Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving vehicle ambushes: Shoot the threat vs Drive away

Site Supporter
    Room to maneuver is always good. I always leave a couple car lengths between me and the vehicle in front both while driving and stopped. Its often an invitation to other drivers to fill that space but then I just start over. In motion it allows additional space and time to react in the event of a sudden maneuver by the driver ahead of you. At a stop it allows for additional space in the event of a rear end collision as well as the maneuvering space already mentioned.

Its also a good idea to be aware of any limitations due to the lane of traffic you may be in. Oncoming traffic, sidewalks (or lack thereof), pedestrian traffic, protesting crowds, etc may inhibit your ability to maneuver if you are trapped in the wrong lane.

I'd much prefer to observe, avoid, maneuver, and escape then to fight in or around my vehicle potentially against multiple agressors and with family in the car.

Fight would be one of my last options.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The SUV driver in the Provo riot took a round, but boogied rather than shoot back, and made it to the hospital.

The vehicle freed him up from the crowd more effectively than shooting back, in this case, and I think it may be so in many cases.
    Getting out of the "kill zone" or "off the X" in an ambush situation is a good idea... inside a vehicle or not.

This shooting being somewhat close to me... really pissed me off. Folks painting the driver as the aggressor on social media also pissed me off. I dont pretend to know the drivers motives, but I highly doubt he was there to attack the protesters. Hopefully the scumbag who did the shooting gets a nice prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks like the guy spent more on his gloves than for sights for his pistol.
    That was filmed in Alliance OH At the PD range, Those are probably the Agencies UTM pistols from the vault that stay in that configuration full time. No reason to convert the slides back and forth.

Driving over the threat can be pretty effective too.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks like the guy spent more on his gloves than for sights for his pistol.
    One of the things that I quickly realized doing use-of-force training on simulators was that rounds tend to cluster around weapons. During FonF with sim rounds our bad guy's hands always take a beating.

I have to admit, the video changed my mind on a few things. Not all, but some. The timer doesn’t lie, as they say.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    One of the things that I quickly realized doing use-of-force training on simulators was that rounds tend to cluster around weapons. During FonF with sim rounds our bad guy's hands always take a beating.
    QFT. If I ever do that again, I’ll be wearing much stouter gloves than the Mechanix I used last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Reason enough to wear a second "primary" pistol and be able to use it to good effect with the other hand.
    Stay in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The SUV driver in the Provo riot took a round, but boogied rather than shoot back, and made it to the hospital.

The vehicle freed him up from the crowd more effectively than shooting back, in this case, and I think it may be so in many cases.
    In that case a V8 beats a .45 any day of the week and twice on Sunday...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    One thing to note is that in pretty much every scenario the bad guy was able to shoot his gun dry before any real response from the target. If you're caught unaware like in the simulation, you're going to have a lot of rounds coming in either way.

I've gotten chewed up pretty good in Simunitions scenarios exactly like this. Engaging from inside the car then exiting kind of became my default. If you're in a riot situation, that likely changes to engage then move out or just move out. Taking down one ambusher only to have fifteen more open up on you is probably a losing situation as well, and threat identification is going to be a nightmare.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List