Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Ford F-150 will update software over the air

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

But I also want a pre-blue-oval f100 or f150...
    I ran across this in my standard "let's see what those guys have today" browsing and figured in the spirit of PF enabling:

http://www.rustfreeclassics.com/Ford...Blue_White.htm

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was a bit startled when my 2016 RAM 2500 did a nav map update automatically...driving East on I80 at 65 mph. I suppose it’s a sign of the times that ECM modules would get updated the same way. As an owner, I think I’d like a ‘disallow’ setting but I suspect I might not have a chance. Hey as long as it’s not Microsoft, I’m ok.

Just because society, trends, and generations seem so intent on being contrary, I keep wondering at what point do we see a “down with technology” generation that goes out looking for old analog items in an effort to be (or appear to be) the least technological. There’s some amount of that already with “mantiques” and the like, but at some point I wonder if it doesn’t become mainstream enough to really start driving prices up, and possibly even influence new manufacturing. I’d love a new-manufacture Jeep or Miata type car that eliminated all of the whiz-bang and was very stripped down.

I really do want modern safety technology, but the thought of future cars having software issues like our consumer electronics is not pleasant. While the ideal would be a stripped down version, I can't see the auto industry doing that. So that leaves older cars, or figuring out a way to strip down the electronics in a modern car. Leave the air bags, but have a transmission that doesn't use software.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I really do want modern safety technology, but the thought of future cars having software issues like our consumer electronics is not pleasant. While the ideal would be a stripped down version, I can't see the auto industry doing that. So that leaves older cars, or figuring out a way to strip down the electronics in a modern car. Leave the air bags, but have a transmission that doesn't use software.
    That's kind of where I'm leaning. I like modern safety features and power windows (which tend to be more reliable over very long-term use than crank windows), but I don't need integrated GPS or cars that talk to me. If I want integration with my phone, I can add that via an aftermarket stereo and control what features are part of the system.

My 23yo 4Runner still runs good and has everything I *need* in a vehicle. I decided I wanted a modern stereo that could stream content from my phone and play digital content directly from a USB drive, so I bought a Kenwood head unit and new speakers. It works and sounds better than an equivalent system in my 2013 Focus!

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off to take the money I spent on my Focus and put that into my 4Runner, making it virtually "new". Granted, the Focus is more comfortable and gets better gas mileage, but it hasn't proven to be more reliable (while the 4Runner has never suffered non-wear failures, the Focus has).

Chris

OTAR was great in our motorola radios at work. I really don't think I want more methods of intrusion in my personal rides, however. I imagine it's going to happen one way or another, anyway.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Will this allow programed system failures and lower performance if it is kept too long like a cell phone?

My nephew has an iPhone 4 that he refuses the near daily system update attempts and it runs like new.

A Toyota Corolla rental (my company spares no expense ) did not have a navigation screen but it did display the local speed limit in the gauge cluster.

It also had a super annoying lane change monitor that would actually tug on the steering wheel if you changed lanes without signalling. This kinda tells me the car has connectivity and GPS even though you don't get to enjoy them.

I decided to go down the highway with my hands off the wheel (empty road) on a slight curve and the car followed the curve but was nagging me to put my hands back on the wheel. It eventually shut off the lane change monitor on it's own to discourage hands free driving.

There is no freaking way I would have this crap in a car I'd pay for. I'll drive old beaters if I have to.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just because society, trends, and generations seem so intent on being contrary, I keep wondering at what point do we see a “down with technology” generation that goes out looking for old analog items in an effort to be (or appear to be) the least technological. There’s some amount of that already with “mantiques” and the like, but at some point I wonder if it doesn’t become mainstream enough to really start driving prices up, and possibly even influence new manufacturing. I’d love a new-manufacture Jeep or Miata type car that eliminated all of the whiz-bang and was very stripped down.

All of the above. My current fun car was a version built with all the go-fast stuff and none of the heavy luxury electronic self-obsoleting crap. The car I keep saying I wish I could buy new off the assembly line is a 1998 M3.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I ran across this in my standard "let's see what those guys have today" browsing and figured in the spirit of PF enabling:

http://www.rustfreeclassics.com/Ford...Blue_White.htm

Love those old Fords. There's some old guy (10-15 older than me, at least) who rocks a late-'80s/early '90s F-150 that's pristine.

I'm actually thinking this may not be overpriced: @JRB

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=552876606

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Leave the air bags, but have a transmission that doesn't use software.
    That's called a manual. They are still made, for a little while.

Automatics have been controlled to a significant extent by software since the '80s, and are massively better for it, although the shifting is still mechanical on the vast majority of automatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A Toyota Corolla rental (my company spares no expense ) did not have a navigation screen but it did display the local speed limit in the gauge cluster.

It also had a super annoying lane change monitor that would actually tug on the steering wheel if you changed lanes without signalling. This kinda tells me the car has connectivity and GPS even though you don't get to enjoy them.

I decided to go down the highway with my hands off the wheel (empty road) on a slight curve and the car followed the curve but was nagging me to put my hands back on the wheel. It eventually shut off the lane change monitor on it's own to discourage hands free driving.

There is no freaking way I would have this crap in a car I'd pay for. I'll drive old beaters if I have to.
    Lane keeping assist is coming soon enough on all cars.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...nouncement-aeb

So far, the agreement only includes braking, but having the sensors on board enables other technologies. They will likely all become ubiquitous in time.

-------------------

Am I the only one who imagines "opt-out island" where we can go back to the tech level of the late '90s, early '00s?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Arrow

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a moment, bear with me.

What are the actual security risks we're talking about here?

I get that introducing software has ramifications of bugs and such but that's just the 21st century version of using the wrong steel or finish and things breaking when they're not supposed to. It's always happened in one way or another.

What kind of info is there to be concerned about in a car's OS?

Our phones already track us and hold our personal lives. I'd guess most of reading this thread are not as savvy with our online privacy as we'd like to be. I know I'm not but I'm working on it.

BBI said a concern was the car being bricked, aside from that, and leaving the tin foil in the kitchen drawer, what are the concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a moment, bear with me.

What are the actual security risks we're talking about here?

I get that introducing software has ramifications of bugs and such but that's just the 21st century version of using the wrong steel or finish and things breaking when they're not supposed to. It's always happened in one way or another.

What kind of info is there to be concerned about in a car's OS?

Our phones already track us and hold our personal lives. I'd guess most of reading this thread are not as savvy with our online privacy as we'd like to be. I know I'm not but I'm working on it.

BBI said a concern was the car being bricked, aside from that, and leaving the tin foil in the kitchen drawer, what are the concerns?
    When you have a private conversation and the vehicle responds: "Ford has a better idea".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List