Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk released a drop-in trigger system for 1911s

The issue with drop-in components that have been tried before was that frames do not always have the sear and hammer pin holes in the same locations, are drilled not perpendicular, or suffer some other dimensional malady. I wonder how these parts solve that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The issue with drop-in components that have been tried before was that frames do not always have the sear and hammer pin holes in the same locations, are drilled not perpendicular, or suffer some other dimensional malady. I wonder how these parts solve that issue.
    I'm a-thinkin' that would be the "minimal gunsmithing skills required" part cited on the Brownells description. I'll let someone else leap into the beta-testing role here. Empirical experience tells me that all 1911 frames aren't necessarily blueprinted and exact to Colt's specifications, and aren't like Glock frames....

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    A bit reminiscent of the Tokarev removable fcg, which I always kinda liked from a design perspective.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Saw somewhere else (forget where) a review on these and there is a locktited adjustment screw able to adjust trigger pull but required futzing. Said about 3.5 stock pull weight if I recall correctly.

Which begs the question why someone would pay $300 for a trigger feel that could likely be achieved for less than half that with a stock EGW kit?

FWIW have had excellent results with a pre-tuned 2011 Brazos kit in a 1911.

Bought the tools, stoned my own sears, and tuned springs but the Brazos kit got it there without the expense and fuss.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I noted in the Brownells reviews that two out of four had to fit the thumb safety. While that is not surprising, if you can fit a 1911 thumb safety, fitting the rest of the parts is not that much more work and uses the same tools. I like the concept of the 1911 FCG, but, requiring a safety to be fit means it is, as expected, not a "drop-in" part. I also rather buy the expensive tools and use them on other firearms than spend the money on one set of mated parts that still require me to have the tools to finish the work.

Instead of trying to turn a 1911 into a P320, just buy a P320 if modular drop-in parts are your jam.

The 1911 market exhibits such wide variation in spec tolerances that I can't see this being a big money maker. I can see it being a big headache.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I believe Cylinder and Slide has been offering "drop in" fire control for 1911s for some time. Not modules but just need to tweak sear spring, etc.

Mileage may vary.

As a person who installed one of these themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    But I like messing with the sear spring.

It's probably well made and all, but anyone who installs one of these should double check their thumb safety function.
    Can I ask what you might have been hinting about? I am by no means a smithy, but have some concerns on my setup, which was recently installed. I have 2 hammer follows (not firing strikes) out of about 200 rounds and am curious what I might have done incorrectly if anything.

Would welcome anyone's feedback, to be honest.

I was interested in this system as my recent purchase was needing a trigger and safety. But I am not a fan of the pull weight on their system.

I ended up going with Wilson bullet proof ambi safeties, bulletproof sear spring and 10-8 flatty. The pistol has a bullet proof sear already installed. Just had a low budget ambi safety and set to 5.5lba for trigger.

Excited to get her fit and shoot this thing. I also saved a bunch of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by popejp248 View Post
    Can I ask what you might have been hinting about? I am by no means a smithy, but have some concerns on my setup, which was recently installed. I have 2 hammer follows (not firing strikes) out of about 200 rounds and am curious what I might have done incorrectly if anything.

Would welcome anyone's feedback, to be honest.
    Any time even a standard trigger job is done to a 1911, the fitment of the thumb safety should be checked carefully. The thumb safety interacts directly with the sear, so the sear engagement lug must be shaped properly and fitted to the sear. Fitting the thumb safety to the sear should be the last thing done when building or replacing the fire control components in a 1911. Not doing so can render the gun unsafe -- the safety may no longer keep the gun from firing when engaged, or worse.

User Tag List