could be ok for centerfire pistol. Titanium and high performance steels have a superior strength to weight ratio over aluminum. For the same can, designed for the same pressure safely margins, titanium will always be lighter. Titanium and aluminum have similar temperature limitations. Aluminum has horrible hot gas erosion characteristics; even with hard anodizing. I would agree that you can make a less expensive silencer from aluminum (particularly 6000 series aluminum) but if you look at the silencer from a value perspective (performance, service life, purchase cost/tax stamp) I believe titanium or other higher performance materials will always yield a better overall value. Given the costs both in time and money for a silencer purchase, I think it is a better investment to buy on value than just raw purchase cost.

Karl Edminster
    Energetic Armament LLC

https://energeticarms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kedminster View Post
    I would ...
    A comparison of two cans picked because ... I happen to have them :-)

Griffin Sportsman - 17-4 blast baffle, otherwise 7075AL, weighs 11.3 oz, silencershop says $629, comes with the following advice from the mfgr:

"Rate of Fire consideration 10 rounds rapid, 3RPM sustained (.300 RUM 24" min Barrel length)."

Sig 762Ti - titanium, weighs 17.5 oz, silencershop says $1000 [1], full auto rated

In terms of durability, I have a couple thousand rounds through the Griffin, and it's going strong. Here is my use case: I have a couple of Ti/SS 30 cal cans if I want to do mag dumps (which I don't). For me, the Griffin was a lot cheaper and a lot lighter, and I only want to use it on a bolt gun. So think about a hunter who just wants a can to save his hearing a little, and over a lifetime will only put a few hundred rounds through the can. The aluminum one is cheaper and lighter. It's not the right choice for everyone, but it might be for him (and I think it was and is the right choice for me).

[1]but out of stock ... dunno eventual price. IIRC min griffin was $500 and the sig was $1150 or something like that, as prices bounce around; YMMV.

User Tag List