Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books/resources on (gun)fighting mindset

Site Supporter

I would also recommend Rory Miller's books. Not sure I've read them all but those I have are great. Mark McYoung also has several books that I consider "must read" for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    I want to learn more about the mindset, mistakes, lessons learned and interesting stories on the subject of fighting with guns. Aside from this forum that I'm on about 5 times a day, what good resources/books are out there about gunfighting and the mindset that goes with it? Are books by Cooper and Jim Cirillo good places to start?
    Did someone say No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan?

It's been a long time but I'm thinking The Onion Field a non-fiction by Joseph Wambaugh which outlines the kidnapping of two police officers after a traffic stop, which ended in the death of one, might be a useful read.

Neurocop: the Science of Using Automatic Thinking to Guide Tactical Behavior by Jonathan W. Page, PhD, don't let the title throw you for a loop, this isn't just for officers and it isn't war stories, it is training. (I wasn't able to find a link to the book online, it is possible they didn't continue to make it available because they formed https://c2expert.com/.) If so my copy is a treasure.

I think a good reading list helps keeps me entertained and engaged and more likely to do the daily tasks that will develop the mind-body matrix that leads to "mindset".

Off the top of my head:
    Gates of Fire (Steven Pressfield)
    Bernard Cornwell, like Steven Pressfield, is great at writing about soldiering, hardship, self doubt, perseverance, violence
    Anything related to the task at hand....fasting if I'm fasting, lifting, running, etc
    Meditation guides

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. There is enough here to keep me busy for a good long time.

One of my questions going into all of this is "how does a person face extreme fear, and continue on?". Or do some people simply not register fear as much as others? Is this a skill that can be improved, or is it mostly innate? Cor_man touched on that above, and I think that a person can build resilience and toughness, but does that improve our ability to function when in a situation that could be paralyzing to an average person, whatever that means?

I've done things that scared the daylights out of me at the time (Marines, flew helos, dental boards, etc.) but every time I hear of folks doing something truly brave, it always makes me wonder how they did it and how I would react in a similar situation.
    I think there’s some truth in the saying that “you should do something that scares you every day.”

My take is that it’s not about facing fear as such — it’s about building the habit of action, of doing what needs to be done. It could be trying something new, doing something that’s not comfortable, or dealing with an unpleasant chore. Just get it done. You learn that the anticipation is often worse than the event.

You can practice working under stress. That’s why a lot of folks recommend competition — it forces you to think and shoot under pressure.

There’s value in mental preparation and thinking through scenarios. No plan will match reality, but it’s a lot easier to modify a plan on the fly than it is to start from a blank page.

Being rock-solid in your knowledge of the law and of your own standards will help minimize the fear that you’re making a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I think there’s some truth in the saying that “you should do something that scares you every day.”

My take is that it’s not about facing fear as such — it’s about building the habit of action, of doing what needs to be done. It could be trying something new, doing something that’s not comfortable, or dealing with an unpleasant chore. Just get it done. You learn that the anticipation is often worse than the event.

You can practice working under stress. That’s why a lot of folks recommend competition — it forces you to think and shoot under pressure.

There’s value in mental preparation and thinking through scenarios. No plan will match reality, but it’s a lot easier to modify a plan on the fly than it is to start from a blank page.

Being rock-solid in your knowledge of the law and of your own standards will help minimize the fear that you’re making a bad decision.
    This is real solid advice.

Having the mechanics of shooting down allows one to solve problems with their full attention. Being used to solving problems under fear/stress also allows one to be a couple of steps ahead of his/her opponent.

Knowledge of law as it pertains is huge.

It lets you press back hard and violent with efficiency.

My faith in God is also a large part of my game.

Regards.

User Tag List