Thread: AAR John Murphy's FPF Training - Advanced Concealed Carry and Tactics - Shawnee, OK

AAR John Murphy's FPF Training - Concealed Carry: Street Encounter Skil - Shawnee, OK

After attending this course, I was asked to write a review to help bring attention to this unique class in the market. I’ve done a significant amount of training from Shivworks ECQC & EWO to Sentinel Concepts Carbine & Ernest Langdon Tactical Pistol Classes - I’m a student of defensive tactics.

I’d heard so much about John Murphy of FPF Training that when a class came available localish to me I jumped on it.

3 weeks prior to the class, to my surprise, I received an email from John Murphy with links to ~4 hours of “pre-work” videos to watch. I truly appreciate this level of professionalism in an instructor. This was a tremendous amount of value!

The class was hosted by Bill Armstrong, the proprietor and driving force behind Meadhall Range in Shawnee, Oklahoma. His range is fantastic. Beautiful 300 yards range, A/Cd bathrooms, plenty of shade available and his just recently completed classroom structure with A/V equipment! It’s tough to think of a facility, and an owner, as well suited to hosting classes such as the one’s I attend.

The class was a 2 day class. The first few hours were spent with John Murphy speaking to a professional powerpoint presentation - this is unusual in the industry - and then sometime inside in the AC going over the following building blocks of “Street Smarts”:
    - Pre-Assault Cues
    - Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)
    - Pepper Spray Usage (As part of the course, the price included several POM trainers & a live POM unit)
    - Medical - Usage of Tourniquets & Israeli bandages

After lunch, we went to the range for the remainder of the day and a half of the course. John Murphy is a certified Rangemaster instructor and his firearms instruction was commensurate with that highly regarded certification. We covered some tactics and drills to build on the “street skills”.

- Concealed Draw
    - Shooting from Retention
    - Strong & Weak side shooting
    - Shoot - No Shoot Decision making
    - Incorporating OC Spray into your response
    - And more

This class was excellent. In truth, I had seen much of this before in separate courses. And that is exactly the beauty of this course.

WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?

This course is for the person who recognizes that there is much more to armed defense than the gun - that the gun is not a hammer for which all problems are a nail.

If you’ve taken a bunch of gun classes but have realized that there’s more to it than that, this is the class for you.
    If you’ve recently bought your first gun, got your CHL and maybe taken a basic pistol class but understand the hammer & nail issue, this class is for you.
    If you want to begin to round out, and formalize the layered nature of civilian self defense, this is for you.
    Last edited by THellURider; 06-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.

I still need to put together my AAR from ASAT in Okeechobee back in February. John's use of visual indicators to start and stop shooting is something I hadn't experienced before, and it was awesome. I liked the class enough that for someone serious about concealed carry and just starting down a righteous path in firearms training, it would be the second class I would send them to (the first being Randy Cain's TH101 for a solid grounding in fundamentals).

User Tag List